kerosene stoves

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simran

Reaction score
This first stove is an Aladdin Tropic. It is one of the smallest kerosene heater you can find. They are not made any more and there are few around in decent shape. It would be to big for a van except in below zero temps . . .way below.
The next one is what is called a brooder heater. I bought it on eBay without the chimney. These are old enough that the chimneys are hard to find as they mostly rusted out. I made a chimney out of 2.5" stove pipe. These smaller stoves work well and get pretty hot too. They work best and don't smell nearly as bad if you fuel them with mineral spirits. This little rascal gets hot so if you choose to use a heater of this style make sure you have plenty of room around it as to not start a fire.
If you experiment with any of these type heaters make sure to do it out of doors until you get comfortable with how they operate. beware; these stoves will start stuff on fire without the proper clearance.

For some reason I can't attach the pics I'll have to do it later.:huh:

I think I've got it now:blush: it says the files are not valid. Never had that happen before.:huh: can't do it!

I have read that Kerosene stoves/heaters are much more toxic than propane.

Please be careful.

Here is the stove I am currently heating the bus with. It is unique in that it is circular shape but designed to st agaist a wall; making it ideal for an RV or bus. This type stove is unsuitable for a van except in the coldest weather.
Kerosene gets a bad rap because it smells if not handled properly & if stoves are not maintained properly. I never fuel the stove in the bus nor do I start or shut down the stove in the bus. I always do those things outside. Proper care must be given to the wick on ocassion as they need trimming if not burning correctly. Following these guidelines will allow one to use kerosene cleanly & efficiently day in and day out.
Like any unvented fossil fuel heater they need a little ventilation to allow for safety.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s44.photobucket.com/user/yapchagi/embed/slideshow/Mobile Uploads"></iframe>

Unity Gain said:
I have read that Kerosene stoves/heaters are much more toxic than propane.

Please be careful.

When comparing catalytic and combustion heaters, bear in mind that catalysis is a very different process than combustion, and yields FAR less in the way of toxic fumes. Kerosene, being straight combustion, strikes me as something that would work best if a chimney of some sort could be fabricated. Same deal with diesel heaters.

At the end it says and remember: Always ventilate when using any fossil fuel

Kerosene heaters get a bad rap because no one wants to take the time to do the maint. on them. Don't take my word for it. Do yourself a favor an go to Miles Stair's web site and do a little due dilligence. Those of you that live in something large enough to use a kero heater should check it out. If you live where you NEED heat in winter would save an enormous amount of money and headaches heating with kero if you were willing to do a little maint. on the heater & wick once in a while. Don't believe what I say or any one else. The web is full of mis information by people that heard this or that and pass it along as gospel. Study!,!
Living in the north country with a bus would not be feasible heating it with propane unless I had someone set in at least a 250 gallon propane tank. I'd be changing out 100lb. propane bottles way to often for my liking. Kero gives you way more BTU's per gallon.

Kerosene weighs in @ 135000 BTU's per gallon and propane is only rated @ 91800.
Last winter I was paying $20 for 20lb cylinder of propane that equates to 4.7 gallons or about 4 dollars per gallon. I can buy jet A kerosene fuel for 4.50 or $4.75 which burns extremely clean in a kero heater. Way more bang for the buck.
The real savings is in the storage and time spent filling propane tanks.
If I was in a van I would probably be using propane as there just isn't a good solution in the US for small kerosene heaters. There ARE some options across the pond though.
Most of the newer style kero heaters are equipped with a catalytic converter which makes them burn extremely clean.
Educate yourselves about kero heaters before running them down. That's all I ask.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/kerosene_heaters.html I'm not big on the end of times hhooey but it doesn't make the info. Any less valid.

And remember :

I live in Idaho, we have dry bitter cold -15 and below in January. Im building a stealth 7x14 utility camper. This is interesting reading. Subbed!

"--- produces carbon monoxide (a poisonous gas), nitrogen dioxide (which may cause throat and lung irritation), and sulfur dioxide (which can impair breathing)

As far as I am aware propane heaters such as the Olympian Wave does not produce nitrogen dioxide or sulphur dioxide.

Food for thought?

hence my ventilation warning on every post. Besides ya gotta die from something. Any way I think there is enough information for anyone interested to make an informed decision about how to heat their rig. Propane prices have proven to be unreliable and the BTU's per gallon just aren't that good. Kerosene IS another viable option for some of us. Here's a link from last year https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=6460 Nuff said!

Unity Gain said:
"--- produces carbon monoxide (a poisonous gas), nitrogen dioxide (which may cause throat and lung irritation), and sulfur dioxide (which can impair breathing)

As far as I am aware propane heaters such as the Olympian Wave does not produce nitrogen dioxide or sulphur dioxide.

Food for thought?

Wasn't trying to "run down" kerosene, just pointing out the differences between a catalytic and combustion heater. I've got no beef with kerosene.

Do you have any issues with soot? In the past I've had soot problems from candles, even, so I imagine it could be a possibility.

With these newer type heaters with catalytic converters there is no discernable soot unless there are adjustments that need to be made or they need a new wick. With the proper fuel you cannot smell anything. That being said; ventilation is still necessary.

I too have nothing against kero. but around here I get propane for between 2.50-3.00/gal and kero where you can find it approaches 10.00/gal. I do realize you can sub in diesel but right know diesel is about 3.75/gal. hell if you are in a bus why not have a wood stove. I have seen a lot of those especially in Alaska. remember wood is renewable. highdesertranger

The prices I quoted above are the prices for Jet A jet fuel which is a more refined kerosene and can be bought by the 5 gallon can from most FBO's at airports & the propane prices I was paying mid winter last year. You cannot use diesel in a kero stove in a dwelling; not realistically.There are to may impurities.
Oh how I'd love to burn wood in the bus but my location doesn't warrant it. I am on the plains of South Dakota where there are few trees. Besides I work 50-60 hrs per week in the summer and leave Friday night to go home and don't return until Sunday night. There just isn't time for cutting wood; not if I want to spend time with my family. Not to mention I'd have to leave a fire burning while I was away to keep it warm in here. I'd just as soon not do that.
For me kero was the most obvious choice both for convenience & from an economic standpoint. I've thought this through from about every angle. I initially wanted to put a fuel oil burner in here and just tap it into the fuel tank on the bus. That would have been convenient right? I found a small one, bought it and tried it out. It smelled and took up to much room in here; that was when I began the kero experiment and that is what I'll stick with.

There is a big difference between "water white" kerosene, #1 kerosene, and #2 kerosene, #2 is what is used to form diesel fuel. Never burn any thing but water white in an unventilated heater.

When I was using kero, at the pump it was the same price as diesel fuel. Most stations don't sell water white kero any more.