Live in it? No warranty for you!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technomad

Reaction score
Found an RV that I kinda liked, and so I checked out the owners manual online and found this:

"NOTE: Your motorhome is not designed, nor intended, for permanent housing.
Use of your motorhome for long term
or permanent occupancy may lead to premature deterioration of its structure, interior nishes, fabrics, carpeting, and/or window treatments, etc. Damage and/or deterioration due to long term occupancy is not considered normal, and may under the terms of the warranty constitute misuse, abuse, or neglect, and therefore void certain warranty protections. "

Big reason I avoided the purchase of an RV/motor home that was newer....the manufacturer does not put in quality....they admit it.

Want a good quality, solid built motorhome? Build it yourself.

Buy a complete piece of trash. Gut it back to the skin and build in the quality that will last.

That text does not imply that you don't have a warranty, it just says damages that are caused by your "excessive" use are not covered.

This is standard and a topic over the years in full-timing forums. When we had repairs under warranty, no one asks about usage. It can be difficult to get repairs under warranty in the first place, so buying used a couple of years or more old makes sense as you can do the repair yourself or just find someone and pay them to do it. Most things that fail on a new RV fail once the warranty is out. Appliances and some other items are covered separately, so that statement wouldn't even apply as they have their own "warranty" in the booklet that comes with the RV. With the manufacturer's warranty, it is mostly structural, and it really has to be crap to fail within a year or two.

Seriously, buying a "like new" used unit will save one a lot of cash. So many excellent units out there that are barely used at all. Never pay "sticker" price.

Given the motorhome being used as permanent housing has existed for at least 4 generations, these words in the manual provide more than a safety net for the manufacturer by providing information to the consumer to be used as a guideline while shopping. Some units are designed for full time use, some are not. And between the extremes of the choices that are available is the rig of your choice. The warranty period is short relative to the life of the rig so testing everything within that period is important, and beyond that it'll be just the same as an average home owner using the big orange store.

My warranty said the same thing due to humidity. That was 8 seasons ago and the warranty was one year on one of the least expensive trailer brands you can buy. It never needed a warranty repair or any for that matter.

Yeah, I tend to ignore language like that, just thought it was funny.

On one hand, I can build it myself and then I know its don't "right" (at least my version of right) and will know where everything is and how its set up to make changes and improvements later.

On the other hand, with an RV they build it and it's "Luxurious" (god I hate brown, let me tell you) .... but more luxurious than what I'm planning, that's for sure!