Living without a refrigerator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good article. Unfortunately, most vegetables we buy in the grocery store have very probably been washed, and possibly some refrigerated, so it kind of nullifies a lot of what is written.

I figure you have a pretty good idea how long veggies will last unrefrigerated by whether they are refrigerated or not in the store. So, for instance, peppers and zuchinni squash won't go near as long as she indicates.

And if there is a "collapse of the grid", initial premise, there won't be any fresh produce to buy in any case.

Yeah that advise is pretty much only useful for home grown produce. Basically all produce from a grocery store has already been refrigerated. Even the potatoes onions garlic etc come in in a refrigerated truck and are stored in a cooler in the back before its stocked.

most produce you buy at a store is at least a week old some much older before you even see it. I have seen terrible produce at farmers markets(it's not the actual farmer selling there but a middleman) and some of these so called better stores that advertise as being better and fresher than a regular store. BS. you get the best stuff from a road side stand that the actual farmer is running. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
...  you get the best stuff from a road side stand that the actual farmer is running.
I can't think of many places in the southwest where you'll even find a farmer's road side stand. Arizona, duh. Maybe if you're in the central valley of CA, but who wants to go there. What about down around El Centro, CA?

there are a couple in and around Mohave Valley, AZ. I pretty much see them wherever produce is grown from the Mexican border to Canada. it will be locally grown stuff. for instance I have never seen fresh Avocados or citrus in Nevada but I have seen corn, tomatoes, green beans, and chilies. highdesertranger

x2 B and C. and that is a good way to tell if you are dealing with a middleman. an actual farmer will not have out of season produce. highdesertranger

agree with the posts here. food from old days produced by your own hands is not the stuff we are buying now in the stores :) shelf life etc will never be the same on that.

as much as many live without refrigeration on the road, I am one who is gonna have refrigeration for my foods :) I eat a ton of meat so that needs refrigeration and with the fridge I just don't have to worry on food so that helps.

besides without a refrigerator how do you keep your beer cold. LOL highdesertranger

I was watching a video about food prep from survivalist folks who store food and they linked a company that sells like MREs but much cheaper.   The meals were like chili mac and chicken and rice, and for 50 servings it was less than $80. They didn't require refrigeration as it was all freeze dried food and I immediately though it would be good for nomads.   Has any one ever used them and like them.

Desertthorn, that's a very good price, as for instance Mountain House f-d meals are $8 apiece anymore. You should provide a link, hint, hint.

FWIW, I only have a cooler and have developed cooking style and meals, based upon previous threads on this forum. The basics consist of the usual, plus some canned food I never even noticed before:

1. besides tuna fish, now canned salmon, kippered herring, and especially white chicken breast in a can (yummy).

2. then for solo travel, you can get small cans of green beans and corn to make some bulk in the pan.

3. in lieu of 2, I specially like this minute rice, as it cooks easy and has very low salt, as compared to most rice preps in a package like 99% of Uncle Bens.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Minute-Ready-to-Serve-Brown-and-Wild-Rice-8-8-Ounce-Serving/15754608

Then some chopped onion, plus tomatoes and red,green peppers from the cooler (needing only minimal cooling). Nice healthy meal and cheap, with some fresh produce.

besides without a refrigerator how do you keep your beer cold. LOL highdesertranger

Always trust HDR to whittle every issue down to what's really important!!

I know beer is edible. Are those survivalist MREs palatable after more than 1 day? I find that a regular diet of even Mountain House doesn't sound very appealing. Surely HDR consumes more than beer.

Desertthorn said:
I was watching a video about food prep from survivalist folks who store food and they linked a company that sells like MREs but much cheaper.   The meals were like chili mac and chicken and rice, and for 50 servings it was less than $80. They didn't require refrigeration as it was all freeze dried food and I immediately though it would be good for nomads.   Has any one ever used them and like them.
Ohhhhhh, I'd say "don't get me started", but it's too late! :)
The following is not a criticism of the folks who brought this up, merely my attempt to share what I know from personal experience...

First, in general, anything involving "preppers", or "survivalists" is a marketing machine, with little, if anything, of quality.
There's an entire sub-genre of spam (the non-edible electronic variety) that targets well meaning folks by trying to push the Fear Button.
That website in the original post is packed with crud sensationalist ads, which is the first sign of low quality.
Many of their claims are just downright wrong (even the comments point this out).
At a glance, it seems ok, but there are thousands of sites like that, which just regurgitate the same-old-same-old, including the false info, then monetize it.

Desertthorn:
In general "MRE" only refers to meals that do not require cooking in order to consume.
Most of those survivalist "kits" are very poor quality, require significant cooking (even if it's simple just-add-water, they typically require much longer cook times than freeze dried or partially precooked foods), are high in sodium, low in nutrients, and vastly overstate the number of "servings".

When the "survival food buckets" first came out, they were marketed as a one month supply with a 20~ year life for about a hundred bucks.
Understandably, there was considerable excitement on prepper boards, then a few people actually bought them & did the math.
I speak from direct experience.
I waited until they went on sale, then bought one and actually ate enough of the items to do an honest review (elsewhere).
Disclaimer: I did repurpose the bucket, and it makes a dang comfy "kitchen" chair in my van. :)

You can do a much better (cheaper + higher quality) job by just cherry picking components.

I do not see the point in paying a premium for very long life items.
What excites me is food items that have at least a 2-6 year storage life, and which don't require excessive fuel to cook.
If they have a longer life, that's fine, but I won't pay a premium for it. I'd rather rotate my stock.

Instead of buying "chicken & rice", which typically is regular rice with little if any chicken (more likely it's TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)), you can buy real canned chicken and precooked/parboiled/etc rice for much less.
You won't get the "20 year" shelf life, but you'll get a pretty decent life for less money and higher quality. :)

One very kewl source of long life foods is the Mormons:
https://providentliving.lds.org/food-storage/home-storage-center-locations-map?lang=eng
Those prices are typically for six (yes 6) #10 cans. Some of their links are funky.
You don't have to order online.
Many of their storage centers allow Muggles (i.e. we non-Mormons) to visit and buy:
https://providentliving.lds.org/self-reliance/food-storage/home-storage-center-locations?lang=eng
They're all over the West. :) I plan to visit one on my way South come winter.

P.S. To end on a lighter & Geeky note...
Qxxx said:
I know beer is edible
Surely HDR consumes more than beer.

*cough* Mudder's Milk *cough*
(hey, somebody had to say it! that's yet another Firefly reference)

The mormon community has a publication about food storage that can be found for free.

If you are going to be near a body of water such as a creek, placing items in the water (secured, obviously) will chill them. When I was 4 years old, I "found" a watermelon in the brook near our picnic spot and was so excited to bring it back to my family.  Of course, I dropped it on the way and the guy who had put it there to cool realized I had made off with his watermelon and yelled at me.  Didn't eat watermelon for decades after that. LOL.

Now that the colder weather is moving in, I have cooler w/ a couple half gal juice bottles full of water in it. I open the lid every night and close it first thing in the morning. The water filled bottles do a good job of holding the coolness through the day.
I've used this method for years and have no trouble keeping veg for over a couple weeks.

www.instagram.com/DirtTrackTravelers

Latest posts