• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold Listing my box van on Craigslist

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanmannorm

Reaction score
I haven't followed this site long enough to know if one can post a vehicle for sale but I guess I'll find out.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/d/casa-grande-van-build-rv/7423766144.html
After almost 8 years of this van being my home as a nomad, I’ve decided to sell it and go back to a home base.
With only a little over 102,000 miles on it’s 6.5L Detroit Diesel engine, it is in its childhood as diesel engines go. This van has five 170 watt solar panels for a total of 850 watts of solar generating power and a Tesla battery module that has the capacity of 5.3 kilowatt hours electrical storage which pretty much eliminates the need to be tied to the grid for your basic electrical needs. The components that I’ve installed to supply electrical power are name brand components and not cheap Chinese knockoffs.
As you can see from the pictures, it includes microwave, large sink, air conditioner, 25 gallon fresh water tank, 10 gallon gray water tank with electric dump valve, Engel freezer, 12/120 volt refrigerator, one burner propane camping stove, fire extinguisher, carbon monoxide detector, filing cabinet, shelves and lots of storage. The bed tilts up so you can get at the two large Rubbermade storage totes. The top of the refrigerator has a slide out top that allows it to be used as a table/desk. Either add a chair or sit on the bed would allow it’s use.
Doing a quick addition of the electrical system and other items it adds up to at least $7000 and that doesn’t include any labor.

All 7 of the interior lights are LED for low current draw. I’ve installed a trickle charger so the engine batteries are always topped off when camping for an extended period of time. There are tire monitors so you can keep an eye on tire pressure as well as a rear facing camera with dash monitor. A front hitch and rear hitch are mounted and included as well, as are two large military ammo boxes where I stored oil, fuel and things I didn’t want inside the van.

The van has 70”of head room, it’s 76” wide and 10’long inside plus the cab area.
You can see from the pictures, there is steel shelving installed ready for your totes or plastic shelving units, etc or if you’re handy and want more of a motor home look, wood cabinets would be easy to install. But if you want something real quick and easy, put in your Walmart components and you’re ready to hit the road.
I kept a comprehensive record of every fuel stop and maintenance that I’ve done in this unit. As of right now as far as maintenance, it needs nothing. Is it perfect? No, but nothing that would stop you from heading out on a cross country trip with confidence. I just got back in October from my summer trip up to North Dakota and with a month of camping in the Coconino and Kaibab National Forests west of Flagstaff.

Nice rig. I would love this (if I hadn't just bought a vintage camper to rebuild & a minivan to tow it with.)

It's a ready to go rig with quality where it counts (electrical).

Reasonably priced ($12K on Craigslist) for what's included, especially with low mileage.

I would love to get more info and pictures of how you mounted the solar panels to the side and how its secured in travel and deployed positions. I'd like to do something similar on my Scotty camper.

Thank you. The drivers side panel pivots at the top and is held in the upright position with PVC pipe. While in the down position, it meshes with aluminum angle and is bolted with 1/4" bolts. The passenger side panel is generally left where it is but can be removed with six 5/16" bolts and positioned into the sun with the 30' extension cables that are included. The three panels on the roof are made to hinge up some to take advantage of the low winter sun but to be honest, I never did use that feature after adding the side panels.

Last edited:
If I were in a position to buy this I'd jump on it. Solid deal. I appreciate the post if for no other reason that getting some build ideas.

There is other free dispered camping around,
including NFS...national forest service, COE..,Corp of Engineers. BLM dispersed camping is not everywhere.

I camped for free all summer on NFS land in Northern AZ under the 14 day stay rules. There is Forest Service free camping less than a mile to the south entrance of the Grand Canyon National Park. I used my America the Beautiful pass to go into the park and while there took advantage of the free dumpsters, free potable water, free waste water dumping. The grocery store in the park while fairly expensive compared to a big city is less expensive than the grocery store in the small town just outside the park and has a reasonably good selection of foods.

WA state has a $35 annual fee for dispesed camping in the WA state forest lands. There is a lot of that land in the state.

Some states such as Arizona have State trust land dispersed camping. You have to get permits for that, the cost of permits can vary and sometimes is even free. Texas has some free camping but some of it is land designated for hunting. Permits are often required.

You will just have to figure out where you want to go and do further research. Every state is going to vary as to what is available and when.

Maki, did you mean for that post to be added to a vehicle for sale thread?

Camper and Truck-no rust, no leaks for $17.9k

Attachments

• CAMPER LS TOP VIEW.jpg
    CAMPER LS TOP VIEW.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 15
Not sure about this thread, it seems to be stale with a mixture of topics so I put the 'SOLD' flag on it.
Maybe the OP will see it and let us know if they actually did sell the vehicle.