Looking at a van this evening

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psytechguy

Reaction score
I'm going to go check out a low mileage (44k) '96 Dodge 3500 Maxi-Van a church is selling. Has a few minor issues, but looks really nice overall. Has maintenance logs, updated brakes, etc. Tires have very little wear, but are 10 years old.

Anyone know from experience what sort of mileage a Maxi with a 5.9/360 gets? Anything in particular to watch out for?

thanks!

Mike

I had a 3/4 ton truck, a 94 with that 360 motor. I remember it had plenty of power for climbing mountains and hauling, but I also remember how thirsty that truck was. I had major problems with the transmission typical of those years. 

They say that the tranny squeals in reverse, but the Dodge dealership tells them that it's normal..... ?????

Look for weather cracking on tires that old- should just change them for safety....a blowout on a van can be a handfull in traffic!
I would be suspect of the tranny.... and the dealer...
Look for leaks of fluids everywhere- the age/mileage ratio suggests the seals in engine, trans, differential may be dried out and leaking.....crawl under and look b4 driving, then test drive, then crawl under to see if there are leaks or spatter..
360's are thirsty, it is a one ton maxi- so heavy and probably low geared rear - I'd expect 9-12 mpg.

Good Luck!

My 99 3/4 ton pickup with 360 got 13 mpg. Everything was $800. Tires? $800. All4 brakes? $800. Fuel pump? $800. Musta been thier favorite number. You should have a ways to go, but expect a fuel pump around 100-120kmi. Dont be too bummed by 13 mpg, my bus gets 13.5 baby-ing it, and I had a f250 4x4 that got 9 with the 460 CID motor.
Good luck!

Just checked it out.

Shame about the tires! They're almost brand new looking 16" Michelins, but 11 years old.

Despite the low mileage, the whole truck looked like it'd been rode hard and put up wet.

Almost all the mileage had been short hops in town. Almost no highway miles.

As mentioned earlier, all the rubber and gasket material was definitely dried and cracked.

Gonna pass on this one. I'd rather have a newer, cleaner truck with 100k on it that had been driven regular. Apparently this thing's spent some years just sitting in their parking lot moldering away.

Back to the search!!! ;-)

Latest posts