Layouts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:huh:Hey everyone I have a few questions about how to layout my van and get the most out of the space I have. I will mostly be traveling alone but will have a partner soon. Id like to build out the van for two comfortably. Things I want for sure are a full mattress well as close as possible 53"x72" is the area id like to stick to so I can fit it sideways in the back of the van. Maybe I should start with the dimensions I have to work with. the livable space to build in is 11' from the back door to the back of the drivers seat. 72" wide and 6'2" tall. the van is a hightop. Like i said before Id like the bes to be sideways in the back so i can sleep head on one window feet on the opposing window. Ive tried using like sketchup and other programs like it and just cant figure it out. But I kinda wanna see a layout physically ya know if I can see it I can build it. Is there anyone out there that knows how to use any of these programs that would be willing to talk with me and see if we can translate whats in my head to paper? I know its a lot to ask but it would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help you with any of the computer programs, but I can tell you what helped me with layout questions. I made cardboard versions and then moved them around in the van. Then you can stand in the middle of it and see/feel how much room there really is. I insulated first so I didn't have to allow for the "lost inches" that takes up, but once it was insulated I made cardboard cabinets and composting toilet and everything, and then I spent a week just moving things around and trying out different activities. I did use a flat piece of cardboard for the bed, cut/taped to actual size, but everything else was actual boxed out size. It really helped me get a feel for things. It might help you too! Good luck!

Here’s my experience: it’s easy to figure out where to put the main items; the real talent is refining your design to take advantage of the close clearances. The one and two inch spaces that go to waste here and there can really mount up when laying out a small space like a van.

I did my design on paper; then I cut out scale pieces and moved them around. Then, when I thought I had everything perfect, I actually built the interior out of cheap strand board. This is where I adjusted things, an inch here and an inch there, to really make the layout space efficient. I remember moving the bed one inch to make room for the bead spread hanging down the side! Things like that can really improve the way you are going to maximize your available space.

That was nine years ago, and we haven’t had to move anything.

Hope this helps. . .

thanks for the input guys I just watched a crap ton of different layouts on youtube and found a van exactly like mine and i loved his build so I am shooting for something like it now!

I have a Promaster and I sleep sideways, but the Promasters are more than 72" wide. If you've got only 72" in total width, unless you don't insulate at all, I don't see how you're going to do it.

I'm curious about the one you like that you're looking at. Do you have a link?

speaking from experience, if you or your partner are over 5'6", sleeping sideways in the back will not work. i have discovered that a sliding bed behind the drivers seat (adjusts from 26" to 52" wide) along the wall is pretty amazing. when its not extended, it makes a great lounge/work area. i made mine 7' in length, and its perfect for my 6' frame with pillow(s). just my two cents...

At 5'10", I wouldn't consider trying to sleep 2 up in a 72" space (I like to stretch my toes out, and not bang my head), unless you could sleep solo at an angle. I have plans to have a bed that runs length wise behind the drivers seat that then will get folded up flat against the driver's side wall, with 3 or 4 hinged 2x4 support legs that fold into the recess of the bed when against the wall. A 6'6" bed would leave 4'6" in your 11' opening for a kitchen counter top, or a set of floor to ceiling shelves/desk either at the front or the back of the bed.