Living in Mexico on less than $500.00 a month.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gringojhon

Reaction score
After seeing a little interest in my comments on this site and others regarding living in Mexico I decided to put together a quick blog post and leave links to my instagram and Youtube channel that gives highlights to a lifestyle other than sticks and bricks. Maybe this will be helpful. If I get more ambition I'll fix the blog up.

Blog

Youtube is Crazyoldgringo.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a great life. Glad you found what works for you. That being said, a lot of people on this forum actually gave up their houses because they don't want to be live in one place and living in one place in Mexico is the same as living in one place in the US. It's just cheaper. I think once people are ready to do something else, however, living in Mexico or another low cost country should definitely be something they consider. At least something they think about before completely ruling it out.

I've been thinking about renting out my home in the US for the income, and to ensure my kids have an inheritance when I pass, and then movint to a lower cost of living country, like Mexico, Guatemala, Thailand, Bali, Spain, etc. That way I can live off my rental income and my monthly income.

Thank you for your info. It seems like a BRILLIANT option for people who don't want to travel full time, but cannot afford B&S semi-permanent base in USA. And compared with Spain, Bali or Thailand, transition between the phases is quick and cheap.

I will definitely follow your blog and Youtube.

Do you visit USA sometimes? Or stay in MX full time? I am a bit scared to visit MX, maybe first time I would be less anxious if travelling in a caravan. Unless caravan is not a good idea and a magnet for baddies.

What is high and low seasons in Puerto Penasco?

Baja Tour is a Facebook group that caravans with van lifers and small rv’s into Baja every Fall and Spring. These caravans are free but you have to pay your expenses. There are budget, driving tips, expenses and itinerary in the announcements section. We use a mix of paid campgrounds and free areas. We also rely on iOverlander for locating places, goods and services in Baja. If you are at all interested in Baja, check it out. $500 a month is unrealistic for our group, some do it on $800-1200 a month.

Baja Tour is a Facebook group that caravans with van lifers and small rv’s into Baja every Fall and Spring. These caravans are free but you have to pay your expenses. There are budget, driving tips, expenses and itinerary in the announcements section. We use a mix of paid campgrounds and free areas. We also rely on iOverlander for locating places, goods and services in Baja. If you are at all interested in Baja, check it out. $500 a month is unrealistic for our group, some do it on $800-1200 a month.
I’d like this but I don’t have Facebook. I have drove down the Baja a few times but with a new group of people and new spots sounds like fun.

We will try to cross post to this forum as well.