Honda CRV, oil change questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
So ordinarily I get the oil changed on my CRV every 3000 miles. I think I'm slightly overdue (as luck would have it, I screwed up my odometer setting, and the mechanic's sticker from the last oil change has an error). But when I look at the "oil life indicator" it says 50%.

Are there any Honda gurus (or, like, 21st-century-car gurus) who can tell me ... can I trust that indicator thing, or should get the oil changed now based on mileage?

Other question -- how important is it, really, to use Honda-brand engine fluids (rather than, say, other good-quality brands) in a Honda? I've heard some pretty good arguments for "yes, important" but I'm still a bit confused. Is it equally important for everything (engine, transmission, coolant) or really just an issue for some things?

And finally, assuming it is important, does that mean you have to get all your work done (that requires fluid replacement anyway) at a dealership, or do other mechanics stock Honda-brand supplies too?

Thanks for any advice. This is my first vehicle from this millenium; I am still catching up 🙃

As a nomadic person I am not often near a Honda dealer so it would be very inconvenient for me to get my oil changed at a dealer.

maki2 said:
As a nomadic person I am not often near a Honda dealer so it would be very inconvenient for me to get my oil changed at a dealer.
Well, we all have to weigh different inconveniences. Having your vehicle die early is pretty inconvenient too. Taking good care of your vehicle is a high priority for nomads too.

But depending on the substantive answers to my questions, you might not even have to go to a dealer for this (have my doubts, but still hoping). So why don't we wait and see if anyone has some info to share?

Not sure what year your CR-V is, but Honda is recommending getting your Honda CR-V oil & filter changed
every 3,000-5,000 miles for conventional oil.
Synthetic oil usually should be changed every 7,500 - 10,000 miles
Earlier models this is what I found:
  • Car models from before 2008 should have their oil changed every 3,000 miles.
  • Car models from 2008 or a few years after should get it changed every 5,000-7,500 miles.
  • Cars made several years after 2008 should be safe to get it changed every 7,500-10,000 miles.
There is no need to use Honda brand oils. Phillips66 has an agreement as the exclusive supplier of Honda lubricants and oils but after that it comes down to getting a quality lubricant not a cheap one. After all, someone driving a Honda might say you should never drive a Subaru, but really a Subaru is as good/maybe better than a Honda. They've both passed the motor vehicle standards.

You can have your car serviced anywhere and still maintain the manufacturer's warranty. You can bring the car to a place like Jiffy Lube, to an independent shop, or even another dealership that's not the same car brand as your car.” However, damage resulting from a faulty repair may not be covered.

I wouldn't worry about being slightly over the recommended mileage as long as you've checked your oil regularly. My van needs a quart added about once a month, but after a long trip I check it and find I need to usually add a quart at that time.

Last edited:
Interesting! Lots of that I had never heard before. appreciate it.

So the explanation I keep hearing about "use Honda products only" is that there are, I'm probably saying this wrong but something like this, differences in the metal alloys used in the engine and other innards from one make to another, and these correspond to differences in the car fluids, so if over the long term you use generic fluids instead of the ones that are made for your vehicle, the innards will corrode more quickly. Not super quickly but enough so you won't get the full famous Honda longevity out of it.

I don't know if this is only a Honda thing or if the same thing is said about all makes.

And I don't know if it's just a scammy little pressure tactic to make you get your service from the dealer, or if it's real. I do want to get as many years/miles out of this vehicle as I can, and I'd hate to be penny wise pound foolish by ignoring this thing ... if it's real.

Pretty sure I always get synthetic oil so I should be good for awhile. It's a 2011.

As long as the oils, coolants, greases, and filters that you buy from a reputable supplier such as Pennzoil, Zerex, Lucas, Amsoil, Castrol, Quaker State, Shell, Mobil, Fram, etc, all meet the standards that Honda (or anyone else) has made public, then you are good as gold. Please dont buy the cheapest off-brand oils and coolants, stay with name brands because they have a reputation to provide high quality products that meet the published standards of most major brands of vehicles.

Extending your oil drain interval every now and then and already being outside of warranty coverage, wont hurt a thing. You need to get it done, but there is no need to change your entire life events based on a few hundred miles past the expected time.

A vehicle that is within warranty is a different case: the owner should make every attempt to have the oil changed (or do it themselves) per the published maintenance schedule in the owners manual.

My personal opinion is I would trust the odometer and if driving on gravel or dirt roads often consider it extreme use and not go over 5,000 miles even with synthetic oils. I believe your owners manual will define and shorten recommended change mileages when a vehicle is used on roads like found on BLM lands out west. 3,000 mile intervals with conventional oils and factory filters under normal conditions have allowed my Hondas to go an average of 300,000 miles before they started to show wear and start to burn oil. There are many aftermarket fluids that will meet Hondas specifications and state so on their products. Used to be power steering fluid was hard to find that met Hondas specs but not so much any more.

Good to know, guys, thank you!
Yes, I always get good quality/known brands. This does not seem like something to skimp on.
And yeah, I'm so impressed with all the sensors and stuff this car has (my previous car was old enough to vote lol), but it probably does make sense to trust the odometer.
Gracias.

It's been decades since it was ruled that a manufacturer requiring a vehicle to be maintained by a dealer to maintain the warranty is illegal. Keep your receipts, with dates and milage, for the parts and fluids or the work orders if done by a shop/service center. I won't even work on my own cars laying on my back in the desert or forest where I'm camped at. I've had my Caravan serviced at Valvoline Oil Instant service centers for the last 30k every 4-5000 miles at different cities and states without ever a problem or complaint. They guide you in the bay, you wait in your vehicle, pay in your vehicle. they guide you out and you're gone. Too easy

Personally, I would stay with the dealer service and steer clear of the quicky lube joints. Most will be OK but many are staffed by green, minimum wage 'techs' that can make mistakes like using the wrong lubes, or antifreeze and rounding off drain plugs,etc. I've had two bad experiences with them that thankfully didn't cause any serious damage. After that, I just do it myself but I know lots of people don't want to deal with the hassle. In the long run it wouldn't be that much more expensive taking it to a dealer unless you did a ton of driving and had to get service every couple of months. YMMV