Lake Como Campground - Blanca, Colorado - Great Sand Dunes National Park

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipaaron

Reaction score
Camp Ground:
Lake Como Road
Blanca, Colorado
GPS: 37.526985, -105.593536
Elevation: 7680'

Road: Dirt to extremely rocky as you travel further down the road. Eventually you'll likely need a 4x4

I spent about 5 days out near the Great Sand Dunes National Park last week and had a great time. I really loved it out there and can't wait to get back. The camp ground is easy to find, right off of 150 and is a dirt road that gets progressively rockier as you go further down the road. You can reach the first three camp spots in about any vehicle. After that and it gets more intense as you go.

The camp sites are a cleared out area right off the road with a fire wring and are easy to spot. First come first serve and they are 100% FREE. There is no shade, water, bathrooms, or other services so be prepared. It's very quiet and from the second camp site you can only barely here big rigs driving down 150. As you go to further camp sites you can no longer hear anything but nature.

There is a hike to lake Como further up the road, which I did not partake in. There are several roads that branch off the main camp ground road that you can explore. However, no immediate "trails" to hike on. The Great Sand Dunes National Park is just right down the road and makes for a good free campground if your visiting the park.

During the week I saw only two other RVs camped out and maybe 5 - 7 cars travel the road during the day. On the weekend I counted about 6 campers as far as I could see. Not bad all in all. Highly recommend this spot.

The park is open 24/7 and you can reach the dunes in the middle of the night and I highly recommend it. The skies are dark so the night sky is littered with beautiful stars. There is a town about 30mi away so in a pinch you can get to a walmart and get what you need.

Thank you. Will have to check it out next time as we are there right now but at Pinion first come first served campground. Moving off tomorrow towards Marshall Pass to hunker down until after the holiday. It is $10 a night for us, not bad and fairly quiet since big rigs cannot get in. Being 100% self contained we do BLM and National Forests lands 99% of the time but had not seen your post. Very windy these past couple of days!

Latest posts