Leadville BLM Camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wntrhwk

Reaction score
Hello, I did a search for " Leadville BLM Camping" and did not get anything, I am hoping someone has info on good sites/areas. I have a 4x4 so I can get pretty remote. Thx for the help.

wntrhwk, when you search, you should use the phrase "dispersed camping". I never tried more than overnight camping in the area, but some of the 14ers have 4wd access roads, where you might camp in the forest, namely Antero, Princeton, and Massive (all easy roads), plus there is a large 4wd area (easy) to the south of Rte 82 at the bottom of Independence Pass. You can also go back behind Homestake Reservoir n.w. of Leadville. Hike up to Holy Cross City (don't drive in that road). Nice area for hiking.

There is an area on the east side of the river down near Buena Vista very popular with boondockers. Elephant Rock, as I recall. Road 371.

I have not been there yet, but I have collected some data.

Colorado is light on BLM, nothing near Leadville.

FS FSR 110 (has five areas), 105, and 113, are listed as near Leadville and have dispersed areas.

Other Leadville FS areas:
Halfmoon Road Dispersed - USFS
Emerald Lake Dispersed - USFS
Lily Lake Dispersed - USFS

Most of the places I found (remote) had poor T-Mobile and/or the roads were best left to high clearance vehicles.

The state forest south of Turquoise Lake (39.247, -106.363) is crowded, spread out and has decent cell service.

This road, starting at 39°21'16.4"N 106°21'09.0"W
has a great road, but only the first few spots have cell signals. It has great access to water as well.

If cell service is a requirement, check various camping spots on freecampsites.net. They usually include a signal strength indication.

I use AT&T and Verizon for cell data. When you get away from population centers, the other carriers don't have the coverage the big 2 have. A signal booster like a wilson is handy to have too. I also added a directional antenna to my booster that I put on top of a painters pole. I can usually get service when no one else has any but have been in black hole spots too.

I found good cell coverage at the state forest disperses camping area south of Turquoise Lake. There are tons of sites from single vehicle to 5th wheel to 5+ group.

I found that if my Jetpack can't get any signal, then the Wilson Sleek and the directional antenna can't improve on zero. Last year I had the painter's pole clamped to the ladder and the cable dropped down through the refrigerator vent. Took it all off.
Line of sight to your carrier's cell tower is critical.
Some places ("place" used loosely, these areas are on the fringes of the middle of nowhere) have only 3G or 2G available. Recently found along a highway that advises "NO GAS FOR 164 MILES".

I have pulled a usable signal when my phone and jetpack said zero. The higher you can get the antenna in the air, the better and yes, a directional antenna has to be pointed toward the correct tower. Find where the towers are before you get to your destination while you still have a signal. I have used a bounced signal from a mountain down the valley.

Lots of dispersed camping in Lake County, lots of 4x4 trails as well. If you can't find anything in Leadville, the Twin Lakes area has loads of free campsites.

Forest road 705 north of Camp Hale. Forest road 415 (lily lake) past the sand pit just north of town off us24

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk