ladder rack for solar panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy Tires

Reaction score
I have a 2016 GMC Savanna cargo van and I need recommendations for what ladder rack would be best for solar panels. Also where to buy it. I have seen lots of them online with wide ranging prices, but I am uncomfortable buying without seeing it unless someone can recommend a certain one.  I would appreciate anyone who can help. Currently I have one Renogy 200 watt panel and plan to add one more eventually.

I use a ladder rack to hold my 4 panels.I built a frame out of PT 2x4 s,ran a 1 1/2 in groove down the top edge to recess the panels.I cut notches where the frame sits on the rack and ran 1/4 inch bolts thru the rack and frame.When I get home from a trip,we just remove the bolts and set the frame and panels off together.It's fast and easy to re-mount when I'm ready to leave again.Good luck.

I would avoid ones with aluminum mounting plates. I had one from Vantech and one of the mounting plates broke, probably from the vibration of unpaved roads. The one I have now is all steel and I like it because the cross bars are rectangular instead of round. That makes it easier to mount the panel. Ladder racks often have a maximum load designation. Solar panels are light enough that you probably wouldn't need heavier duty racks, but it couldn't hurt. Oh, and you have a choice or two or three cross bars. If you get three, the mounting plates on one of them should be a little shorter to compensate for the middle (from to back) of the roof and rain gutters being slightly higher.

Thanks for the information. I drive on lots of bumpy roads so the steel makes sense.

bigskybob said:
I use a ladder rack to hold my 4 panels.I built a frame out of PT 2x4 s,ran a 1 1/2 in groove down the top edge to recess the panels.I cut notches where the frame sits on the rack and ran 1/4 inch bolts thru the rack and frame.When I get home from a trip,we just remove the bolts and set the frame and panels off together.It's fast and easy to re-mount when I'm ready to leave again.Good luck.

Thanks bigskybob, useful information.

whole top.jpgMine works fine!

front panels.jpg

20150215_164910.jpg

Attachments

• whole top.jpg
    whole top.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 11
  • front panels.jpg
    front panels.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20150215_164910.jpg