Main to house battery cable run.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That breaker must be very unhappy. How long has the breaker been doing that kind of switching?

Weight said:
That breaker must be very unhappy. How long has the breaker been doing that kind of switching?

Several years of casual use on the old motorhome, around 2 years of regular use on the van. Plus about 20 years of use on my home ham station, power supply, emergency backup battery.

The breaker on the home ham station cycled hundreds, maybe thousands of times when my power supply failed one time due to pilot error on my part, and I restored power to the supply and the breaker began cycling as the power supply slowly restored the battery to full charge, which took a couple of days. But that breaker is a 10 amp breaker with a 20 amp supply.

Most of the time, the breakers have almost nothing to do, only cycling once per engine start, and if one did fail in closed position, well thats what the other large amperage fuse is there to protect. Plus if the inline switch to isolate the house batteries is off, then the breaker does nothing at all..it gets a rest.

These breakers are cheap so I keep a few on hand, they can be swapped out in a couple of minutes.

I consider it a tad experimental (isnt almost everything we do experimental?) but hey, it works for me.