• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking to find a solar solution.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinaTomato

Reaction score
Hey all,

I making my first trip as a full-time nomad in January to the 2018 RTR, and I'm pretty pumped!

I've spent some time on my little rig (a 1998 Honda CR-V), insulating, fixing some rust problems, addressing some mechanical issues, building a bed platform, etc. It's been great, and quite a learning experience. I probably won't have solar before I get out there to Quartzsite (slim budget at the moment!), so I was hoping to find some advice or perhaps even some leads on an economical full solar setup either before I arrive or once I'm there.

If any good folks here within the community would have advice, leads, or actual solar kits/components I'd be super-grateful (ideally, panel(s) would be of the lightweight, semi-flexible variety since I have a compact SUV).

Thanks, team!  :D

Any solar panels or offers or deals that you have already been look at?

Did you see Bob's recent review of two panels like you are talking about?

LoL, what do you want the solar for??
Charge cell batteries, laptop or just to say you have it?
A little 10 w will charge cell phone just fine, flexes, is economical, and portable.
Plus, your little car won't draw everybody's attention like mounted panels

frater secessus said:
Does the CRV have roof rack mounts on it?

I have roof rack bars but haven't mounted them yet, since I don't know what the deal is going to be up there.

I'm also open to an unmounted solution if no more than 100w is all I intend to employ. I'd love 200w since I'll be living in the vehicle and running a handful of appliances, including (hopefullly) an induction cooktop. But 200w is huge and my setup is pretty tiny.

UptownSport said:
LoL, what do you want the solar for??
Charge cell batteries, laptop or just to say you have it?
A little 10 w will charge cell phone just fine, flexes, is economical, and portable.
Plus, your little car won't draw everybody's attention like mounted panels

I'm totally open to an unmounted solution, and while I think being stealthy is important, I plan to spend most of my time outside of urban environments where being stealthy isn't a huge concern. And, a flexible panel might not draw too much attention, I think.

MrAlvinDude said:
Any solar panels or offers or deals that you have already been look at?

Did you see Bob's recent review of two panels like you are talking about?

I did see the latest videos and the Windy Nation panel looks great - it's on my short list!

I have one large portable 120w flexible panel and it works well. 

The only issue I have is putting it back in the vehicle, where do I put it, and how do I keep from scratching it up.

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought two 60 watt panels, but they will cost more than the $130 I paid for this 120 watt.

In a smaller vehicle like the CR-V, it will be a bit harder to find a place inside for a 100w panel. You might consider two 50w panels and physically attach them together with short lengths of cord or rope so you can actually fold it in half...this would make it much easier to stuff in the vehicle somewhere. 

I just wish 50 watt flexible panels were $50....but they are usually more than double that.

I'm afraid the induction cook top will be out for your small vehicle set-up.
Unless ,,,, you have a generator in the 2000w range.
Solar for that much use would just be too big for a CRV.

rvpopeye said:
I'm afraid the induction cook top will be out for your small vehicle set-up.
Unless ,,,, you have a generator in the 2000w range.
Solar for that much use would just be too big for a CRV.

So, the going "wish list" for solar is basically this:

Pure Sine Wave Inverter Continuous Power 1000W Surge Power 2000W  - $120ish
30A MPPT Solar Charge Controller Regulator 100V+ - $120ish
12 Volt 120Ah AGM Sealed Lead Acid Battery - $200ish
18V 100W Semi-Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel - $150ish

The two main power draws I was hoping to accommodate are:
1300W Induction Single Cooktop Burner - running once per day, 10-30 minutes
1100W 1.5 Liter Electric Kettle - running once or twice per day, 5 minutes each

Everything else is a low draw (charging phone, laptop, and I do have a tiny 200W ceramic desk heater I was going to try to use :-/ ).

Am I delirious? Thanks for your weigh-in!

Not gonna happen with only 100 watts maximum input.

At least, not on a sustainable, repeatable basis.

As stated above, you will need a genset to power that stuff if all you have is a 100 watt panel.

You would be MUCH better off to buy a little butane or propane stove for the cooking appliance, completely forget the 200w heater, and buy a much smaller inverter for the other minimal AC loads.

TinaTomato said:
Am I delirious? Thanks for your weigh-in!
well not delerious, but unrealistically optimistic.

Do without the inverter completely, use propane for cooking and heat.

With that small a vehicle, think backpacking lifestyle not glamping.

tx2sturgis said:
Not gonna happen with only 100 watts maximum input.

At least, not on a sustainable, repeatable basis.

As stated above, you will need a genset to power that stuff if all you have is a 100 watt panel.

You would be MUCH better off to buy a little butane or propane stove for the cooking appliance, completely forget the 200w heater, and buy a much smaller inverter for the other minimal AC loads.

I like it! Seems to be clear, concise, sound advice. Thanks!

John61CT said:
well not delerious,  but unrealistically optimistic.

Do without the inverter completely, use propane for cooking and heat.

With that small a vehicle, think backpacking lifestyle not glamping.

Heh, when I started this whole process, I planned on a much larger vehicle - thanks for the reality check.  :)

I must say at least you are taking all this well and being realistic. a lot of people would insist that they could do it because they saw it on Youtube or somewhere. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I must say at least you are taking all this well and being realistic.  a lot of people would insist that they could do it because they saw it on Youtube or somewhere.  highdesertranger

Where would we be without each other? I appreciate being able to come here and learn. I can be stubborn sometimes, but I defer to those with more knowledge and experience. Plus, you guys are cool.  :)

And with *lots* of sun + driving, of course running a high draw for 3 or 5 minutes will get replaced.

Portable solar panels. . .

With a little genny even more so

Just may not be worth designing around when propane is so easy.