Living in honda crv

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have been living in honda crv for a week now.  It's first time ever doing this.  Went to Florida.  Stayed at rest stops, and walmart.  Maybe someone has some other suggestions on places to sleep.  Currently in Clearwater.  Thanks for any other suggestions on where to sleep in this area.  Plan to be in the area for a while.

Try cracker barrel. They are wonderful about letting you sleep the night. Of course not letting you set up camp. There’s also the water management Districts. I may have that name wrong but that’s what they are. They offer free camping at many sites in Florida. And of course there’s a national forest up in the northern end.

Thanks for the info.  Will have to try the cracker barrel place out. And then will have to try the water management district out.

The nice thing about the CRV is civilians usually have no idea you’re living in them so stealth is pretty easy. Police and security guards know right away.

I used to stay in office parking lots in the back, hidden from the streets or manufacturing plants, areas around hospitals or 24 hour drugstores, restaurants and gyms, any place where people would be at night.

I have a bad back and my CRV is still set up with a mattress and pillows/blankets etc (reflectix only on the passenger windows and the privacy cover in back) and since my living situation is tense I often spend part of the day in the car lying down reading.

Two days ago in a supermarket parking lot the security guard knocked on my window to check on me and told me to make sure to keep the windows cracked because some old guy had died in his car of chemicals. He didn’t believe me that I wasn’t living in my car. I was pretty lucky that no one ever bothered me and security guards were really nice about it.

Try to buy a SUV tent. And find a spot where you can camp to sleep.

I don't know if you 'want of stealth' etc but do ya wanna do some paid sites and just general stops?

COEs are great
State parks
County parks are camping friendly if you google your area you are in
any BIG azz parking lot of a mall, or big strip mall or whatever is usually ok for night, we do it
truck stops for overnight are great.
any highway rest stops are wonderful for overnight
think larger type gas stations and ASK if you can park overnight and alot of them say yes :)
ASK and ask again cause even a local church will allow an overnight but obvy ya might wanna give a 'donation' to that place and they can offer maybe water etc?
Day camp at beach areas or boat ramps which could easily mean overnight also.... means sleep and reverse life and cruise thru the night a bit shopping and eating as 'some biz' are open late night etc...............just do you as it fits!

Life is out there ya know, vibrant and with limitless options if you ask and find those great people who will do for ya and give back a little too :)

Have now been living in CRV for one month. The first few days I had a headache due to the adjustment to a new way of living, but now I am well adjusted. Sleeping is quiet comfortable. My fitbit gives me a sleepscore just as good as when I sleep in a kingsize bed in a large house. I did take one break and stayed at a Airbnb for 9 days, but am now back in the car and have moved from Florida over to South Texas in a city that goes by the name of McAllen. The weather down here in South Texas in January is superb. Also this city has lots of conveniences such as a wonderful library, several Walmarts for overnight parking and sleeping, several gyms that are part of the $29/mo Tiviity program where I can not only work out, but also where I can get a hot shower and shave.

Next thing I want to try is BLM land. I would like to go somewhere that is close to a city so that I can go into the city for things like food. If anyone has any ideas it would be great. And as always, thanks to everyone on this forum for all the great information you provide.

Quartzsite Arizona is a small town that has lots of free BLM camping that is a reasonable drive into town. Very pouplar area for boondockers. Also the area of Ehrenberg which is near the town of Blyth Ca. Then there is the somewhat warmer BLM areas near Yuma, AZ. Some of them are just over the border inside California. Those areas are convenient to the border crosding to Los Algodones Mexico. You can walk across the border for things such as a visit to the dentist or to get lower cost on some medication.

Snyder Hill BLM in southwest Tucson Arizona is popular for people visiting the Desert Museum and near by National Parks and Titan II Missile Museum.