Looking at an E-250 Hightop, thoughts?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyMac

Reaction score
Hi, first post here, been lurking for a couple weeks and in the shopping phase of buying a van. I'm going to look at this 2008 E-250 tomorrow and wanted to solicit any opinions about it. Things I should look at specific to the model or the high top conversion? How does a high top affect blue book up or down? Is the mileage too high? Questions I don't know enough to ask but should be asking lol?

I notice all the pictures cut off the top of the roof, might be accidental but I'll probably want to look closely that it hasn't been run into anything and repaired? First thing I'll do - since this is New England - is crawl underneath with a light and poke around for body/frame rot, rusted floors, exhaust and brakelines etc. The only van I've ever owned is an Astro so I'm a little worried about driving such a big sail. I have probably 1001 questions and I know the only one that can decide if it's right is me, but I do appreciate any insight people that have owned and built a vehicle like this have to offer.

Thanks! Scott

Hi Scott. I did some googling, looking for key words, picture matches, etc. the phone number belongs to County Auto Sales & Service in Attleboro.

Most of us would rather purchase from a private seller and avoid the overhead costs that a dealer incurs

190K is high but if the van's been well maintained it can go another hundred thousand.

I've had several ford vans and always been happy with them. Currently driving an E150

Hi, I'm just north of you and have been looking at these vans for around a year now.  Here are some specifics about this one.
1. Google the phone number and check the shop reviews, i found words like "careful, shady, drugs"... etc...
2. These hi-top passenger vans are usually driven year-round in the slush, salt etc like a city bus. Check for rust around the steering box which these Fords are prone to.  It can break off and you lose your steering.
3. At 190k need to budget for complete front end/steering parts, $500+; also transmission drain/filter/fluid change, as well as all other fluids, $500+
4. 2008 had the factory engine bulletin on stripped out spark plugs, which will strand you and cost big $$ to have repaired.  I wouldn't buy one without documents on proper spark plug maintenance and i'd carry a field-repair kit as well as a $400 tine-sert set.    It's not fun to fix on a van.

Other than the spark plugs 08 wasn't a bad year for these, $4k for this one is a little hi imo if he has no service records at 190k miles.   The trans may be getting tired, but you may get lucky if it has good maintenance history and no tow hitch.

In general these are hard to find with the extra-hi roof which may give you standing room depending on your height.  Ford cruise control works well if that matters to you but isn't always found on a commercial van.  I drove one of these last year and it was easy to handle for the size.  But passed because it was a shady seller and overpriced, and i couldn't stand up straight in it.  "Vanlife" is pretty hot right now and the crooks are looking to cash in. 

Finally if you're planning to move south in a vehicle the mechanics in salt-free areas hate seeing something from up north and may charge you more or even refuse to work on it.  Also window vans get real hot in summer, even up north.

THIRSTY van.
Spark plugs popping out.
Marginal transmission.
WAY too many miles for that chassis to keep being worthy, UNLESS you can swap a trans or engine yourself.

(I may well have the information on this very van in my database.)

Cyndi may like them, but it was a W/C van and they idle all day long every day.
Few make it nearly as far as she optimistically suggests, but those W/C transport vans never do.

Buy something else. It is a Northern van in its red zone of failure. Thats why we dump them before this mileage in nearly every scenario.

Thanks for all the replies and the google searching, I saw those Yelp reviews too about cocaine dealing and being generally shady. Yikes. I wasn't actually looking for a passenger van anyways but I do like the idea of a high top although if they're idled like an ambulance all day then maybe I'll go back to looking at cargo vans. I've got a couple of months to shop so no dire rush...I may go look at it anyways for the experience and because it's not too far away but I expect it to be pretty clapped, it's been up for sale for about a month or more.

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/?sl=9NFBFI19907041

Something like this would be a LOT less risk. (...and the pretty "high top" is better for stealth parking) ;)
(You would likely end up spending as much $$$ on the old clapper as what this is going for...at least within the first 50K miles of driving it.)
(Right now, it has 30 minutes left and it sitting @ $6900)

JD GUMBEE said:
https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/?sl=9NFBFI19907041

Something like this would be a LOT less risk.  (...and the pretty "high top" is better for stealth parking) ;)
(You would likely end up spending as much $$$ on the old clapper as what this is going for...at least within the first 50K miles of driving it.)
(Right now, it has 30 minutes left and it sitting @ $6900)

Did you read that auction where it says "needs new engine"?

Thanks for looking out JD. I actually did check out the GSA auction listings after reading some of your other posts. Unfortunately my current situation doesn't allow me to fly in somewhere and drive back with a van. I'm working 6 days a week 10 hours a day right now and will be right up until I close my business. Even going to see a local van like the one in Attleboro is a little bit of a chore. The irony - or benefit - of that is the longer I wait the more money I have to spend.

Time and money...I hear that.

Don't forget there are ways of having them closely looked at and procured from a non-salt environment.
PM me if you see something you like. I can often hook you up with one of the truck mechanics to have a thorough look at one for a fair fee.
(The guys doing the maintenance know all about the 1 tons like...intimately. Especially the W/C vans like that Ford.

What about something like this one??
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/maggie-valley-camper-van-mark-iii/6867646678.html
I know travel is a PITA, but for no salt in an older unit especially, it may be worth the extra hassle.

When the seller is coy about the mileage, it's usually high.