Looking for advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsychic

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Thanks for stopping by to offer your advice. I've been interested in vandwelling ever since I first heard about it several years ago. I thought it sounded fun and would be a great way to lower expenses to help pay down some debt faster. Well life threw me some curveballs, like it can, and now my renewed interest in vandwelling is to keep a roof over my head. That being said I'm not in desperate straights needing to act immediately. My plan is to learn all I can and save all I can over the next 6-9 months so I have the most flexibility.

I've been spending time learning on several forums but frankly you guys and gals seem the most sincere and the least snarky. I've read some great advice about how to choose a van that fits my personal needs and goals and I've come up with a priority list.

While just perusing Craigslist as I often do I came across a van I might like to look at closer. This by no means needs to be the one. Actually I'm going to take some of the advice I've read about how to check out a vehicle and put it into practice so that I will know when the right one for me presents itself. But something about this one appeals to me so much that I want to check it out and I registered here to ask advice instead of just reading what others were writing.

Please look and let me know what I should be wary of: here

I have already contacted the owner and asked these questions:

Do you have receipts for the work you have listed? all or most?
How many miles would you say you/son have put on in last five years?
Are those original miles to the vehicle or is that a new engine?
As far as you/son are aware has it been in any accidents? Had body work done?
Will it start and run enough to do a test drive if it's jumped?

Answers received back:
Hopefully I'll cover all of the questions...

Most of the receipts yes
Original miles yes
He's probably only put on about 3000 miles total over the last 5 year's. Didn't get his license until he was 18 and originally bought it when he was 15.
I don't know of any accidents but it had a new paint job after we bought it.

It will start and run, but some of the issues the ecu controls make it run somewhat sluggishly.

Hope I covered everything. If I missed a question, please let me know.

A few things to know about me. I like a project and I'm not afraid (much) of not knowing something or looking stupid. I love to learn and expand what I can do. I like to be self sufficient. I can be patient and sacrifice to meet a goal. Money is tight but I can put a little away every month to add to my small savings. All that being said, as far as working on cars, I never have. I have a concern because I am physically not very strong. I have only the basic tools right now.

I actually wasn't looking for a passenger van. I'd rather have a cargo van and add only 1 or 2 windows but I can make it work. I like the size of a passenger van. I've driven these size vans before and have been fine with parking and such.

Now my questions to you kind folks:
Since it's only been driven about 3,000 mi over the last 5 years will the belts and hoses need to be replaced again as they were 5 years ago because it's sat for most of the time? Even if that's the case can a newbie like me do some/most/all of the work once I get the parts and a repair manual?
Is the price about right? A thing about price is I've found that all vehicles are going for much higher than kelley blue book in this area. I moved here several years ago and was looking for a car and was constantly frustrated that everyone wanted so much over blue book for a vehicle. Then it dawned on me that the market will only bare what people are willing to pay so it just must be more expensive here than where I was at previously.

I'll probably go take a look at it just to get my feet wet looking at a car from a different perspective, i.e. with a discerning eye. I will be bringing a flashlight and grungy clothes so I can look for drips and leaks. Anything I should specifically ask? I have no one to help me look at cars now so need to learn to do it myself.

Thanks again!! All your advice will be read and greatly appreciated. Sorry I wrote such a novel:blush:

I bought an 89 Dodge Merry Miler, a small class b with 60000 miles. It too had sat for a few years, used a couple of times to go fishing. All the radiator hoses were iffy, so I just had a mechanic replace all hoses, belts plugs and plug wires. I am mechanically declined so I have someone else do it but for someone handy it should be no big deal.
So in answer to your question, yes replace the things while at home, avoid high prices on the road.

Welcome to the forum.. Many friendly folks here who can and will offer help.

Bob J,

Sitting unused for long periods of time is far more damaging to a vehicle than driving it daily.

It's hard to say about the belts and hoses, but there are other concerns as well. Have a mechanic check it out bumper to bumper and save yourself a lot of potential grief.

It may be that this van is OK, but you want someone who knows about vehicles and is not biased telling you the real condition of the van.

@ bobj - thank you for nice welcome and letting me know your experience. It sure does seem like there are a lot of friendly folks on this forum. I'm looking forward to getting more involved.

@66788 - Oh I will definitely have whatever van I am serious about checked out by a mechanic. As I'm just transitioning from the lurking on forums and viewing YT videos to actually starting to look at vans in person I was just looking for some advice on what to look for, especially since it's been sitting. I'm not sure what about this one called to me to take a look. Probably not the van itself, just my time to start that next step. I'm in no hurry and want to take it slow.

Thanks for saying hi! You folks are awesome!

If it's been sitting for a while, the starting battery may have completely discharged, meaning it may have to be replaced. Starting batteries don't like being completely discharged. That's easy for even an amature to replace, but if you buy one at AutoZone or Advance Auto, they will install it for you. Expect to spend about $100 on that, but if you drive often it should last 3-5 years.

Second thing I worry about when an engine hasn't been in use is the fuel system. If it's carbureted, then it should be removed and thoroughly cleaned. You can do that yourself if you're extremely careful to keep all the parts. There is a tiny part called the needle valve that's easy to loose and hard to replace. If it's fuel injection, you might get away with just adding some fuel system cleaner to a fresh tank of gas and driving it at high speeds for a while. Even if it's carbureted, then a bottle of fuel system cleaner is a good idea.

Pick up a Haynes (or similar) repair book at the local Advance or Autozone parts store the is ofr you r make/model. I could tear down and rebuild the engine or transmission in the jeep with ours.

We can be snarky too! Just give us a chance! Replacing belts and hoses are a good idea. Replacing a sepentine belt in your driveway is much easier than replacing a serpentine belt on the side of the road. Even brand new vehicles need work.

Have you ever considered going to an "open to the public" auto auction. Some are good, others not. We have bought many vehicles that way. Paid roughly 1/2 of lot prices. We pay cash for everything.

If I understand correctly, it has not been just sitting the past three years. It's been driven. If it has an ECU, I dont think its carbureted. An ECU is not a difficult swap. Ask the owner to do the swap himself, and if it clears up the roughness, you'll reimburse him the cost of the part.

When were the brakes last done? If you go see it, check for exhaust smoke when it starts (cold engine start). Before he starts it for you, check the engine and see if it's warm - meaning he started and ran it just before you came. Sometimes an older engine with problems will start fine when warm, but be difficult when trying to start cold. If he can't start it, don't buy it. If it smokes, no matter how lightly, walk away from it.

Hoses should be somewhat soft and pliable. You can squeeze them a bit. When they age they harden and start to crack. Belts should have no of cracks. They are easy repairs.

Check for oil spots on the ground around he vehicle. If there's an oily spot elsewhere on the drive, that may be where he parks the van when no ones looking at it. Look for damp spots inside the engine, or green on the radiator - indicating a leak in the radiator. Look for oily dirt or oil on the bottom of the engine.

Check the radiator fluid n the radiator ( before starting the engine) and the reservoir. If the reservoir is full but the radiator isn't, there may be a vacuum leak in the engine which prevents the radiator from sucking fluid from the reservoir when it needs to. Speaking from experience on that one lol. Could be a major repair.

Does the transmission shift smoothly or does it thump? Should be smooth. Any noise when braking the van? If it squeals may need brake pads. Metal sounds needs rotors as well. Soft pedal - have to push the brake down - means the brake fluid is low, has air in the line, and may have a leak. Brakes are easy repairs. Transmissions are not. I won't touch a transmission.

Does the steering make a noise or feel rough when turning the steering wheel fully left or right ( while driving)? Could need new pump or tie rod ends. On the tie rod joints, there should be a nipple ( not on Fords of that era) where grease is pumped into the joint. Grease may protrude from the joint. Is the grease fresh, old or does it look dry? If it's fresh, it may indicate he cares for the vehicle. If it looks dry and corroded - not so much. May indicate a repair in the near future.

+1 on having a mechanic check it out. I'd assume - personally - id be putting $1000 into repairs into any older vehicle. Factor that into your decision. You may not need to, but be prepared to do so.

Just my thoughts.

The neat thing about shiny paint jobs, is you can stand by the corner of the bumper, and look at the reflections along the side of the vehicle. Any waves in the reflection indicate bumps and damage which was not professionally repaired. Most repainted old cars were done without proper prep job, so it's normally not a big deal, unless it indicates a strong impact, perhaps, near the front wheels which may throw alignment off, or a heavy impact which may damage the frame.

Oh yeah - when driving on a level surface (an empty parking lot, not the graded road) does the car track straight if you lift your hands off the wheel? If it pulls to one side, needs a repair. Front brakes, alignment, tie rod ends or some such.

Pull the oil dipstick, if it's milky or has any water in it, bad engine. Pull the tranny dipstick (i think the engine needs to be idling) same deal. Make sure its pink and not smelling burned. Bad transmission. Also look for what looks like glitter in either fluid; them's metal shavings. Massive breakdown in the near future.
+1 for Haynes manual

If you can't assess the van's mechanical condition yourself, around $75.00 should get you a competent mechanic to look the vehicle over for 1/2 an hour or so and give you his opinion. Money well spent.

Phreedom said:
If you can't assess the van's mechanical condition yourself, around $75.00 should get you a competent mechanic to look the vehicle over for 1/2 an hour or so and give you his opinion. Money well spent.

Actually I spoke with my mechanic a few days ago, just to see what he would charge and to get his general ideas. He told me he wouldn't charge me anything to look at a vehicle. The caveat being that I'd need to give him a few days lead time if possible. He'd only charge me if I wanted him to do a compression test. Not sure what that is but going to google it. If I can't find it maybe someone might want to explain and say whether it's necessary or not.

Not sure if that's the way they deal with all clients or just me. I've been going to him for my mom's car for the last year. I really like them so anyone in the Portland area who wants a mechanic recommendation I'd be more than happy to give you their info.

@compassrose Well good natured snarky is fun. Snarky trolls who just post negative, unhelpful or mean things for no apparent reason are a whole different thing, i.e. Reddit, YT comments, etc. I have considered it a long time ago but didn't. Maybe I'll look into it again. I'm going to be paying cash anyway. Cash talks. Once I buy a van I'll be buying a Haynes.

@concretebox The battery and alternator have been replaced recently since that's what they thought was causing the charging issues. Took it to a shop to see it was the ECU. He's going back and forth on price now, wanting to jump it up to 3000 and now doesn't feel 'it's safe' to have a test drive but I can buy as is if I want so I'm walking away. This transpired after I asked if he had used a code reader to determine it was the ECU or had taken it to a shop. If by code reader I wanted to know what codes were listed and if by a shop I wanted to see the estimate and/or contact the shop. I may be mechanically inexperienced but I'm not naive. Buy a vehicle w/o a test drive:dodgy:

@Seraphim Thank you sooo much for your very detailed post. I appreciate the time it took to put that all together. I have started to put together a list from your post and other threads that have all these great advice given. When it's done I'll post it for anybody else who wants to use it after me.

@whichlers Thank you for your input as well. I have added your advice to my checklist.

You guys and gals are great. I've been falling asleep every night with my laptop open to the forum and dreams of vans and the open road dancing in my head:D Ok, well maybe the dreams are a little fanciful but the falling asleep while wanting to read just one more thread is true enough:p

He's jacking up the price to $3000 but he doesn't feel its safe to test drive? That doesn't make sense, I'd walk away too :) Good luck and keep searching, I hope you find something :)

gypsychic said:
[He] doesn't feel 'it's safe' to have a test drive but I can buy as is if I want so I'm walking away.

You are a wise lady! The excitement of getting that new vehicle often overrides that little voice telling you how to proceed. Something tells me you are going to find the perfect rig and get the perfect deal...

Latest posts