Kodiak discussion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dklassen said:
You can't regulate ignorance, if a person can't read for more than 2 minutes it's their problem. Long live the Solar Generator!

Guess you're OK with companies selling 'unlimited' data plans that aren't, or lifetime warranties than aren't, . . . 
All you gotta do is spend 2 minutes wading through two pages of legal boilerplate and understand the technical terms; oh wait, we made up our own definitions.

There is nothing solar about a 'solar generator', nor does it generate anything (except large profits), so naming it that is deceptive and dishonest.

I don't believe that the dumb or ignorant deserve what they get. The world is full of people who are either dumb or ignorant, and everybody is ignorant about most things. Even the smartest and best informed of us started out ignorant about everything and had to work our way up from there. As the world changes continues to change so rapidly and become every more complex, there is more stuff to become ignorant about every day. You can't really despise the ignorant without hating the whole human race, and how is it someone's fault that he's dumb? Not everyone can be smart or informed, but that doesn't mean he should be hurt.

John61CT said:
Yes that is the target market, people who leave home for the day or overnight, the come back to plug into mains.

The resulting design choices are less than ideal for fulltime dwellers who may only very rarely see shore power.

But none of the manufacturers ever said "it's perfect for fulltime nomads"... now if they did, then I would agree that it would be deceptive marketing. I just don't think that "solar generator" is such a wrong term for these items... if they've left out the solar part, then yes and I also agree that another term might be more appropriate, like Yeti's use of "portable power station".

Most are never used with solar.

And it is only the panel that "generates" anything, including hooked up to your starter batt.

So why let the term be used for the "storage + inverter" part?

I like "powerpak". Same idea as the small ones that can power a laptop, also USB tablet/smartphones, also jumpstart your truck.

No hard line in capacity, just small / med / large.

With "portable" to distinguish from the proper installed House bank required for fridge, fans, lights as well as the above.

Hence Yeti and Kodiak are

"large portable powerpaks"

Thanks so much for this discussion. I'm overwhelmed at the thought of wiring up my future van. Hell, as a car camper for the next couple years, I will go with a yeti or kodiak. I can barely understand what I see on you tube about them. I dont really mind if you think in dumb, what you think of me is really none of my business. As long as I'm being kind and loving my life.

John61CT said:
We get people conned by a salesman they're going to run aircon off one! Is it "kind" to let them keep that delusion?
That's why I'm here.  
1.  To not get conned by salesman or propaganda, to not be conned by my own excitement, and to not be conned by my own lack of knowledge.
2.  I'm trying to suss out the best, yet affordable, power system available to run air-con, as well as to learn which air-con system is the best in terms of results and power usage, especially if you want to run it at night to sleep, that also maintains the best stealth.  A/C is my number one comfort feature to have, even before a fridge or toilet.  That's insane to some people!  I've learned how important a good night's sleep is and, if it's hot, I'm miserable.  For whatever reason, I don't tolerate heat well.  I find anything over 76°F too hot.  (FYI:  For the most part, I'll be chasing 70°F around the country.)  On the flip side, I can handle freezing temps like a champ.  At -25°F last winter, there was too little snow to shovel but, with so many seniors in my apartment building, I still had to clear it away for their safety and peace of mind.  So, I was out there in shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt for 15 minutes just sweeping it with a broom.  I didn't get cold at all.  Shorts and t-shirt are all I wear at home.  Never long pants.
But I also want to add my support the OP's original comment, too.  We all know that it's very possible to imply that someone is stupid without actually saying it.  Let's not kid ourselves.  It's not in what's being said, but how it's being said.  Individual needs and reasons are different.  When a new person comes into a forum that's established and populated with many long term, experienced people, it can be intimidating.  New folks, like myself, already feel kind of "stupid" for asking so many questions.   Our expertise just lies in different areas.  Some people thrived in English and history.  Others excelled at maths and science.  I'm the former.  Mechanics, solar energy, electrics, power, etc.?   :huh:   But, if you need creative solutions for space, detail-oriented organization, simplicity, efficiency, or need anything written for any reason... I'm your man - in spades.

I just read all 5 pages.  I can honestly see and appreciate everyone's points, so I'm going to stay out of the drama of it.  I'm new and not yet educated on solar, generators, inverters, or anything else.  I don't even know what an AMP is.  So, all I'm asking for is patience if I use incorrect terminology, okay?  I'm not trying to propagate misinformation, mis-labeling, or anything else.  

Personally, I like what I've seen on other people's videos and heard in their testimonials about this product.  I like the ease, portability, quietness, and especially the fact that I don't have to park in the daggum sun to charge the unit!  I like that they supposedly charge on cloudy days, too.  And I really like that they add to a full-timer's stealth.

But I still need to learn a lot more before.  How solar works, affordability, any DIY work arounds that do the same thing for less money, etc.,

Jack said:
 I'm trying to suss out the best, yet affordable, power system available to run air-con, as well as to learn which air-con system is the best in terms of results and power usage, especially if you want to run it at night to sleep, that also maintains the best stealth.
Please link to your thread, or start one after reading these

https://goo.gl/k4TawH

Adjust the keywords to get more or less specific

From an "English as a second language" point of view, I think the term "Solar Power Generator" is perfectly (relative speaking) being used for it. The Honda EU2000i that I have also generated electric power from gasoline, thus the "solar generator" term is not too far behind in term of meaning. Furthermore, buyer/user for such equipment - such as the Kodiak, Goal Zero, etc... - ultimately wanted to be independent from the grid, and wanted to generate elect. power from the sun as much as they/we wanted. Anyhow, the term is not important than the cost that we have to pay for it, but if many people can wait patiently, the price would come down when not too many buyers chasing a few units. The major draw back is the when TOO MANY people are waiting, hold tight their pocket, then the manufacturer(s) might fold or close business, we all become a loser. So, I am admired and happy for those who are willing to invest and enjoy the benefits early, just leave me some left over, ok ?
HAH!HAH!HAH!

Life4trav said:
I think the term "Solar Power Generator" is perfectly (relative speaking) being used for it. The Honda EU2000i that I have also generated electric power from gasoline, thus the "solar generator" term is not too far behind in term of meaning.
Only if solar panels are included in the setup.

And then that function is the panels', not the battery-plus-circuitry-in-a-box.

Which could be recharged by your Honda, anytime and much faster.

Your Honda has no energy storage, what makes you imagine it is analogous to the powerpak?

The only thing they have in common is the AC power output, and in both cases **that** function is performed by the built-in inverter!

yeah do any of these come with solar panels? or are panels extra? highdesertranger

Sometimes get a "bundled" price.

Most sold with no panels, to people plug them into their S&B mains when they get back from their picnic, or an overnight away.

And you can guess the main type of device they're used to recharge.

As big a load as a compressor fridge? Single digit percentages.

John61CT said:
Sometimes get a "bundled" price.

Most sold with no panels, to people plug them into their S&B mains when they get back from their picnic, or an overnight away.

And you can guess the main type of device they're used to recharge.

As big a load as a compressor fridge? Single digit percentages.
Depends on what size you go for. The larger ones advertise that they can provide backup power for your fridge or freezer during power outages. They're just a quick and dirty battery plus inverter with some outlets. Some swear by them, some swear at them.

The Dire Wolfess

Yes and some don't work with even an efficient compressor fridge well within the published specs.

Linked above.

John61CT said:
Only if solar panels are included in the setup.

And then that function is the panels', not the battery-plus-circuitry-in-a-box.

Which could be recharged by your Honda, anytime and much faster.

Your Honda has no energy storage, what makes you imagine it is analogous to the powerpak?

The only thing they have in common is the AC power output, and in both cases **that** function is performed by the built-in inverter!

"Only if solar panels are included in the setup."

I think you nailed it with this sentence, and you're also right about "Honda has no energy storage", but it has storage to store fluid/gasoline to generate energy. It also depended on how many solar panel that you set up, it could generate more energy and less noisy than a gas generator - such as Honda EUx000.
IMHO, the first option for me when building a "power generator" is to be used with the Solar panel(s), then the AC, and last resort is the gas generator (or wind generator) - to recharge the energy storage (battery).
Language typically being used not just to convey meaning, but also for other purposes - mainly propaganda, marketing - beside the emotional. Thus, I don't pay much attention on "wording", but the intention (whether it's there or not) of using such language.

The Kodiak's price at the first look is expensive, but if using it properly, I think it cost less than the AGM batteries in long run. I have seen it for sale at $1,499 + S&H, and the WEIGHT of it just 20 lbs is means "heavy" on my decision. For now, I build one myself a system with 500W, cost less than $700 with lithium 18650 battery & already weight about 22 lbs; if thing goes well, the next one would be much higher watt than the Kodiak's 1100w currently selling.

Thanks John61CT for sharing your thought on this subject.

A lady camping in this group is using a Kodiak to power her small pop-up camper...seems to be holding it's own after a few issues we worked through.

I notice that when hooked up to the wall charger (powered by a generator) or the solar panel, there seems to be no digital indication of charge current, just a blue light on the side that lights up when a charge source is plugged in.

DSCF2638 (Small).JPGDSCF2639 (Small).JPG

DSCF2637 (Small).JPGDSCF2640 (Small).JPG

DSCF2643 (Small).JPG

Attachments

• DSCF2638 (Small).JPG
    DSCF2638 (Small).JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF2639 (Small).JPG
    DSCF2639 (Small).JPG
    201 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF2637 (Small).JPG
    DSCF2637 (Small).JPG