Lifestyle change ahead

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjay1947

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I have been reading this forum for awhile and have learned a lot. I have had a health issue to take care of and am now healthy enough to travel. I've been a RN  for the past 25 years and currently work part-time. I retired from the military after 20 years and have seen a an bit of this country and a bit of the world.  However they were always fleeting moments and I like most lived on a schedule, worked, and raised a family. I'm ready to hit the road. It if not now then when?  So I plan to buy a van this week. I've suffered paralysis analysis for several weeks and have gone from thinking Class B, to High top van. to 4 wheel drive pickup, to a regular roof van. AM now thinking seriously of a chevy express 2500 cargo van, 46000 miles, 4.8L V8, LWB. Plan to convert it myself with the occasional help of a handyman. carpenter/electrician . I have sleep apnea and use a BiPap machine and would be interested in others with the same issue and how much solar power it takes to run their machine for 7-8 hours. I read conflicting information on the number of amps it takes.  Plan to head to the high country by the end of July and will be looking forward to meeting some of you, social isolation notwithstanding.
Jay

Welcome to the CRVL forums Jay! Hope to see you out on the road soon!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

The number of choices in machines can be very confusing. But you can reduce the choices to a manageable level using keywords related to your desire for travel.

Add the words portable or travel to your search for machines. Those keywords will bring up the ones that are easy to take along in a van and weed out the larger machines only suitable for home use.

Welcome Jay. It is always a conflict which type of vehicle to start with. Seldom does someone stay in the type of rig that they started in. Each type has good and bad points. I am a part time traveler. I fixed up a low top van and after a month in it I wished that I had something that I could stand up in.
I then bought a toy hauler trailer. The van struggled pulling it, so I put in a bigger engine. Still not the greatest. I then bought a used 1 ton dually pickup. So I figured why even tow anything, and put a full size truck camper on it.

Cool to hear your journey through different rigs. I'm currently on my first rig, which is a 30 foot fifth wheel. I actually really like it, but have been watching tons of videos about truck campers lately, especially the "four wheel" brand pop up truck campers. I'm going to stick with the fifth wheel for at least a few years, but my second rig might be a truck camper. If I decided to go smaller, that would definitely be my direction, as I love my truck and think I'd enjoy a truck camper more than a van personally. I also have 80K miles on a truck that will probably make it at least 300K, so I want to stay with rigs that work with my truck, either small fifth wheels or a truck camper. (I don't want to bumper pull. It stresses me out, and that's totally not the point of my travels.)

DannyB1954 said:
Welcome Jay. It is always a conflict which type of vehicle to start with. Seldom does someone stay in the type of rig that they started  in. Each type has good and bad points. I am a part time traveler. I fixed up a low top van and after a month in it I wished that I had something that I could stand up in.
I then bought a toy hauler trailer. The van struggled pulling it, so I put in a bigger engine. Still not the greatest. I then bought a used 1 ton dually pickup. So I figured why even tow anything, and put a full size truck camper on it.
Thanks. I really wanted a high top van but I'm trying to stick to a plan. I had a low roof van in the 70's that I converted and had no problems. Of course I was in my 20's then and am now in my 70's so we shall see how I adapt. Its all part of the journey. Thanks again

Cjay1947 said:
I had a low roof van in the 70's that I converted and had no problems. Of course I was in my 20's then and am now in my 70's so we shall see how I adapt.

How's your back?  For me that rules out a regular height van. I have a mid-high top conversion van and it is tolerable but I still am waiting until I can afford either a high-top van or a cargo trailer that I can stand in.

Welcome to the forum.

if you have a BMI of less than 40kg/m2. Furthermore, if you can easily breathe through your nose and you are under 18, Winx Sleep Therapy is one of the critical alternative treatments for sleep apnea.
here is a list of 20 alternative CPAP mask Treatments