Leaf Spring Detached from Frame on 5th Wheel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confetti

Reaction score
Not sure where to start or who to call. I have a broken leaf spring on my 27’ 5th wheel. It detached from the frame, then pierced the tire. 

I’m about 1/8 of a mile down a dirt road at Government Wash in Lake Mead near Las Vegas.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Lisa

I tried to add photos, but I don’t think it worked.

bummer, thats a drag

if you are unable to disassemble the broken parts and then go get replacements your self. then i would try to find "mobile mechanic" in the area. any reasonably competent mobile mech should be able to jack it up and unbolt the broken spring. then hopefully you wont have to hard a rime finding a replacement spring for them to bolt back in.

that is of course if it was just the spring that broke. if the frame mount cracked, came loose and dropped the spring it could be harder. can you post some pictures

good luck

Yea. If it didn't do any more damage to brakes, hub, etc, then replacing the leaf spring is a fairly simple process. Jack and jack stands a must.

That sucks though. Hope it all works out easy for you

ouch. I agree if you just lost a tire and a spring it's fairly easy and straight forward. trailer springs are pretty standard and inexpensive. highdesertranger

i am thinking if the spring pierced the tire, it was worse that a bolt breaking. getting a leafspring into a tire is a lot like putting your elbow in your ear. something is wrong if you can do that...

hard to say without pictures. laymans terms of "detached from the frame can be quite encompassing...

where the spring "eye" transitions to the flat part of the spring is a known weak point. hence the common practice of a "military wrap" on heavy duty and rugged springs. this is were the second leaf in the pack extends all the way and wraps around the eye. if the eye breaks, then the wrap catches and can save you from a long walk.

the fact that it was mentioned that it pierced the tire has me concerned that there was more carnage done after the "break" before it came to rest.

hopefully they can post up some pictures, or they are able to find someone the get them on the road again.

Some of them will just crack the spring...and depending on the setup, the wrong bump or brake application will twist and flex.
This can pretty easily stick a spring into a tire.

Ratchet straps and a couple of tire irons can often get you home if it IS just a cracked spring.
Only...most 5th wheels are heavy suckers. Increased weight, makes this temporary hack less practical.