living in my car end of month in Washington

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarledwolf

Reaction score
At the end of the month on the 31st I'll be moving with my brothers to Washinton and living out of my 2007 eclipse and probably camping out of a tent.  I won'thave much money.  I have heard about the pass and I will buy seasonally.  Any other advice will be appreciated.  My car will have a battery bank and a solar panel I can put out when i'm camping.
Matt

My advice is to keep moving--don't be tempted to stay a week or more in the same free campsite, even though it is allowed.  Don't leave a bunch of your stuff outside.  In other words, try to make it appear that you are not living there.  I see a LOT of people living out of their cars [I live in my Tiger] and most are very discreet about it and no one hassles them.  BTW, I live in WA, although I hit the desert in the winter and so should you.  You will be miserable in WA in the winter time, whether it's rain or snow.  Nothing will ever get dry and you won't be able to spend much time outside.  There are zillions of places to camp for free in AZ.  Plus, all of us nice folks will be there!   :p

Welcome! I know the Eclipse has very little on the way of storage. Make sure you can take only what you absolutely need, and maybe get it fitted with a hitch and a small travel trailer if you need to bring extra stuff. Just be sure to leave enough room to pack you and your tent inside if the weather hits real hard. The worst thing about being stuck in terrible weather is having reorganize your car to fit inside it when you need to get inside in a flash. Get a deep cycle marine battery to replace your normal car battery, they put out much more amps so you can charge electronics and such without worrying about running out of juice to start your car. Goal Zero makes a folding solar panel with USB plug-ins called the Sherpa. Before you take your car out, make sure it's well maintained and your tires are ready to take the weight of the full load you're planning on carrying. Post some pics when you can too, and good luck. Cheers!

RollinWOT said:
Welcome! I know the Eclipse has very little on the way of storage. Make sure you can take only what you absolutely need, and maybe get it fitted with a hitch and a small travel trailer if you need to bring extra stuff. Just be sure to leave enough room to pack you and your tent inside if the weather hits real hard. The worst thing about being stuck in terrible weather is having reorganize your car to fit inside it when you need to get inside in a flash. Get a deep cycle marine battery to replace your normal car battery, they put out much more amps so you can charge electronics and such without worrying about running out of juice to start your car. Goal Zero makes a folding solar panel with USB plug-ins called the Sherpa. Before you take your car out, make sure it's well maintained and your tires are ready to take the weight of the full load you're planning on carrying. Post some pics when you can too, and good luck. Cheers!

yep. I have two marines.... one to start my car and one as a house battery.... and a 125 solar panel which I've got fit to slide in and out of the car when camping.  i've got about 2% of the same possessions I had this time last year... if it isn't of use, it's gone.  when I come and gone i don't want anyone knowing i was there.  I'll be brining a bike strapped to the back for exerecise and slower examination of an area.  i'll be looking for a job i can commute to out there off public land or on depending on what the situation is like.  I can already see myself snowbirding it for winter and summer.