looking for group 24 true deep cycle FLA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
please dont read into this any more than i have asked
this is a thread looking for a battery. not a thread on how to charge lithium

I was just pointing out if you go lithium what would have to change. You brought lithium up and I responded.

Seminole Wind said:
i just may have to go lithium.
 . . .
as for only going to 20% depth of discharge. that will certainly give you lots of cycles. but that 0-20 range if the worst efficiency as far has the energy required to fully recharge the battery.

My 2¢:

Might be worth your while to get a cheap 12V marine battery at first and learn your system while saving money for LiFePO4.  If it dies early you are not out much.  1500 cycles is 4+ years of daily use.

Efficiency of charging from 80% to 100% full is only an issue if you are using a generator or alternator.  It takes a long time (>2 hours). The energy is small; cheap on shore power or you are already capturing it with solar anyway, so its free.

look spiff etl., i know what i am doing. i have been living off grid with solar since 97. i have built numerous systems for other people. i have studied lithium for 2 years, keeping up on what is and isnt working. i personally run banks consisting of golf cart batters and another using 3 trojan j385 12v batteries. if i need help setting them up i will ask.

all i asked about was help finding a battery to fit a particular need. why do so many of you insist on derailing threads with unrelated information

please lets keep this on topic and spare me your off topic opinions on what you think i should do.

did you ever think i may be just trying to find a better battery for the next time a customer comes to me for a solar install and their little class b only has a group 24 battery space and they dont want to give up living space or pay custom fabrication to cut out and shoe horn in something larger.

and before you say it. NO, i shouldnt have to say that in the first place.

i should be able to ask for a source for a battery and not have to wade through people telling me i need a bigger battery or telling me i should star with a crappy battery till i learn just so i might find one response where someone actually answers my question

thanks, have a nice evening and people refrain from posting off topic "advice"

so in case you forgot my original question, i am looking for a true deep cycle battery that fits in the space of a group 24. simple. lest stay on topic

What makes a deep cycle battery is the thickness of the plates. Is there room for thicker plates in a Grp 24 case and at what point do they take up so much of the room that they become acid starved?

Lifelines are suppose to be a cut above. Lifeline's site claims thicker plates. They also claim 1000 cycles to 50%.

http://midstatebattery.com/lifeline-deep-cycle-batteries

Seminole Wind said:
i just may have to go lithium.

but i am still looking. i am hopeful there is some other industry out there that will cross over and give me what i am looking for.

as for only going to 20% depth of discharge. that will certainly give you lots of cycles. but that 0-20 range if the worst efficiency as far has the energy required to fully recharge the battery.
My comprehensive post above was pretty definitive.

Those are true deep cycling numbers you got from Trojan.

You do not need an answer back from the other companies I listed, just read their catalog online.

What "other industries" could you mean?

By limiting yourself to that one small automotive size, you will need to replace more often, just a fact of life. Either accept it, modify the install space to take GCs, or take the risk of paying 5x more for LFP.

There are no other viable options.