Kelli Kickstarting her New Year, New Life!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelli

Reaction score
Good morning, All,

I'm a newbie and (surprise), I need advice.  I have 1 month to figure out my 1st rig before life gets crazy.  Here's a bit about me:

I will be working/camping in and around Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina for 3 years before venturing out.  I've only bought new cars that I parked while traveling by plane, so I haven't had car troubles in 20 years.  I might sell my 2009 Toyota Camry (40k mi), since I will be leaving my home but it runs like new!  I could pull a Runaway, but I'd rather be inside of 1 vehicle for safety and stealth.

I'm 5'4", 125-lb, so I'd be fine in an old roomy van with good MPG.  It would be a traveling business vehicle and a camper.  It should have a reputation for reliability in all kinds of weather and terrain, have an expected 100K miles of life left in it, be inexpensive to service, and easy to find parts for.  I would like to pay $6K total to buy and convert it, i.e. bed, frig, counter, sink?, work table, floor space, closet, solar panel.

Any suggestions for years, makes, models, and features I should look for?  Where/how can I find a good deal?  If 6K is too low for my expectations, please suggest a reasonable cost.  Also, assuming no mechanical issues, what should be my asking price for the Camry?

Thanks, and nice to meet you!

K

Hi, Welcome to the forums and the beginning of your new adventure!

I'd look at Chevy Express Vans with the 5.7 or 5.3 liter engines. Both are pretty much bullet proof. You can probably find what you are looking to do with $6k. If you can find one with 150k miles or less, chances are good you'll get another 100 out of it, assuming the previous owner(s) took decent care of it. If you're patient you may even be able to find one that fits your budget with around 100k on it.

As far as what your Camry is worth, I'd go to https://www.kbb.com/car-values/ and enter your cars info and see what they value it at. Also check your local craigslist for similar cars and see what people in your area are charging for them.

Good luck on your adventure!

Welcome aboard Kelli !
What kind of business and how much related gear in addition to your living stuff?
What are your build abilities ? ( Cargo van vs conversion van)
I'd guess most will suggest an extended Chevy/GMC 3/4 or 1 ton.
Is your budget for everything or just the bare vehicle?

Welcome to the CRVL forums Kelli!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum's   :) 

I would think you could get something appropriate for 6K.  I agree the Chevy's are great for finding used parts
in abundance.   Plenty of mechanics who like working on them also in abundance.  LOL

Just how elaborate you want to finish the interior will be the determining factor in the design of your rig.

I have a website below that showcases how I went about getting my first one fitted out.  (lived near Aberdeen, NC back then)   It was just a bed,  kitchenette package, a couple of 5 gallon plastic Jerry Jugs and an igloo ice chest. 

I built my kitchenette from scrap wood and recycled 1/4" plywood.  Today I would suggest going around to a Cabinet Shop and seeing if they can find you a floor mounted double door Cabinet that has been removed from a home kitchen that is being rebuilt or a house being flipped.   They may just give it to you to carry it off. LOL

You could then get a piece of 3/4" thick ply wood to mount to the top of it for a counter.   Here you could find a stainless steel tray from a used restaurant supply company to use for a sink.  A hole could be cut for the tray to set in so it would look like a sink.  Then a small 2 burner propane cook top could be found and mounted to the counter.   I would suggest getting some thin metal to cover the counter with so any spills would be easier to clean up. 

Plastic water jugs with built in handles are easy to find.   Given your size you may want to stay with 3 gallon size ones.   A full 5 gallon water jug may weigh around 42 pounds where a 3 gallon may be 25 pounds.  Something to consider if you have to lug yur jugs very far to fetch water.

But this would be enough of a rig to get you on the road,  get some experience, and learn what would work  best for you. 

The other site below it is for when you actually hit the road.  It is a portal full of handy resources to know about while out there away form home where you don't know anyone.  Just access it with your cell or laptop
at a "McOffice" (McDonalds) Walmart, or Lowe's or anywhere you can get WIFI any time of day.  

Here's wishing ya all the best !

rvpopeye said:
Welcome aboard Kelli !
What kind of business and how much related gear in addition to your living stuff?  
What are your build abilities ? ( Cargo van vs conversion van)
I'd guess most will suggest an extended Chevy/GMC  3/4 or 1 ton.
Is your budget for everything or just the bare vehicle?

Thank you!
I'm an activities director.  Equipment is equal to living essentials.  Hmm....Maybe the Camry/Runaway setup should be my backup plan.
I build "community", but I've never converted a van.
I welcome any and all suggestions.
I'm flexible on budget.  If it's practical, I'll buy a sip of champagne with my beer money.  Being "house-less" in a jalopy won't do.

An already converted van might be an option then , although that would make it an older model compared to a cargo van you build out yourself.

There was a build gathering in Lake Havasu this fall where people brought their van and got help fixing it up.
There may be another next year...............this happens at RTR too.

A minimal set up to start off and adding things as the funds become available is another option.

Thank you!  I appreciate all of the detailed suggestions.  I'm sure my first rig will be basic.  I listed the items I want in my 1st post.  That's about it for starters.  What year and mileage are good for Chevy vans?  Are there any particular features I should avoid?