Lithium Ion Batteries and the Phenomenon of Thermal Runaway

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me that safety and durability are basic problems as the batteries will be exposed to temperatures where charging becomes a problem. Solving the problem requires more electronic controls which in my opinion is just more things that can fail. I experienced similar situations while in the military dealing with missile oxidizer that boiled ( a very bad thing to have happen ) at 74 degrees stored in an aluminum tank a little thicker than a soda can stored in the Arizona desert. The more complicated the safety mechanisms the more likely they will fail in my experience. When charging cycles decrease the economy of buying these batteries suffers as well. I guess what we need to know is how much abuse affects the number of charge cycles batteries will achieve and how many layers of safety they have as a rapidly discharged/undercharged battery is apparently as dangerous as an over charged battery? I have seen reports that a simple clogged cooling air filter can drastically affect the life of batteries in a Prius, Should batteries stored in the desert in a hot van be any different?

Last edited: