Living Out of Car and Showering

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eobelinig

Reaction score
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]At the end of the month I am making a four day business trip. I will be living out of my car, which I have done before. However, I will be in meetings with other people this time so I need to be presentable every day. There is a YMCA that I can shower at, but it takes too long. [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Quick, clean, and discreet is the name of the game. What are my options?[/font]

agree with Rose
take the time on this short trip to put in a good shower :)

but you can easily buy some wipes that are for 'no shower' times. Wipe down and smell good. Nice cologne/perfume (use little and sparingly, a lot of people can't stand to be near 'over fragranced' people...like me LOL)

for a short trip you aren't going to try to use an outdoor shower set up etc. So either wipes in all the right places or buy the no rinse wipe down body wash stuff out there on the market, but put in that time for a good hot shower would be ideal I think.

Get a free trial membership at a nearby gym where you can park 24 hours.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Eobelinig! Truckstop showers are another option.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Community centers with public swimming pools have showers.

You can sometimes buy just a shower at an RV park without staying.

At small, locally owned motels you can bargain with under the counter cash for a shower if you bring your own towel and soap. You have to remember to leave a tip for the maid as well.

A state park with a day use fee will sometimes get you access to the restrooms with showers in them.

Some public beaches have showers.

Marinas often have showers. You will need to pay a fee for that at most of them but not all of them will let you shower there if you are not paying for moorage.

Walgreens and possibly others sell a no rinse body wash. I think it is made for the bed ridden, but does work well. About a quart of water is needed.You mix a small amount with the water then scrub down with a wash towel. Walmart has a version here https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rinse-Fr...NWlVdpboNkk8aA8Po_0oKNXn1FUPXJjRoC5xcQAvD_BwE

I use a pump up garden sprayer like this one I set it in the sun during the day and shower before the sun goes down. I use about a gallon. I painted mine black with paint made for plastic, (any Walmart has it in spray cans). I also put a clear bag over it. The sun will heat the water, but the air will try to cool it . The plastic bag over the sprayer acts like a green house.

I've been in meetings where folks have had little time to freshen up after traveling.... and everyone within 10 feet noticed who the "ripe one" was.

Either do or not it's your choice and FWIW a perfumed anything reeks of cover-up.

If it were me I'd just take a shower and fresh clothes or option 2, skip shower, blow-off the meeting and go fishing.

For those that might be heading to Quartzsite this winter there is a place for free showers. It’s called the Isiah Project. I don’t know any more about it but it’s just down the block from the Senior Center.

Truck stop showers are pretty nice. Clean and big . Room to dress. Pay your 10 bucks or what ever and you are in a nice private shower room .

to me 10 bucks for a shower is a little outrageous. don't get me wrong I have done it plenty of times. but in my trailer I will have a shower. highdesertranger

Yes it is. He has little choice in his case. When they started getting 12 is when I bought 24 water bottles 1.99 @ dollar general . Put 6 on dash to hest up. Stood inside truck door and took water bottle shower. That's a good shower for a short haired guy. That would work with a low top van or car . From what I learned here i would put on a vinyl poncho.

If you have barn doors, just open them halfway and drap a tarp across and down the outside. Outside shower stall built in but I would move the van a few feet so you are not walking on wet ground when you are finished. Backdoors work great for this. Hold the doors apart with a stick and trap the stick by using a bungee cord to hold the doors together, both at the top. This would work for a 4 door vehicle too.

You could still do the Y and go shower the night before each day and then just shave and do your hair before the meetings.

I like the fishing idea - even if you don't go fishing you can say you did so please excuse the "fishy" sent.

Get an "Iron Hammer" self contained portable shower head. Then make a portable water heater using a Home Depot 5 gallon plastic bucket, EPDM 1" bulkhead, and 12v 300W heating element off ebay (standard water heater dimensions). Use jumper cables from car to heating element to heat up 2-3 gallons of water in 30 minutes WHILE your car is idling. Take the hot water and Iron Hammer portable shower head somewhere discrete and have a nice hot shower.