Kitty Litter On The Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we hit the road in a month in our camper, we will have two little dogs and at least one cat (depending on how many we can re-home) with us. How do you all deal with a litter box on the road. For those of you who have both cats and dogs, how do you keep the dogs from beating you to the cat poop? My dogs think it's a delicacy.

All advice appreciated...

Thanks ..... Gregg

Keep the dogs. Sounds like they are problem solvers ;-)

Sorry, I'm really of no help other than when I had a cat and dog, I kept the cat box in the shower and kept the bath door latched 4" open with a 6" gate hook.

hahaha what are you saying Karl, with the dogs you will never have to clean the litter box? highdesertranger

I took a couple plastic tubs and cut a hole in one end for the cat to enter by.  A  lid on top means you can use that space over it for the laundry hamper.  Tidy Cat in the plastic buckets works best for traveling.   I would use`a squirt gun and MASTER voice to train dogs to stay out.

GotSmart said:
I took a couple plastic tubs and cut a hole in one end for the cat to enter by.  A  lid on top means you can use that space over it for the laundry hamper.  Tidy Cat in the plastic buckets works best for traveling.   I would use`a squirt gun and MASTER voice to train dogs to stay out.

Ditto on the Tidy Cat and the plastic tub lidded litter boxes.No dog but with 4 cats very easy to keep clean and access.Um; access for the cats that is :D

gramakittycat said:
Ditto on the Tidy Cat and the plastic tub lidded litter boxes.No dog but with 4 cats very easy to keep clean and access.Um; access for the cats that is :D

We recently adopted a "rehomed" kitten.  1/2 siamese and paws like a St Bernard.  This critter had to be shown that he needed to turn around and face out of the cat box~~~ :mad:  I wish I had that energy.

I've seen videos where people cut an access hole thru to a storage compartment in their RV (with or without installing a cat door).  That would keep the litter away from the dogs and let you clean/change the litter from the outside.  
It seemed pretty slick.

I taught my last cat to use the RV toilet. I installed a pet door in the bathroom door so she could go in as needed. Previous cat had a litter box. It was turned around facing a wall to where the dog couldn't get at it. It was a hassle. That is why the next cat got toilet trained. I bought a book off Amazon that said how to train the cat in 30 days.

I've also trained a cat to use the toilet. It is awesome! What a huge convenience not to change the litter.

When I had a cat, I used wood pellets for a pellet stove. Pellets are cheap, decompose well, and lighter than clay. It also did the best at cutting odor. Clay will track and smear when wet and that is hard to clean. The sawdust from pellets is easier to clean and doesn't track quite as much as clay. It isn't dusty, either.

Dogs have a pill thingy you can give them to make their poo taste yucky. Perhaps cats have a similar thing and that would help? It isn't always effective, though. The allure of cat dooky is hard for dogs to resist.

Canine said:
I've also trained a cat to use the toilet.  ...
When I had a cat, I used wood pellets for a pellet stove. Pellets are cheap, decompose well, and lighter than clay. It also did the best at cutting odor. .... The sawdust from pellets is easier to clean and doesn't track quite as much as clay. It isn't dusty, either. ...

My cat is toilet-trained too. I thought I would have to retrain to use a top-entering litter box to fit in the car. So the cat used your toilet container too?

Before you leave home, use hot sauce on the cat poop. OUTDOORS, as sometimes it comes back up.

If you change from cat litter to pellets, get the smallest pellets you can find, and gradually change over from one to the other, mixing in more pellets. They do control odor better than clay, but some cats object to using them if you make the change abruptly. And they decompose when wet, if that is an issue.

I'm about to (reluctantly) retrain my cat to use a litter box since I won't have a toilet.
I bought a Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan that (hopefully) fits somewhere in the car.
Also, I purchased a Bokashi Pet Cycle Fermentation System.
After watching Bob's videos, I'm learning to have an even smaller carbon footprint. Though, I'm concerned that these items will take up lots of space! :s

Gregg said:
When we hit the road in a month in our camper, we will have two little dogs and at least one cat (depending on how many we can re-home) with us.  How do you all deal with a litter box on the road.  For those of you who have both cats and dogs, how do you keep the dogs from beating you to the cat poop?  My dogs think it's a delicacy.

All advice appreciated...

Thanks ..... Gregg

Our dog also loves Almond Roca!!  :p

LOL...thanks a lot PattySprinter...I used to like Almond Roca...hmm...  :-/

abnorm said:
In the car ?...............WHY ?

Are you composting your own waste ?

After watching one of Bob's videos on human waste, I went down the rabbit hole reading about the different ways and means of composting both human and cat waste.
Way back while toilet training cats, I read that California prohibits flushing cat waste down the toilet, though never looked into or thought about why; and now I know that it's due to the particular pathogens found in the feces of cats.
The Bokashi fermentation system uses an anaerobic process with two buckets. After one is filled, it takes a week to ferment and the results can then be safely mixed with dirt.
I'm going to see how it goes with the cat waste, then decide if I can do it with human waste; though I'm not sure how. I'm trying this Bokashi system since I can't haul a composting toilet around in a car. I'm hoping this is a possible solution.

Has anyone used the cedar shavings as litter? Seems really light (and you could possibly use it in a bucket for a human toilet?) I recently bought a sifter type litter box from Walmart. Works okay, but the urine sometimes sticks a little so you need a litter box scooper still.

Gardenias said:
I'm trying this Bokashi system ........... I'm hoping this is a possible solution.

What are you going to do with the resulting "compost".........It's OK to place that in your own yard on ornamentals .........but often illegal to dump on public property

doug

Latest posts