laminate flooring over carpet.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB1954

Reaction score
I bought an old conversion van. It has red interior and carpet. I was thinking about leaving the old carpet in as padding and insulation. Then putting in a floating laminate wood floor over it. The parts where it would be difficult to put flooring, like the back of the side step, it would remain carpet, (might try to dye the carpet something other than red as well). Anyone bleach and dye carpet? 

My question is has anyone put wood flooring over carpet? I am thinking the carpet may have too much flex, but with the wood flooring interlocking, I don't know what the actual pounds per square inch would be with 200 lbs stepping on it. I could buy a box put them together in a section and try it.

Nah take the carpet out. The underlayment that goes under that flooring is much thinner than carpet.

Yeah, that'd be nothing but problems. Only reason to leave the carpet would be if someone said they were physically unable to manage it...in which case I'd suggest 1/2" plywood, secured at edges...

I have to agree with the others, I think the carpet will have too much play for the floor, so it will always be stressing the laminate flooring joints, causing them to fail after a short amount of time.

Ok, carpet comes out. I think now I might go with cork floors. I have a dog and think she can get a bit more traction with that instead of wood.

DannyB1954 said:
Ok, carpet comes out. I think now I might go with cork floors. I have a dog and think she can get a bit more traction with that instead of wood.

My vinyl laminate has a texture to it. Enough that a dog would have no problem getting a grip. If it's still too slippery, toss some small area rugs down for him that can be thrown in the laundry.

I had wood laminate laid in the last apartment I was in. It fixed the problem of the nasty carpet that was in the living room previously but I had to go out the next day and buy an area rug so that the dog could walk across the living room without slipping all over the place... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pretty much any sort of cork or vinyl laminale that is soft enough for the dog to get traction will be soft enough to get damaged very easily.

Probably one of your best bets after removing the carpet is engineered hardwood. It's incredibly strong, can be gotten in a water resistant finish and it's tough enough to mount very light things to it rather than having to sink a bolt through the floor.

I think anything that isn't carpet is likely too slippery for the dog...I often solve that problem with an even layer of crap on the floor like the picnic blanket by the door & my robe by the bed. *smile*

Tiny Timex doesn't shed...she has me both trained to do her bidding & spoiled, she is too cute!

Someone my brother knows tried that, and the laminate wouldn't tolerate the flexing when walked on. Also, regular laminate doesn't tolerate much water.

My brother also installed laminate in his motorhome, and tracking in dirt and sand wore it down like sandpaper.

None of this makes laminate sound very promising for the locations that van dwellers tend to live in.

I don't like laminate for all the reasons mentioned. the actual finish laminate is super thin a wears easily and water is your enemy. if you want a wood floor get real wood. much more robust and how much do you actually need to cover your floor? highdesertranger

I don't remember where I saw it -- maybe here. Or not. But one guy cut some plywood to fit the floor of his van, then he scorched it with a torch, then he rubbed (sanded?) all the loose stuff off, and gave it several coats of Varathane (or something). It actually looked pretty good.

Here's the charring technique, but I can't find the site where the guy did it to plywood.

This dimwit appears to be doing this indoors -- I wouldn't suggest that.

The  wood preservation technique  of charring and wirebrushing, was adapted from the Japanese traditional wood preservation technique Shou Sugi Ban and is shown in this video:

[video=youtube]

This video might be the best 26 minutes i ever spent watching you tube.

I have been working on the mechanicals and paint. Interior will be next. Here are some before and afters. I still want to do more with the paint, (like two tone).

DSC01583b.jpg    DSC01597b.jpg  DSC01585b.jpg DSC01598b.jpg

Left click on the pics for a larger view.

Attachments

• DSC01583b.jpg
    DSC01583b.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01597b.jpg
    DSC01597b.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01585b.jpg
    DSC01585b.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01598b.jpg
    DSC01598b.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 17
I think it looks great as a solid color. did you paint it yourself. I need to repaint my truck. highdesertranger

We put down the interlocking foam pads over carpet. It is warm on the feet and comfortable if you have to crawl on it. Our floor is pretty small.

highdesertranger said:
I think it looks great as a solid color.  did you paint it yourself.  I need to repaint my truck.  highdesertranger

I shot it with Rustoleum Hammered silver. I chose it because it must be some pretty sticky stuff. The can says no primer necessary. I had bare spots where the paint had flaked off the galvanised metal. I treated the bare metal with phosphoric acid, (Home Depot Paint Department). I thinned the paint with xylene. 
[size=small]After you paint something the imperfections show up, so I was thinking about doing the body putty and shooting the whole thing again in two or three tone. Black hammered tone bottom panel, dark grey hammered center panel, (made from mixing black with the silver), and silver for everything above waist level.

I could come back to the paint after it has hardened some more and start on the interior. I also have a maxxair fan to install.

After thinking about the paint sceme, how do you think black would look on the top to hide the windows, then dark silver for the bottom?