Lowe's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantRobertson

Reaction score
I worked as a seasonal employee at Lowe's this past spring and summer. I noticed that there were several people who practically lived in the parking lot. They were there almost every night or on rotating nights. One was a gigantic old bread van with a fig tree where the passenger seat used to be.

No one at the Lowe's talked about it much. I know no one cared at all, other than to feel bad for them. The only thing we ever did about it was to try not to shine our headlights into the cars, vans, and RVs as we drove out of the lot on our way home at night. I know it is not an official policy in any way. And there are no signs either way. Nevertheless, it is a thing that happens.

Has anyone else noticed any other Lowe's stores with similar unwritten policies of tolerance for overnight parkers?

Sure, we've used Lowes (and buy from them). We also park at Safeways, Krogers, and lots of others as long as local laws will allow. We're spending the night at Wally's in Cresent City, Ca now.

Oh, yeah. Lowe's has free WiFi for customers with no password. I can usually get it just fine with my cell phone in the middle of the lot. So, a cantenna[1] should get you a good signal from the back of the lot.

[1]Google is your friend.

Does Lowes own the building (and hence the parking lot), or do they lease?

If they lease, does the landlord give a damn if people park there?

If they lease from some big real estate holding company, does the landlord even KNOW if people are parking there?

Does the local town have any laws against it?

If they do, do the cops VIGOROUSLY enforce them, or only act when somebody files a complaint?

A lot of variables, Grant.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Does Lowes own the building (and hence the parking lot), or do they lease?

If they lease, does the landlord give a damn if people park there?

If they lease from some big real estate holding company, does the landlord even KNOW if people are parking there?

Does the local town have any laws against it?

If they do, do the cops VIGOROUSLY enforce them, or only act when somebody files a complaint?

A lot of variables, Grant.

Regards
John

You can usually answer all those questions with one simple test: Go to the lot at night and see how many cars and vans are parked there with people obviously sleeping in them. Where I worked, the cars would start showing up even before sundown. As long as they didn't pester customers or try to shoplift, nobody cared.

lowes here has tons of cars parked, out of town workers use it like park n ride, you probably blend right in if you maintain even modest level of stealth.

ASK! ASK! ASK!

I know that the Home Depot in Roswell allowed it ONLY when asked.

I used to have to be at work by 4AM. I would see RVs in the parking lot. So I asked my (then) supervisor. He told me it was allowed ONLY if they had asked permission from a manager the night before. If there was no note stating permission was given, he had no problem in booting them out of the parking lot at 4AM. They were also told WHERE to park at as we had semi's that had to get into the parking lot.

We were asked if we wanted to spend the night at a Lowe's in Odessa-Midland TX on our way out here. We were building a misting system for the radiator from their drip irrigation parts and got water from the garden dept to fill the 36 gallon water tank. We turned down their offer because we believed we could make it to Hobbs with no problem and spend the night in a public park. Nice park. Weird rabbits.

Sorry, you guys are way overthinking it. Op Par, no offense, are you on the road? Do you get your questions answered every where you camp? I have camped in parking lots even when city posted. Simple, ask the guy who pulls the carts in. I have spoken to cops in towns where it's posted. If you are not a problem, they couldn't care less. I guess I just don't think everyone is out to get me. By the way, my bonifides, been doing this since 1972. In no way do I intend to upset or offend anyone with this post, if I have, oh well !

GrantRobertson said:
I worked as a seasonal employee at Lowe's this past spring and summer. I noticed that there were several people who practically lived in the parking lot. They were there almost every night or on rotating nights. One was a gigantic old bread van with a fig tree where the passenger seat used to be.

No one at the Lowe's talked about it much. I know no one cared at all, other than to feel bad for them. The only thing we ever did about it was to try not to shine our headlights into the cars, vans, and RVs as we drove out of the lot on our way home at night. I know it is not an official policy in any way. And there are no signs either way. Nevertheless, it is a thing that happens.

Has anyone else noticed any other Lowe's stores with similar unwritten policies of tolerance for overnight parkers?

Same thing happens with Home Depot in NorCal.   Lots of RVs and van dwellers every night.

I've slept in my SUV right under a giant "No Overnight Parking" sign at a Florida Walmart. Other vans parked in the lot as well. No one at Walmart cared. Tractor trailers and RVs park in lots with signs prohibiting their parking. As long as customers are not being obstructed, no one cares.

I've slept in a Lowe's parking lot before, way out in the corner. No one bothered me, of course.

Most police officers are like anyone else. They don't want any extra work load. If you don't look suspicious, or cause some one discomfort, or make a mess, you will be fine. I was woke because someone in a neighborhood called about the out of state van parked on the street. In a strip mall in the same town, no problems.

66788 said:
Same thing happens with Home Depot in NorCal.   Lots of RVs and van dwellers every night.
I noticed the side street near the Freemont Home Depot appeared to have lot's of full timers parked there during the day.

USExplorer said:
I've slept in my SUV right under a giant "No Overnight Parking" sign at a Florida Walmart.

Many of those signs are there for two reasons.
#1: The "For Sale" semi-abandoned vehicles. You've probably all seen them. They have been parked in the parking lot for months. The phone number on the sign is faded to the point no one can read it. The tires are flat. It looks (and probably is) abandoned. The Wal-Mart in one of the NC towns I lived in and a Wal-Mart in GA near where I used to live both had problems with abandoned vehicles and posted their lots. The one in NC finally had a wrecker come in and remove 8 abandoned vehicles (I knew the wrecker owner). He sold the unclaimed vehicles. When I left the town the last time, there had been no overnight parking for several months. It was strictly enforced. If your car broke down in the parking lot, it would be towed the next morning... early. I understand why they had to do it. At one point there were 20 vehicles parked for days in the lot. Most took up two or three parking slips.

#2: it's a way to get the unwanted troublemakers gone.

BTW, there are cameras all over those parking lots. They do see what you are doing and they know how long you have been there. Always ask if you can park and where they would prefer you to park. I have spent many nights in parking lots. I prefer Sam's Clubs. I am generally told where to park and have often been told to park where the security cameras can keep an eye on me best. At Sam's Clubs I have had the night security tap on my door or stop by while I'm out watching the bats . They generally tell me they will keep an eye on me and if anything is wrong they would be there for me.

I am a former Walmart employee (quit). Night security is lax in rural Walmarts. Often there are no security cars. As I camp in an ordinary looking SUV, I have never been disturbed by the severely understaffed security personnel. Believe me, no Walmart security associate will care about one more SUV in the overnight employee section, unless shoplifting is suspected. If you park a rusty campervan with out of state plates and blankets hanging in the windows blocking four spaces near the entrance, you are very likely to be spotted and investigated.

Urban Walmarts are another story. I declined to park at the Dearborn Michigan Walmart back in April due to excessive security patrols. I don't like to be woken by someone prowling around my truck.

Don't try to park an RV at the Wal-Mart in Ft. Stockton, TX. 2009- We pulled in to get oil. We got about 3 ft away from the Class C before we had an employee out there telling us we couldn't park there. We though he meant in the spot we were parked in. Nope, he meant the parking lot. He was nasty about it. He assumed we were going to park for the night (pulled in near noon). Another person who looked "managerish" was headed towards us at a pretty quick walk. So we said okay, we would head farther down the road and make our purchase at another store. We was sputtering something but we didn't pay any attention to him. We bought the oil we needed at another store. We did not need to spend the night at either place (we did spend the night at the Kerrville Cracker Barrel that I had planned on). Since then, I try to let folks know to NOT stay or shop at the WM in Ft. Stockton, TX. I have also discovered we were not the only ones that had this happen. Unlike others, I refused to spend money there. I am currently in a town with a population of about 2000 and I think that could be considered rural. They have no security cars but they do have cameras (lots of them) in the parking lot. You can stay for days in that parking lot. I've seen folks stay there for a month. And they are not stealthy. But this is a college town and the RV accommodations is very limited.

We usually stay at a VFW or Moose club at night.Most have power and water hookup available.Besides,after a long day of putting up with me,Vic likes to have a beer or three.Anybody else stay at clubs?

Bob Dickerson said:
We usually stay at a VFW or Moose club at night.Most have power and water hookup available.Besides,after a long day of putting up with me,Vic likes to have a beer or three.Anybody else stay at clubs?

Looked at that and seems like a good plan if you have membership. Thinking American Legion or Elks club is a good idea. If you have a membership and call ahead.

We once stayed in a bar parking lot in Deer Lodge Mt.,because I joined Assholes An.at the bar.Ahhh,sometimes I miss Mt.

Bob Dickerson said:
We once stayed in a bar parking lot in Deer Lodge Mt.,because I joined Assholes An.at the bar.Ahhh,sometimes I miss Mt.

Oh, Bob,
You are making me homesick for Montana culture (not that I appreciated ALL of traditions there). I lived in MT for most all of the 1990s and traveled the state heavily for my work. There's a lot of free boondocking AND free FS campgrounds up there, so no need to miss it come next summer!