Kennels in parks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
We travel and like to bring our dog. I want to have him with me 99% of the time. But once in awhile there are things he should not do with me. Hike around wolfs and kayak on a fastish river etc. But sometimes my car/van is to hot/cold or to long for him. He is a strong dog so putting a small portable fence is not an option. Wouldn't it be good to have some rentable kennels at the campground? Something like the lockers at bus stops. Does this sound really off or like something that you might use? Not anything fancy, just something sheltering and secure. Where you would be responsible for food water clean up etc. and any mistreatment would mean a call to animal control or a fine.  I know most towns have doggy daycares, but sometimes where I am is to far from town. Just wondering if I'm the only one.

^
I was thinking something more like a full sized 8' X 10' thing with a shade shelter/space with enough room for those big dogs to be all day There are days that are worth 15 20 bucks for this..

I plan on boondocking but if I were paying for a park to camp the last thing I'd want is to here a yapping dog all day because it misses mommy or daddy & I have 2 german shepards. I'd try to find a place that boards dogs & hire for a day.

that is a campground service. many have dog kennels and more but you just have to be at one that offers it :)
I used an air conditioned kennel one time that was on the grounds cause electricity was sketchy at a campground we were at and I was so scared to leave him in the rv for, like, 5-6 hrs, if that panel tripped! So I put him in their dog day care and paid for this service....lucky it was there in this campground. I also told them my elec. was sketchy but they said someone was in the kennel attending it at all times so that he was watched and handled and any elec. problem would be noticed....so it worked out well.

but all one can do is ask the campground you are at about it and mostly, it would be more a 'legal problem' or something about why they might not incorporate it into their biz.

traveling with any animals is tough when you want out and about without the critters. Mostly we cater our life to fit the dog's situation and it works fine for us that way, sometimes it is like...SCREAM cause it screws us up, most times we don't mind. We can work around anything most times.

I wouldn't leave my dog unattended, in a public place, where the weirdos or do-gooders would have access to her, even through a fence. Those days are over.

Many tourist attractions are installing kennels for just this purpose. So many people who are travelling with their dogs need someplace to leave them for a few hours while they do things that the dogs aren't able to.

Where I work in the summer has just that type of facility. They have both very large kennel spaces and smaller ones so that they can accommodate different needs (2 dogs in a large pen for example). They do need to be pre-arranged with the admissions office but are free of charge. They are situated so that the kennels are always in the shade and you supply your own lock if wanted and food/water bowls and of course, clean up after your pet yourself. The kennels are placed well away from the visitor parking lot so no one but the owners would probably even notice them and certainly would have no reason to be near them.

They're working really well and we've had no bad experiences with them.

Suggest you check with the tourist attraction you wish to visit to see if they have any facilities.