LESS THAN 1/2 PRICE FLOORING, PAINT, & LUMBER

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
There was a recent post here of what I think is a absolutely gorgeous wood look vinyl  plank floor in a van.   While at a local building supply to haul 4x4s and concrete for a friend in my truck I started looking around and chatting with an employee. 

We were standing by a display of both wood and vinyl flooring planks...when I mentioned that I was thinking about using that style of flooring in a popup tent camper I was offered a box that was damaged [only the ends of 2 or 3 planks} for $24.99.....it sells for $59.99...I don't remember if it was 30 or 50 square ft.  Also it was in shorter pieces about 18in. so perfect for my needs....if I knew my sq. footage and had a xtra $25! 

I am always looking for bargains but I had never thought about boxes of floor coverings with light damage.  

Has anyone here done the square peel and stick tiles in a van or R.V.?  Is it staying stuck?   I did a mobile home  floor once and there is  a trick to it that I learned to keep from having the adhesive from the back stuck to my hands...also it's easy to cut to fit odd spaces.

Now I'm wondering about polyviso sheets or other insulation with a damaged place...or refletix......I already look for "cull" lumber...at Lowes there  is often good wood pieces in the trash cans in the lumber dept.  If it's something I can use I just find someone and ask for it.......sometimes there is no charge & sometimes they put "damage" price sticker of 25 or 50 cents........beats paying $2 or $3 for a 2x4  when I need only a short section.  

Sometimes I don't even need a store for a bargain...Roadside Shopping this Sunday I found a pair of red Adirondack plastic lawn chairs and a  nice large bronze colored metal vase with a floral arrangement.  I recently gave a friend a pair of really nice Zero Gravity lounge chairs. 
Most of my neighbors and family know I do this and even tell me what they need... :) ...For a little time and gas I get some fresh air.....Queenie gets to ride like a hound dog with the wind blowing back her little chihuahua ears....I save money and get to help out others, some don't have vehicles,  a few who Queenie will allow in " her" truck go along to "shop" too.

I have also found that in some stores many types of paint that are "mis-tinted" sell for $5 a gallon or at least 1/2 price...The store I was at have a discontinued line they will tint for you at $14gal that is regularly $27gal.  
Just thought I'd pass this info along thinking that I'm not the only one on a fixed income or just that likes to get a bargain.

I AM LOSING MY GRIP :-/ I CAN"T BELIEVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF DAMAGED FLOORING PLANKS!
                                      Jewellann and Killer aka Queenie

Looking on Craigslist, usually there is a lot of that stuff in the FREE section.  

I have given away several partial boxes of flooring over the years.

I got industrial grade vinyl plank click flooring from the Habitat for Humanity store 'Restore' for $15.00 a carton.

So $30.00 got me enough to do the van floor area I wanted covered rather than the ridiculous price I was going to have to pay for it at a Cdn H/D. At the time, it wasn't exactly the color I was looking for but after a while it's grown on me and looks great on the floor. It's also survived some brutality during the rest of the construction and moving processes.

I was in there looking for a scrap of counter top laminate that I wanted but I also noticed a huge aisle of electrical supplies, mostly all 120V stuff though.

I've also checked out the scrap section at H/D before buying the good stuff, sometimes you can find some real bargains depending on what you need.

GotSmart said:
Looking on Craigslist, usually there is a lot of that stuff in the FREE section.  

I have given away several partial boxes of flooring over the years.
You're right about CL...down here it seems to be mostly unwanted animals [even a goat] and empty moving boxes, or things I cannot use.   The 'farm' and 'materials' sections seem to have some good buys especially in either rough cut or reclaimed lumber.

Speaking of building......... how is your van progressing and how r you?

Queenie has been terrorizing the sanitation guys that come each week and "steal" her trash can, she jumps up and down and barks and growls..... even at me until they bring it back....then she is like Miss Cool   :cool: trash can  I didn' see no stinkin' trash can.                                  Stay Safe   Jewellann and Fat Possum

Almost There said:
I got industrial grade vinyl plank click flooring from the Habitat for Humanity store 'Restore' for $15.00 a carton.
****************************************************************************************

Thank You for reminding me about the "restore".  we tore up the road to Sioux Falls SD going to Restore.   In 2004 and 2005 over about 8mos. myself and 2 other family members bought 3 older houses about 35mls. S.W. of Sioux Falls.  Farm auctions, St Vincent DePaul, Salvation Army and the Union Gospel Mission Stores all played a big part in repair materials and furnishing our homes.  I  :heart: :heart: farm auctions, my 4 grandsons were between 7ys and 3ys....they sure got upset when we were outbid on certain items.

I have been here for 6 years and have never been able to catch the Restore open...of course living in an apt. I don't need too many building supplies.

I'm determined to have some sort of usable wheeled shelter this fall.  My Viking Pop-up will sleep up to six {gotta do somethin' about that} or somebody will end up either in tears,  P.O.d or bruised....I may be a fool at times however too many of us {fools} in close quarters tend to get on my last nerve...I have been known to clean house by opening the door and flinging things out  :dodgy: depending on the situation.  

The Viking is paid for, has less than 50 miles on new tires and buddy bearings.  I'm hoping the repairs aren't as bad as I first thought.  The best part...It's mine and I can do what pleases me with it....I'll never be able to have a Gypsy Wagon, however I can decorate it like one and I'm not to old to have a "Play House"   :)  I already have plenty of curtains, sewing material, rugs, linens, paint and wall paper, kitchen stuff, and I can experiment if needed. 

I intend to use a lot of the info I've gained here.  I want to add floor, sidewall and ceiling insulation for starters.    I'll start a build thread if that's O.K.   It's not a van but if I'm lucky this might get me out of this apt. and into the world...at least for a while. My Ranger needs to be replaced I think, and that's way more $$$ than working on the trailer....and it will keep me off the streets   :D     TJB