Looking for a PSW inverter, what do you have and/or recommend?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
Looking for a pure sine wave inverter for 12v with 120v output around 1000w.
I've looked at a few different brands and having a hard time choosing one.
A wired remote would be nice as well.
Just like my muffler, I don't want to pay a lot for this inverter.
I'd like to get a Voltworks, but too rich for my blood, looking around $200 or less.

So what do you use, do you swear by it, or at it?

So in other words, you want wine for beer prices.

A good pure sine 1000W inverter is not going to be under $200, unless you can find one used.

My recommendation is the Samlex PST1000-12. It's one of the most efficient inverters you can buy, and in my experience Samlex is rock solid. I have the 2000-12 and the 2500-24. It's $375 street price though.

EDIT: The Samlex SSW series goes for about $245. It's not as efficient as the PST series, but it's still a really good brand and pure sine wave.

https://www.samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=109

I bought a Xantrex on the recommendation of Jim in Denver. he said they had the best customer service and warranty service. I got this one,

https://xantrex.factoryoutletstore....r.html?category_id=83094&catalogitemid=154914

it's under 200 bucks but then you need to remote,

https://xantrex.factoryoutletstore....l.html?category_id=83092&catalogitemid=154917

i got both. they are just over a year old and work great.

as a side note my last inverter took a dive it was a el cheapo brand and the company is nowhere to be found.

highdesertranger

Uncle Todo said:
Looking for a pure sine wave inverter for 12v with 120v output around 1000w.

Will it be used to power a microwave?

No, I don't wine for beer prices, I don't want any alcohol at all I just don't need a high end one, plenty to be had for around $200.
I had been looking at Renogy but their CS seems to be shite of late.

Thanks HDR, good links!

Nope, no microwave, it'll be used for small appliances and 170w laptop charger.
Appliances are Instant Pot and egg steamer.
Laptop will only be plugged in during heavy usage, otherwise just for brwosing etc will be connected via 12v adapter.
Aside from that I may run a Dremel and invest in a cordless drill.

Lol, I want to edit above but it's kinda funny...

^
OK, I was asking because most things run fine on a regular MSW inverter except for microwaves as I understand it.

I have a MSW 1000w that is just used for powering small power tools and a Dirt Devil vacuum.

For charging batteries and running a laptop a smaller 400w works fine.

I don't use much AC power.  I have a $26 Harbor Freight modified square wave inverter.  The original post doesn't describe the intended load.  I suggest considering my approach, go cheap, upgrade when you really need to.  I haven't needed to yet.  My inverter has only powered electric motors so far.

The cheapest inverters typically don't have remote controls.  I added two wires to the back side of the switch on my inverter and ran a pair of truly skinny wire to a remote switch.

Uncle Todo said:
No, I don't wine for beer prices, I don't want any alcohol at all 

Nope, no microwave, it'll be used for small appliances and 170w laptop charger.
Appliances are Instant Pot and egg steamer.
Laptop will only be plugged in during heavy usage, otherwise just for brwosing etc will be connected via 12v adapter.
Aside from that I may run a Dremel and invest in a cordless drill.

Lol, I want to edit above but it's kinda funny...

Where I come from "wine at beer prices" is just a saying. 

I've been running my laptop off 12vdc adapter for years with never any problems,  not sure what you mean by "heavy usage".  

I do use my inverter (700w cheapo) for the dremil, the shop vac, the coffee grinder and charging my batt tools batteries, I hardly ever use it. They do make a Ryobi 12v plug in charger for the batt tools,  I'll be in HD someday and see one & get it.

I tried the table top ice maker with the cheap inverter but the ice maker actually vibrated (I could see it shaking) with the cheap inverter so I stopped that. If I'm ever parked where I think I really need the ice maker & spend the money for a PSW inverter.

Good luck with your search!

Yeah, I didn't literally mean alcohol. "Wine for a beer budget" was a common saying my parents used to use. It just means that you want something really good for the money of something not-so-good.

In the original post it was specified that 1000 watts was the requirement.

Uncle Todo, you may want to consider your actual needs. The laptop will take 200 watts at most. (Laptops range from about 45 watts for a thin and light to about 200 watts for gaming laptops.) A 3-quart Instant Pot uses about 700 watts. If you have the 6-quart, that's closer to 1400 watts. The egg steamer is probably electrical resistance heat, so it may be the highest draw thing on your list, possibly 1200 watts or so. But that also probably doesn't need pure sine.

You could consider a cheap modified sine inverter for the egg steamer, and a smaller pure sine for the laptop. I'm not sure if the Instant Pot will work on modified sine wave.

Ha, yeah, just kidding around, but I don't drink so that was that.
I've heard it champagne on a beer budget lol.

I may not need a pure, modified may work, but I'd rather buy once in case I need it at some point. Better to invest a little extra now instead of buying again later.

I had been looking at Renogy inverters, but I've seen so many comments on forums about slow to bad CS, and oh, you got a reply? lucky.

Not like I need one today so I'm not rushed or anything.

My current Instant Pot is a 6qt, but I'll get a 3qt for travel for power reasons and as well I'll be making smaller batches.
The steamer is like a hot plate if thats what you mean, and boils/steams the water. I'll have to measure usage but it, but it's like this one, I see it says 360 watts.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00N9TP...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
But neither of those would ever be used at the same time so I think 1kW should be good.

Nice to know about the Ryobi 12v charger, I'll start keeping an eye out for specials, they frequently have some good ones.
I like Ryobi, been using them off and on since the 90s, decent products at good prices.
https://www.ryobitools.com/promotions

Weird things happen when you run electronics on square wave inverters. I had a 1000w microwave running on a 1000w square wave inverter once. It pulled the expected amount of 12v power out of the batteries, but the microwave only pulled 500w and things took twice as long to cook. Sensitive electronics struggle if they don't get a good clean pure sine wave and usually end up getting damaged. If it's an inductive or resistive load, the cheaper square wave inverters are adequate. Anything more than that like computers and such will need pure sine wave inverters.