Looking for recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awjuhl

Reaction score
I'm looking for 300+ watt panels that I'm gunna use as aweing for my travel trailer. Looking for recommendations for cost effect panels and good places to buy them

I am located in the fingerlakes region of New York

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I used the frame mounting points for hinges so I could aim my panel and I would be concerned about flexing to the point of possibly building an external sturdier frame around them if I was traveling a lot, maybe even a support to bear the weight when folded in.

I need to locate panels first. But thank you can use the input.

do you plan on driving to Arizona? do you want to find them locally? or ship them for a fortune? highdesertranger

Local would be best, I have a supplier but isnt very reliable can take up to months to get him to order panels. If I can get them shipped reasonably that would be nice

I doubt you are going to get 300 watt panels shipped cheap. I guess off highway travel isn't in your future? highdesertranger

No my rig stays in a 30 mile radius. I have 2 300w panels on the roof now

My rig
7f7e989863398964ec4d2367916af591.jpg

Yeah big panels have to ship freight. You can get 250w-300w panels used for under $100 but thwyre probably $400 to ship from arizona.

Arizona wind and sun jas 310w new for under $200

Might have to make a road trip.... could be fun

At the moment I'm building batterys to run the inverter. Look forward to getting the project done
1d61ddb3e51bc5cf2a4add13215021ee.jpg

From what little I looked at those packs online, I remember them saying that they swell and contract as they charge/discharge. It looks like you have them packed tightly together.

In total going to pulling an amp a piece max should limit any flex and this is attempt 7 so may be more attempts before I'm happy with the set up

The issue with getting affordable panels is you are in the wrong area of the country for solar. That means there are not a lot of bulk buyers of panels in your location. That means there are not going to be a lot of lightly used solar panels or much of a supply of a surplus order of panels being sold off at near or less than cost. Your best bet it to get on the phone and call everyone who installs solar panels on buildings and see if they can offer you a deal on just one panel the size you need. You never know, it might be your lucky day!

maki2 said:
The issue with getting affordable panels is you are in the wrong area of the country for solar.

I noticed.. lol

That is what I'm doing now but guy I'm buying from is unreliable and 6 hour drive away. Was hopeing for closer solution. And bulk buyers wont sell retail most times. Very difficult. I may have to travel down to az to get panels

You could try to fasten together and brace 100-180w ones from amazon.

Elbear1 said:
You could try to fasten together and brace 100-180w ones from amazon.
Not very cost effective

Why? 100w about $80 a piece. 3 should do. Some angle iron or aluminum around parameter.

Price per watt 300 what panels a cheaper for more power. So 100w panel is $99. 300w is $200. Plus $40 in fuel to fetch them less materials needed to wire them and such because it's less panels I would like to get around 2400w out of this project

Latest posts