Looking into the lifestyle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderingBiker

Reaction score
Hello all......

I am retired and have been stuck in a mortage for 15 years, finally sold the house and moved into a condo... but I l still feel stuck.... 
so I just started researching the fantastic lifestyle a lot of you are living and I think I would enjoy doing this very much.

I'm a signmaker, stained glass artist, and do sand etching... I had an Aquaponics (AP) farm (2000 gallon AP greenhouse) - a small AP starter system and 9 - 4'x8' wicking beds where I grew 100% organic vegetables... I miss doing that, but need an escape

I have started making plans to hit the highway this fall.... I ride a antique harley (30 years old) so do not want to leave that behind... so I have been looking at toy haulers as my primary RV. most likely a tag-a-long type. Right now I only have a 1/2 ton pickup, so also looking for a full size to be able to tow the toy hauler. I will be looking for an older vehicle, one that I can work on, not a new one with all the electronics etc.

My thinking right now is to mix the upscale living with the down to earth freestyle.... not sure how to do that yet, but working on it...

I will probably need to do some work as my SS is small, but Im a jack of all trades so I shouldnt have a problem there.

I'm learning as much as I can right now.... its a lot to take in,  the old saying "its hard to teach old dogs new tricks"  so the learning curve will be a little steep... 

looking forward to meeting all the experienced and inexperienced nomads on the road...

be safe out there....

There was a fellow from Oklahoma that was camped near me at the 2017 RTR that had a 16 foot cargo trailer. The front 2/3s was living area and the back end was bathroom and motorcycle storage. The front wheel and forks tucked under the bed through a hole in the separating wall. It was a Japanese Harley so was similar in size. I think Campervan Kevin did a video on YouTube about it. He pulled it with a Chev 1500 pickup.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Welcome to the CRVL forums, WB! Many of us were retirement age when we took to this lifestyle. I think keeping it simple as you negotiate your needs will help to level out the learning curve. Truly, there's not much you need to get out on the road. We're looking forward to encouraging and enabling you, every step of the way.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum wanderingbiker! It sounds like your skill set will serve you well in your nomadic pursuits.
I have a toy hauler too, and though I don't yet have any 2/3/4-wheeled toys to haul it does come in handy for moving larger things and with the screen door kit it's like I have a back porch. I find that living in the trailer frees up most of my disability check every month that used to go to rent and utilities, so saving for something big ( like a used 4wheeler, a generator, etc) is actually a viable goal now.
Peace,
Angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Thanks Angie.... I am also on a small SS monthly check and really cant afford to get an apartment by myself, they are just to expensive... after selling the old house.. I have a little to get me started... my truck, bike and everything else I own is paid for... so just need a few things to get going..... Also forgot to mention that I'm a photographer and I have done years of remodeling houses also... 

I'm very much looking forward to that first big (and a little scary) first step

Welcome, WanderingBiker! Lots of useful information and connections here, for sure!

WanderingBiker said:
thanks... just checked it out.... maybe we are the only two using android :)

Well, if we are, I'm sticking to my guns.  :cool:

That said, I imagine at one of the big meet-ups like RTR we're bound to run into others who can suggest / recommend useful apps for Android. And I haven't given up on the possibility that someone else will reply with some good suggestions.

I'm on an Android too. Have either of you tried out RainAlarm? It gives you a local radar alert when rain is within a preset distance from you. I've had it for a month now. Just the basic app not the premium version, and it seems really accurate. I can see where it'd come in handy if you were camping or hiking in an area prone to flash flooding, or just would want to put things away before the rain starts.
d1657caf0e7f9232dc03bd8ed148c98b.jpg

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Hi WB, I am in a similar position in regards living and financial. I moved into a small and inexpensive to maintain condo, which I think of mainly as a homebase. 6 months ago, I bought a basic GMC V8 Savana cargo van, which I've outfitted in a very minimalist fashion, but it has all the necessities. I have done a lot of research. A lot of people go overboard up front in building a conversion, taking lots of time and money, and adding a lot of extra weight. My idea is go totally minimalist at first, and add things later.

Toyhauler can mean just about anything. As MudB indicated, a simple and inexpensive way to get into things would be to buy a 6x12 or larger enclosed cargo trailer, which you could probably haul with your pickup (not sure). You could build a fold-down bed and put a table and necessities in the front, and still have room for the bike. If you don't put in too much conversion stuff, then you won't be adding a lot of extra weight. Also, if I were going that route and getting a bigger pickup, I would definitely get a 4x4. Then you have it all, cargo trailer for bike and living, and pickup that can go anywheres. I kind of wish my van were 4x4. Also, I watch Campervan Kevin's channel, and he is constantly having issues with things breaking, when driving his Class-C down dirt roads. Too much crap mounted too low on the frame.

AMGS3 said:
I'm on an Android too. Have either of you tried out RainAlarm?

Angie,

I have not. But I will give it a try. I don't mind the rain...but I'd hate to have something ruined because it got wet and wasn't supposed to. ;)

QinReno said:
an inexpensive way to get into things would be to buy a 6x12 or larger enclosed cargo trailer, which you could probably haul with your pickup (not sure). You could build a fold-down bed and put a table and necessities in the front, and still have room for the bike. if I were going that route and getting a bigger pickup, I would definitely get a 4x4. Then you have it all, cargo trailer for bike and living, and pickup that can go anywheres. I kind of wish my van were 4x4. Also, I watch Campervan Kevin's channel, and he is constantly having issues with things breaking, when driving his Class-C down dirt roads. Too much crap mounted too low on the frame.

Thanks for the insight,   the reason for something a little bigger is 1. a 95lb german shedder :) also some equipment I need to be able to make some money every now and then... but Im now looking at a smaller toy hauler that can be towed by a 1/2 ton truck.... still a ways off before I hit the road, so by sept. I will know which direction Im going :)

I am interested in what you mean by a smaller toy hauler. Just an open trailer to drive the bike up onto? Or something bigger, so you can also sleep in it?
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200674098_200674098

Or drive the bike up into the bed of the pickup, and get a small trailer for living in? Or get the trailer for the bike, and put a basic shell on the pickup to sleep under? I had a friend who did the latter, but when he was much younger. Now he wants a bit more comfort. I have tent camped all my life, but have a bad hip (from a motorcycle accident years ago, ha!), so I got the van and have a nice 8" 3-layer foam mattress to sleep on now. Endless possibilities.

QinReno said:
I am interested in what you mean by a smaller toy hauler. Just an open trailer to drive the bike up onto? Or something bigger, so you can also sleep in it?

Or drive the bike up into the bed of the pickup, and get a small trailer for living in? Or get the trailer for the bike, and put a basic shell on the pickup to sleep under? I had a friend who did the latter, but when he was much younger. Now he wants a bit more comfort. 
Hey QinReno....

Smaller = lighter,  maybe a single axle toy hauler... still need a min of space as I will be removing the fold down benches/folding beds on the sides and replacing then with racks for stained glass and vinyl rolls, plus my vinyl cutter needs a space, with room for my harley, other than that, just a small bathroom, bed area and small cooking area... a small manufactured toy hauler will give me those options without having to build everything from scratch....as Im looking at this fall to start my new adventure...

Narrowing down my ideas on what I want as far as tow vehicle and TT. Been watching lots more of Bobs and others videos and have already started my monthly envelope stashes...

one for solar, one for food, one for gas, one for household (things I will need) and one for emergencies..

Every week now Im putting in a little cash in each one and by the end of the summer, I should have enough to
start getting stocked up and equipment installed.... 

Im looking everywhere for a 1988 K3500 extended cab, manual or a k2500.... no luck yet ::) I can rebuild these older models from
bumper to bumper, unlike my current 2004 model which has tons of sensors, etc...

Im learning every day, taking notes, making favorite videos folders..... Still have a long way to go... my time frame for hitting the road
is late sept, early october or at least in time to hit the RTR :)