Carpet replace with linoleum tiles?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->
I've a '95 class C, 22ft, all in good condition but tired of the old carpet, thinking of linoleum tiles at least in front of sink and fridge area, and maybe bathroom.  Easier to clean but mostly want area looking nicer, lighter, less aged.
Appreciate anyone with experience removing such carpet telling me what am likely to find. And any reason to consider carpet tiles instead of linoleum tiles? Or some other option I'm not aware of.
Main question, could I expect it all to be level enough that I'd not have to use a power grinder to further smooth the floor? Would have to rent one at that, and the thought of so much dust nixes the idea. Am assuming I'll only find a flat wood floor underneath with a thin layer of glue to clear off, but just checking here to learn of any surprises I ought to be aware of. Thanks for any thoughts.

^^^ rusty staples and don't be surprised if you find some water stains and damage. Those tiles over time usually develop gaps and move somewhat especially in the hot desert. I think I might be tempted to coat it with fiberglass resin and cover that with a removeable piece of carpet or maybe just paint it with some outdoor porch paint and a throw rug if you are not prone to tripping and falling.

I only remove the carpet in my conversion van and it wasn’t too hard. I have no experience with tiles. I have always avoided flooring products that have seams. I figure liquids will find Their way in. Of course in my conversion van it’s much smaller than yours but I used vinyl flooring. I like the quality and look of the newer vinyl floors and the fact that they don’t have seams. Not telling you what to do just telling you what I did. Good luck.

Yep the tiles will expand and shrink with temp and humidity changes then come loose. If you want linoleum much better to use one solid piece. Highdesertranger

I have pulled the carpet from my Class C's house. 32 years of dust, and whatever, gone in about five minutes. Next would be to rip the carpeting out of the cab area.

Staples are easy to remove with a flat screwdriver and pliers.

Regular subflooring underneath, no need to improve on that in my case. Your rig may differ.

Just today, I was trying to "nail down" what to lay down over the subflooring.

I was hoping for something to cover 5.5' x 6.5' in one sheet, but that doesn't seem to be available commercially off the shelf.

Thank you all for your thoughts!, am more clear.  First step will be to fold back a small carpet area under the table, the most out of sight/unused spot there is, to actually see what's underneath and how smooth/rough it is, then glue that flap back down.  That should determine the next step if any.  Nothing has to be done, carpet is no worse from wear than the rest of the rv, just have an itch to spruce up my home a bit but only if confident it will be a long term quality step.

Thanks Wayne.  Can tell you're a more experienced diy-er than me, expect you already know your options, but fwiw I noticed Home Depot will cut vinyl flooring sheets to size.  And if those are wider to start with than you want, maybe they have remnants or can tell you who else in your area might have them.  Actually, this idea has me looking on Amazon for first time, and they have vinyl floor sheeting too.
Just today, I was trying to "nail down" what to lay down over the subflooring.

I was hoping for something to cover 5.5' x 6.5' in one sheet, but that doesn't seem to be available commercially off the shelf.