Questions on how to find a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Anne the Mum

Reaction score
I would like a van I can stand up in.  

I can do a basic set up, but if I found something that was complete or partially done, that would be great, depending on price and quality.  

I'm watching FB marketplace, auto trader, craigslist and even eBay.  Age and mileage and price are all over the place.  

I'm not set on any make or model, although I like the look and mileage of the Ford Transit.  (I'm actually a Chevy girl.)

I'm not looking to hit the road full time for another year, so time is on my side.

I can start out in my SUV, so it's not critical that I find this van and get it ready before I go.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I want to be able to be stealth and boon [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]dock without a lot of attention.  My challenge is balancing that with my need for certain creature comforts.  I have ruled out an RV or pulling a trailer, although a small RV is tempting because the bath/shower are important to me.[/font]

Here are my questions.

1.  Is there a good rule of thumb on age and mileage?  I know if something is average 10k miles per year, that's good.  Some of these vans have over 100k on them and they are 4 and 5 years old!  What's your cutoff on miles, or the number you would not go above?

2.  Where else should I be looking?  

3.  If I waited and went to the RTR or other RV events, are there opportunities to find rigs?  Is it a good idea to wait and try to find caravans and communities and find something through word of mouth referrals?

4.  My gut says to try to find a private seller as opposed to dealerships.  Thoughts?

5.  Should I hold out for a high roof van?  They are really hard to find.  I'm thinking being able to stand would make it easier to access the bathroom and possible shower, which is important to me.

6.  I do have savings and probably have a bigger budget than most, but I'm a bit immobilized at the thought of buying something that is nothing but trouble, as in RVs that leak and older engines that are basically worn out.  Any advice for breaking out of that fear?

7.  And finally, I have to ask, what do you think about school buses?  I would go really small on something like that since it's just me. 

That's all I can think of now.  Thanks in advance.  Lots of great feedback on this forum. :heart:

I can't answer all your questions, but I have been looking on craigslist, cargurus.com, and things like commercialtrucktrader.com. If you can travel, maybe you can look at other things, too. Lots of auction sites.

Anyway, I see hightop vans that were used in transit for wheelchair use. Just regular 12/15 passenger, not bus style, Especially see these on that commercial site. I think a member on here got a salvage yard hightop from a transit van and put it on their regular top.

highest_vision said:
I can't answer all your questions, but I have been looking on craigslist, cargurus.com, and things like commercialtrucktrader.com. If you can travel, maybe you can look at other things, too. Lots of auction sites.

Anyway, I see hightop vans that were used in transit for wheelchair use. Just regular 12/15 passenger, not bus style, Especially see these on that commercial site. I think a member on here got a salvage yard hightop from a transit van and put it on their regular top.
Great suggestions,James, I'll check out those sites.  Yes, and I didn't expect every question to be answered.  Just appreciate any advice or direction on any of those things.  Thanks!

The school bus option pretty much rules out stealth IMO. Stay away from older class C's and they are not stealth either. A class B will give you all the amenities with stand up room. We used to walk around on our knees when we were younger but no way would I do that now. Stand up room makes changing clothes, cooking, bathing a lot easier too.

There is no perfect rig (I haven't found it yet) and everything is a compromise. Mine is as close as I can get for me.

I wouldnt worry about the miles per year, only the total. Most vehicles will still be basically OK through 200-225K if fairly well maintained. A 20 year old vehicle with 100K has the same 100K as one 5 years old. If they have records or receipts of oil changes and basic service, check them out and see if they did it at good intervals, 5K is the manufacturers suggested, sometimes longer if not severe service. The oil change places have made people think you have to change it at 3k. Not a bad idea if all city miles, but with modern oil and modern cleaner gas and engines, not so much of an issue. I tend to go 4-5K between oil changes on regular oil, and they tell me its a little dark, but not bad. Synthetic can go longer. One synthetic oil manufacturer stated their oil was fine to 10K.

See if a dealer, friend or whateve r(or sign up yourself) will run a carfax or similar check system on a prospective vehicle, it can be good info. I bought a 4runner in an area that is common to get a lot of rust. This particular one didnt, the carfax said it spent most of its life in texas and another state that didnt use salt on the roads in the winter, so no frame or body rust issues.

Speaking of rust, google info on a prospective purchase. I learned 4runners have had problems with frames rusting out and becoming unsafe, and I learned what to look for when looking at them. Same basic idea would apply to anything else, or on vehicle specific forums, they can provide good info in google site specific searches, or in joining and asking questions. I searched a number of things about 4runners, the majority of good answers and search results came from one forum, so I joined it to get more info as needed. Such things can help you develop the ability to ask the right questions, and become a more informed buyer or user. I learned how to reprogram the (infernal) auto door locks (did you know they have several possible ways to program them, or entirely disable the feature?) and other things that the dealer charges people to do and take all of about 2 minutes to do. Many things like that are stupid simple, but you can be charged quite a bit for having a dealer do. Knowledge is power.

If you have a trusted mechanic that can look a vehicle over, its worth doing and spending a little to check out a prospective vehicle.

Be wary of vehicles and prices that seem too good to be true, theres plenty of scams in craigslist and elsewhere. In looking for a cargo trailer a couple months ago, I determined ALL the really good prices were scams on craigslist. Someone claiming to be in the military and about to ship out, and they will have it delivered to your house, and pay return shipping if you dont like it, RUN!!!!! ONLY buy things you can see in person and pay in a way that you are protected. Insist on seeing the title before money is waved about and that it matches the vehicle VIN and has no liens and the correct (sellers) name.

I'm same place as you . I'll share where I'm at . The high top van is very specified needle in a haystack. Bob got his van ruined imo by letting someone put a top on. Prices to do that has went very high. So that alone let me out of the discussion. I looked at the little buses but they are drafty and not well insulated. You going to cover up all those windows? Oh they make a fine video to look at. Then I think about 0 degrees and over 100 degrees. I've heard Bob lust after 4wd. Why ? BLM land. Noted!!! A van insulated is great if I can stand up but we just discussed that. I'm now seriously thinking about a 4wd full size suv with big motor and towing package with low miles. I'm wanted to put a trailer behind it that I will build for what I need and want. 6 sides insulated. I want everything inside so it wont freeze or be dragged off. I can put a better kitchen I'll enjoy standing up with more room than a van. A shower will be simple. More room to get what I need and want. The size is up to you as it is me. I'm thinking about at least 6 x 12 . 6x10 might work for you. I'm considering 7 x16 . One thing to note is if you get one 8 feet high inside you open up a lot if storage out of your way.. So now you have suv 4wd. A good rig you can depend on because there's lots more to choose . Cargo trailer cant be beat in cold and hot weather. That's just a fact. .takes less to cool and heat them with 6 sides insulated. Solar can cool them because you're cooling a thermos bottle. It's not going to run much of the time if the construction is done with that in mind.

I also think a normal van if I run across one too good to walk away will pull a trailer easily. Now you are in two people size. You can have a bed in van if you think you are in a place you need to drive away. Dress undress bathroom shower change clothes in trailer plus cook. Just sleep in van. Options are endless but no 4wd . You will just have to lust for that.

Oops. You have a suv. I would buy a trailer now . You will need the time to get it done. You dont want to pull one I got it. If its backing it then use a friends in an empty parking lot on Sunday. Churches Mondsy thru Friday. Doesnt matter if it's a boat or what ever
 Try it if you can arrange it. Remember to turn wide.

General Ball Park Rules

I use 250,000 miles to the end times of a modern vehicle, this is my ball park figure. An example... I drive 10,000 miles a year, how many years until the one I'm looking at reaches the magi-ballpark number of 250K miles?

1996 or later, 3/4 ton (2500) or better.  That will have OBD2 and can pull a lot, someday that may mean something.

The latest model year & lowest miles you can afford.

A stand up van IS better but normal height will work & is somewhat stealthy.

Give some serious thought to a Pleasure-Way or a Roadtrek, you can have a house that will fit in a parking spot. Kinda spendy but they are nice. There are other brands that I'm not familiar with.

No matter what you get save some cash for problems, tires and other normal wear items.

Where to find one? Look everywhere! 
Dealers AND All the craigslists you think sound good, I used Search Tempest https://www.searchtempest.com/ . Ebay and even RVtrader.com .
I was looking for a VW camper once and used SearchTempest to search the west coast and AZ, NV, OR, ID.  I had put money away for the plane flight in case it was needed. I found the van 2 hours away..

You're doing this to have fun, don't forget!

Equipment trader . You need to get into commercial vehicle search. Fb is not going to get it done unless by accident. Ups vans who ever handles them is a good choice. Under 100k mi. They will be diesel.

Check into handicapped equipped vans. When I was looking , it was apparent all the hc vans were low mileage and same price as reg vans. Sell the lift to get some cash back too.