Laptop storage in van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gevalia

Reaction score
All,
I have a chevy express that I am almost done building out for my needs. I've done everything expecting things to change so I have flexibility. But I have 1 think I don't know where to put so I'm looking for suggestions or how you've done things. It's my laptop (and also I have a smaller netpad) and I'm not sure where I should put them in the van. The plan is to boondock and resupply once a week. I hike and photograph so will be away from the van for most of the day. No plans on city sleeping. 

Anyway, my layout (if you can imagine it) is a fold-out table/cook location on the left barn door. Bulkhead behind drivers seat with all electronics, then batteries, and a tool garage behind that around where the gas pipe is. And then 2 30" high cabinets on either side with about a foot of open space at the drivers rear aft of the cabinet. This is where my water containers and "bucket" are. I am sleeping on a folding cot that is down the center that stores away leaving 34" of open space when not in use. 

Again, when I am away from the van (or even when traveling), I need a way or place to store/hide the laptop. 

Thoughts?
Regards,
Ron

I have two laptops (I need them both for my work). One I always keep with me in my backpack. The other stays in the van whenever I don't need it. Mostly I just tuck it under my bed, but if it's really hot or really cold, I drop it into a small cooler, which both hides it and protects it from temp extremes.

Get a safe small enough to fit in the space but large enough to hold your items. Bolt it in place thru the floor. Done

I use a 0.75 cubic foot Sentry Safe ($50ish at Walmart on Amazon)

Van-Tramp said:
Get a safe small enough to fit in the space but large enough to hold your items. Bolt it in place thru the floor. Done

I use a 0.75 cubic foot Sentry Safe ($50ish at Walmart on Amazon)

hmmm. interesting, i'm using a 50cal box for paperwork now. but the safe idea may solve both problems. thanks.

I switched everything to my iPad.  All of my banking, budgeting, investing, email, video editing, email, entertainment, library, etc.  It’s much smaller than my laptop and takes much less power to recharge.  When I was still working, I also had a VPN/virtual desktop on my iPad so I could hook into work.  

Also since the iPad is much lighter, I can easily carry it in my backpack.  I also have a small foldable portable solar panel that I can also carry in my backpack to recharge my iPad.

thanks but that's not an option for me because as a personal preference, I don't do Apple. And I'm looking for storage/security ideas for a laptop anyway.

For almost six years I've just slipped my laptop, tablet and camera into the cupboard with my clothing and bedding. No problems. Yet.

Be aware that many/most states now have laws prohibiting "hidden compartments" in autos.

What is a "hidden compartment"? It was original intent was to prohibit a hole cut into the metal of the car (behind paneling) where people could hide drugs, but unfortunately the definition allows just about any closing compartment to be labeled as "hidden". A locked and hidden compartment will likely really irritate the police if you consent to a search of your vehicle (first lesson: don't consent) and could provide more probable cause for them to do a more "thorough" search (read: destroy your car) and/or arrest you.

Just be aware is all. No way to protect your laptop and stay within these laws it seems. Choose which ever you think is best for you.

Understand. A few years back I had my Jeep Wrangler torn apart by the Canadian police at the border. I had a habit (which I no longer have) of hiding some travel cash under the rug. The guy saw the corner of 1 bill and that was it, get the dog, rip the Jeep apart, and take a seat for a long conversation.

Please people don't think that a big box store, Sentry safe will do anything other than keep honest people out. The latches are thin metal and attached to plastic. No exaggeration, a thief can open one of those in a couple of seconds. They will absolutely not protect your valuables under any circumstance other than if it is hidden where it can't be found.

Protecting valuables requires a security safe. All can be broken into, its just a matter of how hard you want to make it for the thief, ie; how long to get in and what tools are required to do the job. True security safes are far to big and heavy for a vehicle.

The only relatively secure store bought solutions I've found are mainly for guns and typically go under the seat, but sizes may not work for a laptop. If storage security is needed, perhaps a custom built steel welded box might be worth looking into. I'm thinking of making one myself for my laptop.

noted. I'm beginning to think that just hiding it under my towels is best.

Plant said:
...a thief can open one of those in a couple of seconds.
Or they'll just steal the vehicle and deal with any locked compartments later, at their leisure. 
We're pretty much defenseless against pros. But we're much more likely to be hit by amateurs with only basic skills and knowledge who'd much rather do a smash and grab than break into a van, search around for something that might or might not be there, then break into a safe or whatever.

mpruet said:
 I also have a small foldable portable solar panel that I can also carry in my backpack to recharge my iPad.

I used to do that for my laptop when I went backpacking or kayaking, but then everyone started having their own proprietary charging tips that wouldn't fit my portable battery, so I stopped using it.

Encrpt and backup the drive...hide under stuff so harder to find...try not to over worry about theft.

Great advise, RVTravel. Doing those two things limits a theft to just money and inconvenience. No fears of losing data or potentially worse, data in the wrong hands.

Build a false bottom or back in a cabinet or even inside a drawer with a hidden magnet activated lock on it. Do not keep the magnet near the hidden drawer, you don't want it to be that obvious.

Rev a Lock is one brand that you can buy from cabinet hardware sources. They show one of those locks being used in this commercially produced night stand in the video link below. You can make something similar for yourself. It does not have to be a slide out top like in the video although that one is certainly clever and convenient to use as well.

Most folks know nothing about these magnetic locks as they don't do cabinet making themselves. Also most cabinet companies don't install them. Primary use of them is for some parents installing them to keep young children out of drawers with knives and such in them. But those people are not your typical car prowlers.