Longevity update old E350 shuttles vs newer Ford Transit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37446

Reaction score
Hi all,

While on the way to the airport I chatted with the shuttle driver/owner. He, like most of them/all of them, is an independent contractor who owns his own vehicle. He's been doing this for over 6 years, SuperShuttle.  Anyway, I saw the big, tall, shiny newer Transit high roof show up and thought I'd ask how the driver liked it compared to the older E350's they are updating from the fleet.

This guy bought his new Transit last year, its a 2015 with the high roof and the regular six cylinder, (no turbo, no diesel). All of their vehicles get converted to propane (at least here) and that's the key to their longevity he said. His old 2011 (real old!) E350 standard shuttle van had the 5.4 v8 and was propane. He converted to the new van at 740,000 miles. He had owned the old one since new, in 5 years he put on 740K (it ran 24 hours, he has other drivers for it, he does days, they do nights). 
He said the motor was original, one set of valves redone but that's it for the engine. He had 2 tranny's in all those miles, got about 300K out of each one! I asked about the front end and he said no real problems with it. Solid Ford twin I beams...

The new late 2015 model) Transit already has 120,000 on it, no issues except for a plastic trim piece that fell off. He said visibility and drive ability were better than the old style. He said he wonders why GM doesnt change because these are so much better for his business. No one has the Dodge Promaster, must be reasons other than price...

He also said that somewhere around here (Phoenix) they were testing the smal Transit Connect 4 passenger van to use instead of the big van, studies were that the avg passenger load was 3 ointment something, so the big van capacity wasn't used that much.

Anyway, thought I'd report in. It seems that recent year E350 owners should have plenty good service out of their vans, and those who want to get the new style should be happy as well.

Yes those Transits have been in widespread service in Europe for a long time.

Boy, a propane dual fuel airport shuttle <100K, wouldn't that be a great base to build from!

Yes, if you live close to a major urban center for fuel. He said the bar-b-que propane prices are close to double what they pay so fueling at $2.50 a gallon for propane at an RV store, even if they had the nozzle, wouldn't help the cost. Propane has like 80% of the power/efficiency of gas, so you have to allow for that. They use a 40 gallon tank and he said he gets 13-15 mpg in the city. He has to fuel once or twice every 24 hours with the miles they put on.

It's the engine longevity that the clean burning propane affords you that's the nice thing.

That's why dual fuel, can switch between. $1.97 a gallon round here these days.

If there's another shortage crisis can still get it, not petrol.

Stores forever, can stockpile it.

And of course use for heat/hot water, cooking, fridge.

My heating is with Propane and the guy who delivers bottles in the extended 1 1/2 ton  Flat Bed runs it on Propane.  He swears by the Propane for engine longevity.  He also explained to me that he used a "Low Ash" motor oil which is supposed to be specially formulated for Propane fueled engines.  That was some years back.
Since then I've read loads of different stories about the oils to use with gaseous motor fuels.   But I've also talked with mechanics who looked after the fork trucks which ran Propane where I worked.  They used special oils too.

But as the old mechanic I worked with as a kid once told me, they only way you really know about a motor oils is by tearing down the engines it has been used in exclusively.  Then checking the parts for wear.   But these Propane fueled engines are amazingly clean when torn down, perhaps because they don't have to carry carbon & soot in the oil while operating from one oil change to the next.

Exactly.  

The SuperShuttle is "converted" to propane, unsure if they leave the gas on or not.  
In the 1990's I had a propane fueled 1 ton that had been dual fuel once but a previous owner junked all the gas lines, carb and tanks for the room. The engine had a couple hundred thousand on it, no issues...

What is the cost to convert a gas engine to a propane fueled engine?

This world isn said:
He also said that somewhere around here (Phoenix) they were testing the smal Transit Connect 4 passenger van to use instead of the big van, studies were that the avg passenger load was 3 ointment something, so the big van capacity wasn't used that much.

Dumb cluck that I am never proofed the paragraph...  3 point something came out as. 4 ointment something...  gotta love word prediction software!

that's odd about the price of propane around here propane used in vehicles has the highway taxes on it so it's more expensive then BBQ propane. I am guessing they don't tax it? highdesertranger

Yes, AutoGas is more due to taxes.

Same stuff though. Getting a self-service tank transfer setup going is just plumbing, but tough to get straight info on as a novice due to vendors' fear of liability issues.

Obviously there are real safety precautions you need to take responsibility for learning beforehand.

But easy enough to get the gas itself, either cart portable (DOT standards) tanks yourself, or for bulk delivery to B&S get "permanent" home tanks,(ASME) installed.

Much better to own the equipment yourself. Just need the transfer gear stowed when the delivery guy shows up.

Story about propane... my Canadian truck had only propane. I was traveling in Idaho or somewhere at night in the summer and was getting low. Every station that had a propane sign only refilled 20 pounders, NOT over the road. So, I was getting very low and starting to panick. The last place was the same, he would fill "domestic" use like stove or hot water heater tanks only.

I had 3 tanks under the truck, a saddle tank on each side and a smaller tank in the back. I had to tell him that the rear 15 gallon tank was for the truck camper in order to get any. Fortunately he accepted the story as the other two tanks (30 gallons each) looked like on the road fuel and the 3rd didn't.

So be careful to always have dual fuel...

How much better mileage does a van get using propane versus gas?

Propane is less energy dense, by about 10% I believe

I always figured 80% of gas just to be safe.  My truck, weighing 8500 pounds with the 8' truck camper, got 8 mpg...

If you have a vehicle that runs on propane are you prohibited from traveling on or thru bridges/tunnels where propane tanks are prohibited?

Usually allowed, a few not. GW bridge OK upstairs, not lower levels.

My old class c motor home was dual fuel. Chevy with a 350 engine. Got 10 mpg on gas and 8 mpg on propane. Also, you could switch it on the fly, so for instance, if you were on propane power and came to a mountain, you would switch to gasoline for the extra power. The rig had a 1200 mile cruising range which was nice, but, we used to joke about how big a crater  it would  make if something was to go wrong.

frater secessus said:
FUD and insinuation.

FS, that was a statement of mine, taken out of context, during a discussion of SuperShuttle contractors in Phoenix who have changed/upgraded their vans. It was not intended to state that no individual or business has purchased a Dodge Promaster.  :huh: