Laptop Temperature

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebuild

Reaction score
If this has been addressed before, I apologize. I didn't find it, so...

How do people who use laptops deal with temperature issues? It is 32 degrees today and my MacBook lost almost half its charge just sitting overnight. I don't run the heat at night because I have a pretty warm bedding setup, and I really don't want to run it just to keep a battery warm, but I guess I need to address this or else kill the battery.  Does anyone use a heated sleeve or anything to keep your electronics safe? I realize that most of you just move somewhere warmer but that's not an option for me at the moment. I am actually in MO headed to the RTR but typically I am in New England. Since I'm there caring for my Mom I can just stash my laptop in her house but that's not going to be the situation for a while. 

I'm guessing hot weather is a similar challenge I will face someday - ah, the thought of it being "too hot" sounds amoaxing right now! - so if anyone has thoughts on that too I'd love to hear them.

I quit buying batteries for my older Windows laptop because the generic replacement batts don't last very long. So I have to plug in every time and it's a hassle but to deal with that I use my Kindle Fire tablet a lot.

Put it in the bed with you is all that I can think of. I don't use my laptop all that often and I tend to stay in milder temps. Most everything I do on the computer is done with my desktop (micro PC). No battery to worry about except the house battery. When I plan on breaking out the laptop, I generally charge it overnight but I have enough house battery. I don't try to keep the laptop heated.

Most consumer laptops are not very happy trying to be operated in cold temps (below 50 or so) ....the battery will not perform well during charge or discharge cycles, and the little fan(s) will struggle to warm their bushings or bearings. If yours has a spinning hard drive, that too will struggle in colder temps.

I'd suggest slipping it into a soft bag of some kind and store it under the pillow or at the foot of your sleeping bag at night. Make darn sure it is NOT in 'sleep' mode...ironic as that sounds...it needs to be completely shut down if enclosed this way.

I used to do all of my work on laptops and desktops.  I now do everything on my iPad.  It not only uses much less power but takes up much less space.  Also it can be charged directly from 12 volt DC.

I have a direct-from-12V charger for my laptop (in addition to the usual AC-to-DC thing).

How do you view forums like this one on an Ipad? Does it work the same as a laptop?

Yes.  The web browser that I use is Safari.  It has a ‘favorites’ tab as well as bookmarks.  I just enter the web site ‘cheaprvliving.com’ and enter. 

I have a Bluetooth keyboard built into a case cover so that I can type on a regular keyboard.  The only real difference is that instead of a mouse, I either use an iPad pen or my finger.

A forum can give you a return of a wide variety of opinions. But you are talking about an investment of hundreds of dollars that might potentially effect your income and most certainly is critical to communications for managing things such as finances.

So just go to the sources where there are professionals who work with, design and repair computers.
Here is an article about this very subject of the impact of cold weather on laptops. I am sorry but you will not be happy to see what they say but I am sure you already realized you are in deep trouble trying to use it under your present living conditions. No one ever said you could have it all go your way just because you want to live inexpensively in the cold and save on heat. Technology has its limitations for the types of physical environments they best function in.

https://www.laptopmd.com/4-ways-to-protect-your-laptop-in-cold-weather/

At night, just tuck it in bed with you. Been sleeping with my laptop for years, no problems. Under the pillow is a pretty good spot, but really, it likes your body heat! (Kind of endearing...)

During the day, if you're driving with the heat on, keep it on the passenger seat - plenty warm, but not right in front of the vent. If you're not driving but the laptop must stay in the vehicle, tuck it back in bed. You won't be facing subzero temps in MO, will you?

"but not right in front of the vent."
Unlike the person in the info link above, who has the heater about a foot from the back of the laptop's screen.

I'm having the opposite problem of trying to cool my laptop down here in Oz.

Thanks HDR, yeah not far from the Alpine fires but have a good exit strategy if we need to leave quickly. Rain has been falling elsewhere but not here yet.