Lacto-fermenting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausmutti

Reaction score
About a year ago there was a thread going concerning lacto-fermenting.  I make kraut, kefir, and pickles regularly and keep them in the refrigerator after they are done fermenting.  What are your experiences with little refrigeration space and unreliable temperatures, especially in the desert?

Keeping at a constant temperature is best. Bury the crock as do the Koreans. The fermentation will gradually cause vegetables to soften into mush. I also refrigerate when at my preferred "done-ness".

hausmutti said:
About a year ago there was a thread going concerning lacto-fermenting.  I make kraut, kefir, and pickles regularly and keep them in the refrigerator after they are done fermenting.  What are your experiences with little refrigeration space and unreliable temperatures, especially in the desert?

I guess if you were in one place for 14 days, that would work.  I wonder if I could dig a hole deep enough LOL   I do mine on the counter with fermentation lids.

At home, I ferment in Ball Jars wrapped in a blanket in a cooler.  Then the fridge when done.  If done in smaller batches, should work as long as there wasn't to big of temp. swings.

acfdexpo said:
At home, I ferment in Ball Jars wrapped in a blanket in a cooler.  Then the fridge when done.  If done in smaller batches, should work as long as there wasn't to big of temp. swings.

You know, I think about the gypsies and sheep herders who lived in the wagons and wonder how they kept theirs.