Kerosene heaters?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1000 kw=3812 btu which is the lowest setting on a 5kw & about 17,000 btu on high 10l on low continuos las 38 hours. I didn't watch the you tubes but you want to turn them to high for a couple minutes before shutting them off to clean the carbon. Ebay has the best price at $116/shipped from Dayton, OH I went with the $130/shipped pkg as it had some extas I wanted plus a digital contrller & a remote so I don't have to get up to adjust it.

Here's a complete unboxing & instation of one that looks exactly like mine except I got dual heat tubes & a digital confrol thermastat with the remote key fob control
This is the controller I got & another install

I know of more people killed by kerosene heaters than by propane heaters. And this is an area with more propane heat than oil.
Any heater that is 'un-vented' including Kero, propane, butane, alcohol, wood coal or any thing else will put moisture into the air.
It takes just one small spill with kerosene and your living area is smelling bad. Bad. One leak with propane the smell dissipates quickly.
Both fuels will be willing to burn you to a Krispy Kritter.

A kerosene lamp might be enough to take the chill off if the night is not too cold and the space not too large. At least you can read by it. But I would not be inclined to leave it burning if I was asleep.

Of course I must state that I have no plans on having one along as I have other heating and lighting options. But I did enjoy having kerosene lamps when I was younger. Maybe it reminded me of my great grandparents house that had no electricity, no running water, outhouse of course, food was cooked on the woodstove and we bathed in tin tub, used washboards for the clothes, churned the butter, milked the cows. I think I was very fortunatel to have experience of that authentic country life when I was very young instead of just reading about it in books. Oh and my great grandmother even made me a sun bonnet that I was expected to wear to keep from getting a sunburn. Great childhood memories, the very best ones :)

Camping comes close and it might be part of why I don't mind the incoveniences that push other people into having luxury RVs.