Living in an XJ.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, no XJ livin' for the next 6 months. I downsized to renting a bedroom. Much less in rent than before, but still more than it'd cost me in the XJ.

The good news is I've pared down my extra belongings to a 5 x 5 storage unit. I'm going to whittle that down as much as possible over the next 6 months. (Mostly books because I can't stand to get rid of them). The goal is not to need storage at all.

P82A01161_zps1d4fd9f3.jpg

The XJ itself remains simple. I need to save up for tinted windows.

P82A01111_zpsd5a18d5e.jpg

Thanks for checking back in. I had almost forgotten about this thread.

Been eyeballing that cargo area since May. Added tint, curtains, reflectix for the windows. Perfectly private. Now I'm concerned about weight, handling, and the effect on my MPG. Maximize the use of space but keep it light, and keep my vertical space. (Head room is important. I'm not claustrophobic, but tight spaces bother me).

Need to get to measuring and drawing something up. There will be milk crates.

You know, the title is off. This is car camping we're talking about.

Testing a setup that leaves as much sleep space as possible. (That cushion needs to be on the passenger side, and the shelf/storage on the left).

P82A0204_zps7b8351b8.jpg

The six months is up.

I installed curtains, following Suanne's advice. Easy peasy. I need to pick up a mattress topper to cut to size. It's too uncomfortable right now. Makes me shift around.

Also need a couple of things to prevent snoring. Not very stealthy, roaring like that at night.

tumblr_nfrkzs2cHN1tkh87to1_1280.jpg

A C-PAP machine will stop snoring, and give you a better night's sleep. It can be run on 12V too, without the humidifier. Of course you'd need a good method of recharging your battery. I use the full mask, as I am a mouth breather and the nose tubes don't work for me.
How long is your bed? Looks well less than 6'. Being 6'4" tall, I need a longer bed. My minivan gives me that.

You've made a good choice on your ride. A jeep XJ is an awesome vehicle. A 4.0 engine is super tough. Lots of space inside, especially if you take out the back seats. There are some exceptional online repair sites where posters will help you on troubleshooting and mods. Looking to find an xj myself so I'm definitely watching your posts for good ideas. Will be particular interested if you go with a CPAP as my spouse needs one. I won't be in mine full time, but will probably be alone much of the time. It will be my week at a time escape for fishing, hiking, and rejuvenating.

I have to chuckle about the snoring. I don't snore, but I have a BIG dog that has lively dreams. Shake the vehicle kind of dreams. Not stealthy. No fix for that! lol

Cool build, definitely a challenge to make every square inch count!

Love this thread. I own a 98 xj (my user name) that is set up for off roading. Winch, lifted, lockers in front and rear diffs, rock sliders, etc and it gets used offroad as much as I can. You mentioned getting a vent on top for ventilation. A sun roof would do that for you and keep the stealth look that you need. Pulling the carpet was a great idea prior to doing the build. I had to do that on mine also to inspect the floors and solve rain leaks but, I think you might want to reconsider reinstalling the carpet. I drove mine for a few weeks without the carpet and head line. Was very noisey and I was glad when I got them back in due to heat and cold transmitted through the metal. I even put carpet pad from Lowes under it. Made a big difference. Keep up the good work.

So it's been a while. I've been strictly sleeping in the Jeep overnight.

Pros:
- No rent to pay.
- No place to maintain.
- Found a place where they repealed a ban on vehicle dwelling, so it's legal for now. Nice and calm (albeit noisy with traffic until midnight or so.)
  - 24 Hour fitness

Cons:
- No room to stretch! I read the warnings and it really becomes a problem.
- Lack of insulation. I need lots of blankets to get by.
- Moisture is a problem in spite of adjustments I made to mitigate that.
- Having to go to the gym to shower. Just an inconvenience.

Oh, and I also added vent visors to keep the windows open a crack. I can't imagine the moisture level if I didn't have that bit of air flowing in.

Have you looked something like a nicro 24hour solar vent? They run all day and night to help with humidity.

Hey Baloo. Hadn't checked that out until you mentioned it. Looks perfect for me.

However, an update. I've been in the Jeep for a while now and it's going alright, but that leg room is cramping my style. It really gets tough to sleep and I feel tired at work the next day. I've decided I like the mobility but the Jeep isn't a good long term solution. I'm planning a move to a low cost area to start making serious headway into my debt as well as save for a more appropriate liveaboard vehicle.

The Jeep is still fantastic in a pinch, though, so it pains me to swap for something else. Maybe when the Jeep has lived its full life I'll make the switch.

Vic. said:
Hey Baloo. Hadn't checked that out until you mentioned it. Looks perfect for me.

However, an update. I've been in the Jeep for a while now and it's going alright, but that leg room is cramping my style. It really gets tough to sleep and I feel tired at work the next day. I've decided I like the mobility but the Jeep isn't a good long term solution. I'm planning a move to a low cost area to start making serious headway into my debt as well as save for a more appropriate liveaboard vehicle.

The Jeep is still fantastic in a pinch, though, so it pains me to swap for something else. Maybe when the Jeep has lived its full life I'll make the switch.

So, what about keeping the jeep, and adding a 6x12 cargo trailer? Looks pretty comfy, and you can decide how much leg room you get.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/eds-great-cargo-trailer-conversion/

I would think the XJ would be a little small to tow a 6x12 full time. But my younger son has an XJ so I'll hook it up to my 6x12 when he comes home from college this summer and report back. It will be a couple months, but it will be a good test. I would like to eventually switch from towing it with my truck to a JK 4 door if I can find the right one at the right price.

Well, I don't know much, granted. But when I checked the towing cap on the XJ, I found posts stating between 5000-6000lbs. If that's not correct, then my suggestion is pretty silly. If it is correct, the 6x12s I've looked at weigh significantly less than that (1300-1900), and some have up to 75" inside height which would let him stand up straight. :D If he's just looking for a place to kit out for sleeping, he wouldn't add much weight. This one has a vent and a light. Obviously change options on the nose, and the rear doors.

http://diamondcargo.com/6x12-Single-Axle-DIAMOND-Model-P2357874.aspx