KIDS at RTR?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotSpringsCyclist

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

Is anyone planning on bringing their kids to the RTR? Or staying full- or part-time with the caravans?  We are hitting the road in January for warmer skies!  Spokane, Washington is just not my jive that time of year, and the work is abysmal.  We will be working our way down south via

I-90 to Missoula
Goldbug Hotsprings
Barney Warmsprings
Lava Hotsprings
Shoshone Falls
Craters of the Moon would be neat, but boooo it's closed that time of year, we found out last year!
Basically, any hot spring along the way (I'm sure you're beginning to see the pattern here!)

We are coming with mountain bikes and fully self-sufficient.  I was hoping to meet some other women with boys about mine's age (10 & 11).  They are in online school.  I love to bake cinnamon rolls, and am looking to find a way to do this on the road!  Maybe make a little mini-food truck so we can make money wherever we go.  Of course, it's more about making smiles!  I make amazing cinnamon rolls!

Hi there, I'm looking forward to finding your food truck, in case you create one. I live near you in North Idaho. I'm not leaving for RTR until . . . probably after Christmas. I'm 66 and all my children are adults. Also, I homeschooled my two youngest... a great way for children to grow up, I believe.

There are more hot springs along the eastern side of the Sierras. Tectonic faults and all that.

I've seen kids at RTR but I don't know how much fun they have.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, there are a number of kids at the RTR, not great numbers but enough for yours to make friends with.

I worked art and craft shows up and down the eastern seaboard for 14 years so I know a little bit about food vending from spending time with them.

Traveling out of state or even out of county with a food truck can be problematic because of having to have food vendor licenses from each different jurisdiction. Most of the food vendors worked different shows each weekend within their own one or two counties rather than travelling around the entire show circuit.

Not saying it can't be done but the paperwork and licensing costs can be prohibitive. You might be better off thinking in terms of two seasons - north and south and working on a smaller zone than all over the map! Of course 4 good months of sales can be followed by a couple of months of travelling too!

I'm sure you'll work out something that will fit all your needs!

You might consider working for or selling through some of the established seasonal food vendors at Quartsite.

Sounds like a wonderful fun adventure on your travels to the RTR!!
can't help on kids and RTR but good thing is kids find ways to entertain themselves, which is a good thing :) safe travels!

Hello and welcome HotSpringsCyclist! Well, my husband and I are planning to make it to the RTR, with our 10 (11 in December) year old son (!!) Also bringing bikes with us, and also homeschooling him! Exciting times will be had :D

travelaround said:
Hi there, I'm looking forward to finding your food truck, in case you create one. I live near you in North Idaho. I'm not leaving for RTR until . . . probably after Christmas. I'm 66 and all my children are adults. Also, I homeschooled my two youngest... a great way for children to grow up, I believe.

Fantastic!  The smells will give it away!  It IS a fantastic way for kids to grow up, I agree!

mrsNomadicHacker said:
Hello and welcome HotSpringsCyclist! Well, my husband and I are planning to make it to the RTR, with our 10 (11 in December) year old son (!!) Also bringing bikes with us, and also homeschooling him! Exciting times will be had :D

Yahoo!!!

Thanks everyone for your additions to the conversation! Look forward to seeing y'all at the RTR!

Latest posts