Kitty Litter On The Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting to read your post doug, because I was just wondering if with this Bokashi system, I'd been "taken" once again since it has "proprietary" ingredients. (i.e., did I really pay that much for a couple containers, and what looks like apple cider vinegar and sawdust?) Though, it's here, and I set up the litter box and will see how it goes...one step at a time.
So while camping, people pick up after their pets too like they're supposed to in the city and suburbs, and place it the trash receptacles to be sent to landfills or incinerators?

Not all do and even those that do, not all the time! But they should.

Let's face it, if you're out in the bush or the desert and the dog poops on the trail then it needs to be picked up and at least thrown off trail (no bag pleeeease) in to the bush. If the dog heads out in to the bush and does his/her business then no need to go to try to identify it amongst deer/moose/coyote poop.

Inside a campsite, whether it's boondocking or front country campground, then yes, pick the darn stuff up. The campsite needs to be thought of as your home, however temporary that may be. And there's always going to be a next 'tenant' who doesn't want to have to deal with your mess, no matter the source.

TrainChaser, I'd been meaning to thank you for taking the time to find and post the link to the recipes (and other helpful info!).
My cat finally used the top entry litter box instead of the toilet, which added to my work schedule...sigh...I'd been pretty spoiled! ...though I feel good doing my environmental part.

I had previously posted the following on another thread.

I had to suspend the Bokashi Fermentation experiment (composting cat feces). I couldn't keep up with the litter box upkeep (I don't know how people do it!). I was planning to shred the paper clutter in the house and convert it to litter, and hadn't even started that project. So for now, she continues to use the toilet until I can catch up.

I disagree that the anaerobic process is odor-free. It has a distinctive odor that I find nauseating. Though, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

My turn came up at the library for the Humanure Handbook; and I'm learning lots. (Wow...are we making a mess of our planet!)

any chance you have a link to that book?

compassrose said:
That is why the next cat got toilet trained. I bought a book off Amazon that said how to train the cat in 30 days.

Patrick46 said:
x2

don't forget...

you're the human, and you're in control (or should be!!)

FYI pissing on a cat works wonders.

And then I had to settle for a super soaker when store ran out of squirt guns.

Great training tools, both!

Patrick46: "don't forget... you're the human, and you're in control"

Obviously from someone who has never had a cat...

Cats Rule
Dogs Drool
Humans Don't Have a Clue

Canine said:
Dogs have a pill thingy you can give them to make their poo taste yucky.

Wait a minute. To make it taste bad? You mean it tastes GOOD? How much worse can poo taste? LOL

Chitza said:
"... You mean it tastes GOOD? ..."

Someone told me that most commercial pet foods purposely contain ingredients that are addictive. If that's true, then that's probably why the dogs "think it's a delicacy."

However, once it's Bokashi fermented, I'm pretty sure the dogs will not be interested. So far, no animal has been interested in the Bokashi fermented cat stuff.

"To make it taste bad? You mean it tastes GOOD? How much worse can poo taste?"

Dogs are not usually known for having a discriminating palate.

Gregg said:
"... how do you keep the dogs from beating you to the cat poop? ..."

It just occurred to me that even with fermentation, you still have to be faster than the dogs.

TrainChaser said:
Dogs are not usually known for having a discriminating palate.

I guess this means that even if Gregg was able to be faster and to ferment it, the dogs would still go for the pickled stuff? ... really?
In that case, I hope you're using the food-based (e.g., wheat, corn, etc.) litter.
Actually if it's safe for the dogs, seems like a time-effective way to compost the stuff!

Gardenias: "Actually if it's safe for the dogs, seems like a time-effective way to compost the stuff!"

Well, it does take care of the cat waste disposal, but sometimes it comes back up in an inconvenient place.