design flaw

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Well I was not quite sure which category to post this in.. 

Refer to the photo 

So in my designated Battery location, I am running into an issue.. 

From what I see, many 100ah agm batteries are 10 inches tall.. 

So far I have only seen one battery that will work.. I also have not done a lot of research yet

but from what I have seen so far I am limited to the battery below..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...ery-Group-Size-27DC-12-Volt-750-MCA/164242687

AND that is if the total height of the batter is from the top of the posts.. 

ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME, but must stay with AGM
I am sure a lifo4po battery maybe have a lower profile.. But I am not going to put up the money for one..

Attachments

• 20210710_131722.jpg
    20210710_131722.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 16
I have 3 of those Walmart batteries on order to be picked up tomorrow. If you haven't gotten a verified measurement by then I'll measure them.

The sealed gel type batteries (Optima) can be mounted side ways. Most are expensive and Optima is now made in Mexico and has gotten many poor reviews since then but there are others. Maybe a side post battery?

That Walmart battery in the link is not an AGM/SLA.
The image shows cell covers indicating that the acid mixture is liquid.

The Walmart group 29 is a bit deeper cycle, no idea on the measurements. I’ve just finished an 280ah Alibaba.com LiFePo4. I’ll write it up.

Yeah that link is not an AGM. It does say maintenance free but it has caps, odd. Those combination batteries are not true deep cycle batteries anyway. Highdesertranger

I meant to ask what is that you are measuring? you just can't raise that up to give you the clearance? Highdesertranger

bullfrog said:
The sealed gel type batteries (Optima) can be mounted side ways.

All AGM batteries can work on their sides, their ends, upside down or whatever.

I have two of those Walmart batteries in my bass boat. They sit in the boat in these "chilly" Maine winters, outdoors, just under a boat cover. Two years ago I forgot to pull the drain plug to the hull when I put the boat away and discovered in the early spring that both batteries were completely submerged in a solid chunk of ice. They're still taking a charge (I've been fishing with them two times this year). They are nine years old. So, I'm here to say that I don't know if they're right for your application, but they've been great batteries for me.

The Walmart group 29 deep cycle battery is 9.5" tall at the top of the posts. I'll be picking up the group 27 batteries later today and will post the height.

I've had good luck with Walmart batteries too. 9 years on the starting battery in my truck, 5.5 years on the group 29 deep cycle RV battery under heavy use.

@highdessertranger

that would be the floor.. could I raise it yes, and I thought about it.. But I also would need to adjust everything else.. the bed frame and the cabinets. and I just don't want to get into that

@mrnoodly,
that is very good to know.

@kklowell
I am guessing you are talking about the deep cycle battery I linked first(which was a mistake)
however if it would fit and get me by I would take the 29 or 27 group battery that your talking about.. both of those batteries are less then $100

@hugemoth

I may have read it wrong, but I am pretty sure the measurements for the 29 was 10" high.. If not.. it might work.. But I would love to have a little more working room..

DLTooley said:
The Walmart group 29 is a bit deeper cycle, no idea on the measurements.  I’ve just finished an 280ah Alibaba.com LiFePo4.  I’ll write it up.

I have 4 new walmart group 29C marine batteries next to me now.  9.5 inches from the base to the top of the terminal

oops.  Just saw Hugemoths post

so verified

Ok so here is something interesting I just did a search on mounting batteries in different orientations

Seems like SLA, AGMS both can be mounted in any orientation except upside down

The results of my search was scatter across different forums

So there a few different types of Sealed Lead Acid(SLA) batteries,

1. There are GEL
2. There are AGM
3. And there is plain old SLA

The first 2 you can mount in any positions to an extent, check with the manufacturer.

But #3 must be mount upright with the terminals on top. To tell if you have a plain old SLA just pick it up and shake it if you can hear/feel the electrolyte sloshing around it's a plain old SLA and must be mounted terminals up.

Highdesertranger