Mail forwarding near Reno

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
I have a sort of unusual situation regarding obtaining residence and mail forwarding.  I am able to use my sister's address for purposes of obtaining my driver's license and vehicle registration.  However, she would prefer not to have the responsibility of forwarding my mail to me.  I'm guessing it shouldn't be that big of a deal to have my legal address be her address but my mailing address be different.  Would it?  

Also, if anyone has done business with a mail forwarding company preferably in Carson Valley, please let me know.  Reno is okay, too but Carson Valley would be better logistically.

That's actually a common configuration, as Patriot Act provisions have made it tough to use an actual forwarder as your residential address.  Note that your mailing address doesn't have to be anywhere near your residence.

Here are some in Nevada, including the one Bob uses.

BTW, you may already know this, but mail forwarders don't send each piece; they send it when you request.  Your sister might reconsider if you let her know it could be 1x/month or every couple of weeks.  You could toss her the same funds you'd be spending on the commercial forwarder.  Easy money!

My mail is all handled by my son at our home address.

I bought him a printer/scanner unit for under a $100.

He texts me when mail comes in and I tell him whether to toss it in a pile, the trash or to open it, then if needed he can scan it and send it to me as an email attachment.

No mail forwarding needed. If it's something I actually need a hard copy of I can put it on a stick and have it printed in any number of spots as I travel.

99.9% of the time you can give a residential address and separate mailing address from the get go.

Rarely you establish with residence, then update with mailing address shortly after.

Very very rarely they only take one, just give mailing only.

Should be zero to tiny inconvenience for her.

John61CT said:
Should be zero to tiny inconvenience for her.

Unless there's a lot of mail. Switch all your statements to online to reduce.

slow2day said:
Unless there's a lot of mail. Switch all your statements to online to reduce.

Sorry if I was unclear.

What I meant should results in (nearly) all mail going to your separate mailing address, usually a paid letterbox service.

mothercoder said:
I have a sort of unusual situation regarding obtaining residence and mail forwarding.  I am able to use my sister's address for purposes of obtaining my driver's license and vehicle registration.  However, she would prefer not to have the responsibility of forwarding my mail to me.  I'm guessing it shouldn't be that big of a deal to have my legal address be her address but my mailing address be different.  Would it?  

Also, if anyone has done business with a mail forwarding company preferably in Carson Valley, please let me know.  Reno is okay, too but Carson Valley would be better logistically.

if she has a smartphone, take photos of the mail and send via email.

if you need to actually get mail, put it in a big envelope or box and send it to the nearest town's post office and put

Your Name
General Delivery
Middle of Nowhere, NV

you have to show an id to pick it up

Thanks for link for mail handlers. I've talked to Marianne, the woman Bob uses and will probably go with her. As far as my sister is concerned, she's not worried about the cost or time involved. She doesn't want the responsibility. She knows almost everything I do is online but she doesn't want to be put in a position where something important might come in and she misses it. Believe me, I've had this discussion with her and that door is not open. She is, however, willing to give me a document stating that I am residing there. Which I will be doing for the month it takes to get my trailer set up. That's good enough for me.