Living Out of a Van Is the New American Dream

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsfish said:
A few months ago a friend was looking for a small house for his daughter and wanted me too look in my neighborhood, preferably fenced since she has two dogs. I found this one two blocks from me. I kind of know the guy that owns it. At the time the listed price was $27K. They were all excited until they realized that between them they couldn't come up with a down payment. It is now pending sale, check link for price.
http://www.century21.com/property/524-frisco-road-pensacola-fl-32507-C2120917300

How much would that be in Oakland?

There have been several houses on my street that have sold around $10K-$12K, one had been a rental and was livable but needing work.

Guy

How is your neighborhood?  I've been contemplating buying a home in Florida because the prices are better than good.  With a cheap home base like that I could practically travel year round if I wanted too.  Florida is also very good for my line of work........public insurance adjuster.  Homeowner's hire me when they can't get anywhere with the insurance company or they get a low offer, then I go after insurance company for more money.

I don't see living out of a van as a dream, only a way to travel and see places that otherwise would be unattainable on our very limited budgets. If I had a great pile of money I would travel somewhat more luxuriously, that's for sure.

My dream is to drive to Alaska! Having lived in the Bush, only flew in and out. But is age against me in my early 80's?Have a Roadtrek and would be driving alone.

maybe caravan with others if it would make you more comfortable. oh and welcome. highdesertranger

Ama, I've met some women in their late 70s fulltiming solo. If you feel good, why not?

Every Road Leads Home said:
How is your neighborhood?  I've been contemplating buying a home in Florida because the prices are better than good.  With a cheap home base like that I could practically travel year round if I wanted too.  Florida is also very good for my line of work........public insurance adjuster.  Homeowner's hire me when they can't get anywhere with the insurance company or they get a low offer, then I go after insurance company for more money.

You really need to do due diligence on any property. There are reasons FL properties are so cheap, some of them being the prop is not insurable for some reason, very possibly sinkholes, though that is not the only reason. Infrastructure, flooding, contaminated construction materials whether Chinese drywall or from previous flooding or some other damage.

Now it's being listed at 15K, almost half of a previous amount, so that is a huge red flag. May not be the house--may be the neighborhood, the area, the neighbors, etc.
Be very careful, and for something like that, you really need to see it for yourself. Take an inspection checklist with you when you go, (there are several on the net). If you think it's worth further investigation, dig deeper, regarding all kinds of liens, tax status, repair, check with city--DO NOT TRUST LISTING AGENT OR YOUR OWN AGENT, THEY WANT PAID--and they do not get paid until a place sells.
go to the city/county to find out what it's actual status is. If you do not know, find out how to buy a house. This is NOT meant as an insult: probably most people do not know. Then, after you have learned all you can yourself through county records etc, find out if you can get a loan for it--do not commit just yet. Then hire a general contractor or three to go through it with you to get an idea of repair costs. If you still want it, use that amount as a bargaining chip: You want $15K? It'll cost $XXX just to bring it up to neighborhood standards. At $15K maybe they'll reduce it more, or just sign it over.
PLEASE, BE VERY CAREFUL.

Since you're an insurance adjuster, you must have some knowledge on some of this.

The old saying about the grass being greener applies. I have known people who sold their house to buy a super RV. Two years later, they are tired of it, their rig is worth half of what they paid, and there is no way to buy the same kind of a house that they sold.

I would say see how deep the water really is before you dive in head first. Rent out the house, buy a used RV, (for half price) and give it a go.

Latest posts