Lost on Solar!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliMayWho

Reaction score
Hi, my name is ElliMay. I am trying to get my van but an issue is not cooperating with me. I would like to have my van and make it to VanBuild but the way its looking I may not get there until the end, waving at people as they leave. I have to tie up loose ends and the ends are coming undone lol . I am from Michigan and I do want to become a van dweller. I have certain things for solar but not all and I am in need of advice before the installation can begin, please advise, thank you very much. 

Welcome to the CRVL forums ElliMay! Tell us what you have so far and what you plan to power with the solar. Do you have a van yet?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

This inquiry is way to vague. Solar is really confusing when you first start out. I hated being asked for specifications right away but they are necessary. You have some stuff, but we don't know what. We don't know your usage. We don't know your budget either. 

So with that in mind: I found that Renogy's 100 watt monocrystalline starter kit was a good starting place for me. I'm running that into a cheap 105 amp hour marine battery. Starting small with a single panel is a good way to gain an understanding of how the system works.

I just purchased a second panel to add onto my system since I won't get enough power to do much more than run the lights during the Canadian winter. I also made two tilting racks to get the most out of my small system.

Sylvan's Newbie Tips: Don't try to run AC or anything which gives off heat (toaster, microwave). Blenders will cost extra in solar panels. Plan to change your energy consumption habits. Start small and build a bigger system. If you have a cheap charge controller, get a 12v battery monitor, preferably one wired in. Keep an eye on it so you don't cycle your battery. Watch a few basic install videos both for panels and 12v wiring systems. Buy 12v equipment rather than running everything through an inverter. Finally, it's easier than it seems from the outside, once you get going you'll figure it out.

Basic shopping list: solar panel(s), charge controller, battery, connection wire and connectors, solar panel mount or bracket, cable housing (this weatherproofs the holes in your roof for the wires), inline fuse (optional but a good idea. put this between the charge controller and the battery on the positive wire), and sealant for any holes you make during the installation. Call the solar provider for wire gauge and fuse size.

Good luck.

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums ElliMay!  Tell us what you have so far and what you plan to power with the solar. Do you have a van yet?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

I have 2 100 watt enogy panels, 1 200 amp deep cycle gel battery, 1 500 watt inverter but not sine wave and without the bigger gage wire. that is it.

I am waiting for some money to purchase the van, so no I do not have it yet. It will be real soon tho. I wish I could rush things lol.  It may be tomorrow if all goes well.

Hi there - welcome to the forum. I know nothing about solar and also don't have the van yet. I will probably hire someone to install solar for me, when the time comes.

Welcome to the forum, wish you luck in getting the van , there are a lot of folks on here that know solar . Jim or solar boo diver is one of them , he has a YouTube channel that is useful if planning on solar

I finally got my van, need some minor repairs, like a new wind shield, ect, like a oil change, also the seat belt needs to be relocated, I have short legs lol. Its a 93 chevy g20, its has 77,000 miles on it. I am still waiting to get my finiances in order, please forgive the spelling lol I sure hope I can make it before the snow hits.

My advice is go with a 160 watt Renogy solar panel or something of similar size. They fit the width of a van nicely. With 100 watt panels you can fit two side by side across your roof, but the space left over will be too small for a third panel. With the wider panels that go all the way across the van side to side you will be able to add another 160 panel next to it easier if you later want to add on to your system. I fit 6 of these panels on my van for 960 watts, (enough to run a window air conditioner here in Southern Nevada.
If the van build doesn't work out for you, perhaps you will be able to get help at the RTR. I live about a 3 hour drive North of where the van build will be this year. If you are in the area anyway, I may be able to help you a bit with solar or some other project. Here is my solar build so maybe you can get an idea what I mean with go with a larger panel.

Thank you all for such nice replies, I have already 2 - 100 watt Renogy solar panels and a deep cycle 200 amp battery, I knew I should have gotten it bigger like the 2 - 160 watt panels, but I did not know. As I save, I will be collecting the rest of the stuff, I think I will get each and number my list as which is more important lol then go down the list and buy when I can.

I have 2 solar panels already bought, way back when, wish I knew to buy the 160 panels. I also have a deep cycle gel 200 amp battery. I am going to save up for another one. Since I went and bought these solar panels in advance, I will save for a 100 watt portable suitcase to add on later. I have a list to buy items and wish to buy them in order of importance as the money rolls in, I am waiting for other money soon to travel with but its not here yet. Thank you all for such kind replies, hope to make it soon down there.

ElliMayWho said:
I finally got my van, need some minor repairs, like a new wind shield, ect, like a oil change, also the seat belt needs to be relocated, I have short legs lol. Its a 93 chevy g20, its has 77,000 miles on it. I am still waiting to get my finiances in order, please forgive the spelling lol I sure hope I can make it before the snow hits.

Congrats? Is it already a converted camper or are you doing it all yourself? Can we follow the work anywhere?

I like to charge a laptop and phone. I like to have lights when I need it. I am getting a whynter refrigerator. I am getting a max fan. I have a cpap machine. I did not know how much solar power I needed so I got what I could and now I have 2 100 watt solar panels. If I have to I will set a routine up where I am able to use all of this at different times and a certain amount each time so not to go below battery power. I am saving up for another battery. The one I have will do 200 amp hours meaning half of that I think. I have been watching youtube lol.

it sounds like you have a great start. you might have to watch power usage if you encounter many cloudy days in a row. highdesertranger

ElliMayWho said:
Thank you all for such nice replies, I have already 2 - 100 watt Renogy solar panels and a deep cycle 200 amp battery, I knew I should have gotten it bigger like the 2 - 160 watt panels, but I did not know.

200w is the most common size of solar install on the forum, so you are in very good company.  :D  Adding an isolator (for alternator charging) is cheap and complements solar very well IMO. 

There is a Gentle Introduction to Solar article on the RVwiki that might clarify some of the concepts and approaches.

ElliMayWho said:
If I have to I will set a routine up where I am able to use all of this at different times and a certain amount each time so not to go below battery power.

Good thinking;  there are indeed times where optional loads can be run with minimal impact on your batteries.

The CPAP and fridge can't be timeshifted, but phone and laptop can be.

I am saving up for another battery. The one I have will do 200 amp hours meaning half of that I think. I have been watching youtube lol.

There is a rule of thumb that solar watts should be at least equal to battery Ah, and preferably more.  Right now you have 200w solar and 200Ah battery, which is a 1:1 ratio, the recommended minimum.   Adding more battery (1:2) could likely make matters worse, as the battery bank would likely stay chronically undercharged and therefore die an early death

200Ah of battery is an excellent base, and is the most common bank size on the forum  Any future funds dedicated to house power would, IMO, might better be spent on
  • more panel, if there is room for it on your van; and/or,
  • the isolator to allow charging from alternator
There are others with differing opinions and I hope they chime in.  

Mods, we may want to split/move the thread to the solar section.

Why does no one address that 200w solar and 200Ah battery is effectively a 2:1 ratio (200 solar:100 battery) since you can only use 100Ah of those batteries (for battery longevity) if AGM or sealed lead acid?

• ML4D SLA is a 12V 200AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) rechargeable maintenance free battery
  • Dimensions: 20.75 inches x 8.11 inches x 8.43 inches. Listing is for the Battery and Screws only. No wire harness or mounting accessories included.
  • Factory activated SLA / AGM battery. Maintenance free. No adding water. Advanced design works right out of the box and requires zero maintenance, zero adding of fluids compared to a flooded wet cell battery

Hi, this is all I got in a battery, no connections or anything, yet. I will try and video all improvements along the way.Thank you for all advice and kind replies, have a great day.
    I tried to put a link up but that did not work, I am sorry about that.

RVTravel said:
Why does no one address that 200w solar and 200Ah battery is effectively a 2:1 ratio (200 solar:100 battery) since you can only use 100Ah of those batteries (for battery longevity) if AGM or sealed lead acid?

Because it's not.  The rule of thumb is for lead-acid so that calculation is already "baked in".