Looking for Bob's caravan to Ehrenburg

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norcalauren

Reaction score
Just arrived at Ehrenburg from North CA.  Been driving all night. Supposed to meet Bob at his camp but I don't know how to get there from Flying J. My understanding is that he is caravaning from the RTR today. Where can I  meet the caravan or can I  get directions to the camp area? Thanks...My first time here and newbie nomad so I  am unfamiliar with area.

There is a search option in the top menue bar.

I'm going to meet her today and guide her over, but this year I need to get away and recover before I go to Ehrenberg and be with more crowds. So I'll take a week and go off and be alone then head over to Ehrenberg after that.

so now that its march...is the tribe still in Ehrenberg? I could use a tribe and as much info as I can get about this lifestyle...will there be another location for the tribe after Ehrenberg?

There's still a lot of the tribe up on the plateau at Ehrenberg. Some will be there for another month or so, some will start drifting off to other locations but a lot of them will all end up in and around Cottonwood when it gets too hot in Ehrenberg. I just moved to Lake Havasu City because after 3 months my feet were getting really itchy.... :D :D

Ehrenberg is at about 400' above sea level, Cottonwood is at 3,000 ft so it's great in the spring. Come summer time those that stay in AZ for the summer will drift on upwards in elevation and end up north of Flagstaff at 7,000 ft.

A lot of us disperse for the summer to either head back to our places of origin or to travel during the summer months and then congregate again in the late fall in the place where it stays warmest during the winter.

Hi lilhippytoo, people are starting to clear, but me and my partner will be here for another 6-7 days. Where you at? Its just us 2, but we are fresh off the boat with the mobile living, so we would prob share similar issues. Later tater!

Almost TThere said:
Ehrenberg is at about 400' above sea level, Cottonwood is at 3,000 ft so it's great in the spring. Come summer time those that stay in AZ for the summer will drift on upwards in elevation and end up north of Flagstaff at 7,000 ft.

A lot of us disperse for the summer to either head back to our places of origin or to travel during the summer months and then congregate again in the late fall in the place where it stays warmest during the winter.

This is super helpful. I just got here to Ehrenberg last night, and thankfully other people from the forum are still here. Knowing some places to head next and still be around friendly folk is  when you are such a newbie as I am, and are so far from "home". One question though: which Cottonwood? The wilderness area? The city? Some other place? I don't know the shorthand yet.
Parker

Hi Wabbbit ...I am in Ashland or...jumping into this kinda late I guess...was either heading to the slabs till I heard about Ehrenberg and the tribe...that's an excellent question about which Cottonwood...not even sure where it is...Az?

Cottonwood AZ is about 30 to 40 minutes south of Sedona and about a 1/2 drive north of I 17 on 89A.

The area is popular in the spring and fall because it is about 3000' (Sedona is 4000'), and has 2 national forest areas so there is a tremendous amount of dispersed camping for us.

The weather there is cooler than Ehrenberg when it starts to get too hot but not so cold like it would still be at 7000' north of Flagstaff. It makes an excellent middle ground place to spend the transition seasons.

One can choose to be less than a 1/4 mile from the paved highway or you can go several miles back in and see no one for days.

Last year some of us found a spot high on the edge of a plateau where each morning we watched the hot air balloons on their sunrise flights out of Sedona. The red rocks of Sedona are spectacular and are visible from a long way off and from a lot of the dispersed camping. After a couple of weeks there I moved closer to the highway so I could go sightseeing rather than just sit and watch the sights... :rolleyes: And when I wore out my welcome there (14 days), I simply moved less than 10 minutes to the other side of Cottonwood and in to the 'other forest'.

There is also a whole lot of sightseeing that can be done, anything from Pueblan and Tusayan ruins to Jerome perched on the side of the mountain. And of course a whole lot of time can be spent just watching the rocks change colors with the sun and clouds... :D 

The community center offers $5.00 day passes where you can use any of the facilities including the gym, tennis courts, pool and of course the showers. There's lot of good dining if that's your thing too. WalMart and Home Depot are handy as well as a lot of other shopping.

thank you for the info...and its not a problem to be camping out of a car of tent in these Cottonwood locations? pet friendly?

Almost There said:
Cottonwood AZ is about 30 to 40 minutes south of Sedona and about a 1/2 drive north of I 17 on 89A.

sounds like a pretty good place to start for me...perhaps I will aim for cottonwood instead of the slabs or Ehrenberg...you all are so awesomely helpful!!

29chico and I were thinking of meeting up in Sedona next week but it might be nice to reconnect with the tribe. That will save the cooler Sedona for when Cottonwood gets too hot. I'd pull out of Yuma early if I were not waiting on some packages still. It's going to be in the 90's later this week and will be really pushing the little A/C hard.

Jim, there's a 5 mile radius around Sedona that, even though it's BLM land, there is no dispersed camping.

By the time you're south of the Sedona town limits AND the  5 mile radius, you're closer to Cottonwood than you are to Sedona.

Most of use the term Cottonwood/Sedona like it was one area... :D 

We shop in Cottonwood because it has the stores like Home Depot and WalMart, some of us tourist browse in Sedona. Personally other than a couple of good restaurants, it's a tourist trap more like Gatlingburg than anything else.

Let me know when you're planning on getting to the area.

Two of us are in the Lake Havasu City area and are planning on moving over to Cottonwood in a couple of weeks. Just giving it a bit more time to warm up there because one of us is in a small car with no room for a heater.

We are still in Ehrenberg area and in the shade its almost chilly! I still always have my hoodie on. Going in to any of the towns near here and its warmer than here with the breeze blowing.

I have ended up in camp verde. Long story. Ugh!  Looking to connect with others if anyone is going to be in the area soon, Do drop a line.

Sonya

I have ended up in camp verde. Long story and a long day. Ugh!  Looking to connect with others if anyone is going to be in the area soon, Do drop a line.

Cheers,

Sonya