Leaving this Fla heat behind this summer.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rae Lynn

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Rae Lynn here.  I am new.  After years of taking care of my Mom and a handicapped brother I now have me time.  I was going to fix up a cargo trailer but I found one complete from a gentleman and I am picking it up tomorrow.  My mechanic friend in Tenn found me a van and he will be driving it down in a couple weeks.  Everything is coming together perfect so far.  I traveled in a van yrs ago when i was younger but we were really roughing it.  This time I will be comfy.   I do love to fish and I mean really love to fish.  The only thing I can't figure out is how to find the fishing spots to dry camp at.  Bob seems to be in the desert quite a bit and I have only seen 1 video where he was by water.  I am also making this year RTR and paying the 225.00 for the New Mexico yearly park pass.  It is great to be here.  Keep the rubber side down my friends.

Welcome Rae Lynn to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. little hint, there is some great fishing in the desert. highdesertranger

Welcome to the forum Rae Lynn, I've been camping and fishing for 50-years now and still can't wait until the next trip.

Come on up to NC in July and we'll show you some real fishing... stand knee deep in a flowing mountain river, and catch fish (and release them) until you are worn out.

I always say after the trip.... we could have caught more, but we were too tired.

Will be fishing out west next year.... can't wait.

Hi, Rae Lynn,
If you want wonderful dry air, cooler temps and lots of fishing then I highly recommend you visit Montana. I lived there for ten years but I'm not into fishing myself. However, I have enjoyed free camping in some spots where others fish a lot.

What comes to mind are that some Fish, Wildlife and Parks sites with boat launch facilities allow camping (some are free but most are not). I'm blanking on the name of one in eastern Montana not too far from the town of Columbus, but if you do a search for Montana FWP fishing access sites, you should get that agency's own website.

The small town of Columbus is another potential gem for you. They have a city park called Itch-kep-pe that is FREE to camp in (donations accepted). It is right on the Yellowstone River and there is a spot that folks launch their boats or rafts from within the park (it has two sections so don't miss the back section if you get up there). The town has some nice local restaurants and shopping, too.

On the western side of the state another nice lake site with free camping is the Clark Canyon Reservoir. Managed by the Bureau of Reclamation. It is a big, open area with not much vegetation, but you can quickly find the species of trout they fish for there with a Google search.

I'm assuming these places are still free, but it has been a little over three years since I was there so check everything out in advance. The state offers free lodging guides that have campgrounds listed in the back...and some older campgrounds with no current services can be used for free as well. Some of those are along rivers (because it is true that anywhere in western or central Montana a "river does run through it." It just takes some research to stay for months up there in free and water-side places. Good hunting.. or fishing.

Welcome Rae Lynn!  We do not fish either but we have camped near many lakes and streams where you only have a walk a short distance to go fishing.

You may want to decide where you're going to spend each season then buy a fishing license for that state.  New Mexico is kind of cold in the winter but fine in the spring and fall.  It looks like a lot of the state parks are on lakes - http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/spd/FindaPark.html

As WriterMs suggests some states have fishing lakes with free camping.  We camped in several in Kansas that were really pretty. Click through the links on the left side of the website to see if camping is allowed at each site - http://ksoutdoors.com/KDWPT-Info/Locations/State-Fishing-Lakes/Northeast-Region/Atchison

Another way to find good spots is to zoom in on the freecampsites map to find campsites that are located on lakes or streams - https://freecampsites.net/

Have fun and posts pictures of your campsites and fish!

Welcome Rae Lynn. If it's fishing you want come spend some time in Michigan. We have everything from Bluegill to Coho Salmon. Plenty of trout streams and rivers. Thousands of lakes and ponds. And we touch 4 of the 5 great lakes. All salt and shark free.

All the best with your new rig.   :) 

I have yet to get my trailer and fit it out the way I've drawn it in my "van conversion" website below.  At the top of the home page there is a link to my proposed trailer.

I used to go with my Ohio Grandparents to Florida during the winter where we would fish.  I would hear Grandad's friends telling him,  "Salt water and Brackish fishing will really spoil you". 

But the mid south has the Appalachian Mountains and if you can find a sweet spot to summer over in the higher cooler elevations you may also find some good streams there.  Good Trout fishing and of course Bass, Perch, and Catfish.   What I'd suggest is taking up Fly Fishing if you haven't already.  Fly Fishing & Fly tying are favorite activities of mine.

One of my "go to's" is the Muddler Minnow fly.  Catch a lot of fish with them.

muddler-minnow.jpg

Latest posts