How do I clean an inverter safely?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
My inverter is sparking sometimes due to dust on the inside copper wiring. I'd like to open up the inverter and clean it.

My question is; how do I stop all power to the inverter?

It's a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter - 12DC - 240vAC.

Oh gee willy, sparking does not sound good! Definitely need to get the cover off and blow out the insides. The easiest way to cut the power to the unit is to flip the breaker or pull the fuse on the wiring that feeds the inverter.

Why do you think it's dust on the inside causing the sparks?
do you already have the cover off?
take compressed air and blow the dust out.
unhook the input to kill power
do not touch anything on the inside with anything

Highdesertranger

Dust wouldn't cause sparks unless there is already some damaged insulation on the flyback transformer or inductor or related HV components and the dust is reducing the impedance of the air gap and causing the spark.

If it isn't a really expensive inverter I might think about discarding it for safety.

edit: Unless your "dust" is like from grinding a point on a piece of metal or the inverter is powering a milling machine :)

Dust won't normally cause sparking and arcing unless it is wet....did something get spilled into the inverter?

Unless you really know what you're doing it is best to stay out of there. If the sparking and arcing has caused damage to insulation, the thing is dangerous to use and could catch fire or the sparks could ignite gas from even a small propane leak, if you have propane that is. 

I would suggest you toss it in the nearest dumpster, or better yet, take it to an e-waste recycler.

Stay out of any place with fire restrictions while using it, we see enough negative press as it is! Lol!!! I imagine HOWA might be able to help if you can not afford and need one that is safe. Disconnect the power from it after batteries have been disconnected, then insure no loose connections will ground or short out.

It's a good idea to know how to turn off the power to your inverter even if it wasn't sparking. Unless there is some reason you need AC power 24/7 you are putting a small drain on your battery even if there is no load on the inverter.

If it was me I would power down, remove cover, visually inspect, if nothing obvious power up and maybe tap it a bit with a screwdriver handle to see if I could get a spark, blow out with compressed air. If caked on dust I would turn power off and use a soft paintbrush to loosen and more air.

But that's me.

The old CRT TVs and monitors could make a hell of a racket if they had dust around the high voltage circuit but that could be 20-50 KV.

Guy

PlethoraOfGuns said:
Oh gee willy, sparking does not sound good! Definitely need to get the cover off and blow out the insides. The easiest way to cut the power to the unit is to flip the breaker or pull the fuse on the wiring that feeds the inverter.
Thanks for the advice mate :)

highdesertranger said:
Why do you think it's dust on the inside causing the sparks?
do you already have the cover off?
take compressed air and blow the dust out.
unhook the input to kill power
do not touch anything on the inside with anything

Highdesertranger
I can see the dust when I shine a light in there.

Nay I don't have the cover off yet, I'm still a little nervous about getting zapped.

I will try to find a compressed air source. I think gas stations might have some. Thanks for the idea.

I'll unhook the input. Thanks :)

I was going to use a paintbrush to remove the dust....but I'll take your advice and not do that.

IGBT said:
Dust wouldn't cause sparks unless there is already some damaged insulation on the flyback transformer or inductor or related HV components and the dust is reducing the impedance of the air gap and causing the spark.

If it isn't a really expensive inverter I might think about discarding it for safety.

edit:  Unless your "dust" is like from grinding a point on a piece of metal or the inverter is powering a milling machine :)
I've seen where it sparks from (copper wiring) which is caked in dust. It hasn't been sparking lately which leads me to believe the dust has......"baked off"?

I will certainly consider a replacement inverter if she starts sparking again. Thanks

tx2sturgis said:
Dust won't normally cause sparking and arcing unless it is wet....did something get spilled into the inverter?

Unless you really know what you're doing it is best to stay out of there. If the sparking and arcing has caused damage to insulation, the thing is dangerous to use and could catch fire or the sparks could ignite gas from even a small propane leak, if you have propane that is. 

I would suggest you toss it in the nearest dumpster, or better yet, take it to an e-waste recycler.
Now that you mentioned it, very high humidity in my van lately.  Can that be the problem?

bullfrog said:
Stay out of any place with fire restrictions while using it, we see enough negative press as it is! Lol!!! I imagine HOWA might be able to help if you can not afford and need one that is safe. Disconnect the power from it after batteries have been disconnected, then insure no loose connections will ground or short out.
Thanks mate, I'll disconnect the battery before I do anything else. Much appreciated :)

gsfish said:
It's a good idea to know how to turn off the power to your inverter even if it wasn't sparking. Unless there is some reason you need AC power 24/7 you are putting a small drain on your battery even if there is no load on the inverter.

If it was me I would power down, remove cover, visually inspect, if nothing obvious power up and maybe tap it a bit with a screwdriver handle to see if I could get a spark, blow out with compressed air.  If caked on dust I would turn power off and use a soft paintbrush to loosen and more air.

But that's me.

The old CRT TVs and monitors could make a hell of a racket if they had dust around the high voltage circuit but that could be 20-50 KV.

Guy
It only starts sparking when I turn it on. It hasn't done it lately though.  I might buy a reserve inverter just in case. I don't want to go days without power while waiting for a replacement inverter. Thanks mate :)