Lake Havasu City

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
Though I'm sure that Havasu has been mentioned in numerous threads, I did not locate a thread specifically on the topic of this town.  So, I started one.

My interest in doing so is to learn what people think about the place.  Sure, Google.  And I've done that.  But firsthand accounts really help.

Is it life in a frying pan or livable?

Are there so many tourists that normal life is impossible?  Like Disney World -- nice place to visit, but would never want to live there?  What I've read and the photos I've seen of "spring break" gives me the willies.

Are you a social pariah if not over 65 and on a pension?

Suitable for a meet-up, but not for living, or an OK place to call home?

Good points.  Bad points.

Loose the hounds!

Vagabound

Ive only passed through there in the winters, and it was fine. Some big-box stores as well as a small-town feel (in some places) and tons of easy boonocking just outside of town. I would not want to be there during the summer months though

I don't know a lot about Havasu, I by pass it. one thing I do know it's hotter than hell is the summer. it's still pretty warm there it's supposed to be 95 there today. highdesertranger

Friend of mine comes from there and from the stories he tells, working in the trades there is absolutely awful much of the year... sounds a lot like what my dad described working in the steel mills was like...

We spent the last two weeks of December at Cottonwood Cove State Park just south of town last year. They had special reduced rates just before their winter season started but still had really nice hot showers, electricity, and water. It was cool enough at night we used a ceramic heater but great during the day. We also stayed on BLM land across from Walmart on the way back to Utah in the last of March. Looked like you could work seasonally and have good weather four months of the year as Walmart and Home Depot are within two miles from the BLM lands. My neighbor worked through the summer at one of the campgrounds after working here in Utah in summer and said it was hotter than here. It gets 110 degrees here for a few weeks of the year, just saying.

We spent a month there last winter and absolutely loved it. Too many people in the city but you don't have to go into the city itself to get what you need. Folks around the blm land were friendly enough. The hiking opportunities are good.
Not knowing any specifics of what you're looking for, i can only say we'll be going back.
To answer your age question, we are under 65 by quite a bit and didn't feel that age was an issue for anybody.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Besides the BLM area north of town, there is BLM south of town as well. It's closer to the highway and much is an OHV area.

Havasu and Bullhead City are very windy, year round. They're both VERY hot in the summer. Frequently the highest temperatures in AZ

It's a long, narrow city with lots of traffic lights that seem to be timed to make you stop at each one. The town caters to the boating crowd. Campers are sort of an afterthought. But it has just about any kind of store you'd want.

Craggy Wash, just north of the airport, is the main boondocking place. There's an area in the wash where a lot of RVs gather, either because they don't want to drive farther up the canyon or because they love social contact. There are spots farther up the canyon that are more secluded, with fewer generators going, but even then you'll have people coming through hoping to find campsites, or ATV people out just driving around, kicking up dust.

There's a mesa north of craggy wash that is populated almost exclusively by large RVs. Not my kind of place.

I've stayed in LHC twice. The only reason I went the second time was to spend time with friends. Otherwise...

I was in Havasu years ago when it hit 124. The beaches were shut down cuz people would not get out of the water to go to the restrooms and screwed the water quality.

We are in Havasu...just left Laughlin this morning so we could get to water. Nice park (parked under tree) just feet from a wonderful sandy beach. Yes, supposed to be in the 90s about another week but we have lots of shade material and the river close to where we will camp. Being from S. Az, heat is nothing new.

By Nov 1...for the build out party, it should be pretty nice here.

I like Havasu but have no desire to live here.

TMG51 said:
I've enjoyed Havasu city

.... Posted too quick and can't edit on mobile...

I've enjoyed Havasu City. Spent nights parked on the lake with my wheels feet from the water. Great views. The locals do have attitudes towards traveler/RV/van types. But it didn't bother me or stop me from meeting lovely people over drinks.

Two pictures attached. One of the view and one of a girl I found by the lake sitting atop my van drinking a beer with me.

Good place.

Attachments

• IMG_20160208_120515.jpg
    IMG_20160208_120515.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2016-10-10-19-42-32.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-10-19-42-32.png
    554.3 KB · Views: 24
Sabatical said:
Not knowing any specifics of what you're looking for ...

We have that in common.  I don't know either. ;-)  Just investigating likely useful places within a region.

To answer your age question, we are under 65 by quite a bit and didn't feel that age was an issue for anybody.

I didn't anticipate any real problems, but had associated LHC with retirees, and so much so, that I wondered if anyone not in that category sticks out like a sore thumb.

Good, useful comments from everyone so far.  Thanks.

Vagabound

I use Lake Havasu City each year as a stop over on my way here or there and I go for a few days for the fireworks festival that is great. I stay on BLM land north of town. By the end of March it is no longer I place I want to hang out as it gets too hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have a In~N~Out Burger.  That makes up for a lot.

They also have the London Bridge.

Attachments

• london bridge.jpg
    london bridge.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 10
(Richard)  If sharing my stupidity contributes any food for thought to the benefit of other pets then I'll gladly eat crow in this public forum to that end.

I might say "experience", but regardless, your contribution was heartfelt and worth considering.  What comes to mind, other than being glad for your dog and being careful, is the difference in high temps between July (near 110F) and November (80F).

(GotSmart)  They have a In~N~Out Burger.  That makes up for a lot.

Now you're talking!

Vagabound